5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes!
With 275 recipes, you'll be sure to find some great ideas to add to your vegetarian (or vegan) cooking repertoire. Not all recipes are vegan, but many that aren't can be adapted.
Many vegan cookbooks contain recipes that either use unusual ingredients; this book for the most part is not like that. It's one of the best vegetarian cookbooks I've come across.
Published on June 26 2004 by Michael Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much tofu
I was disappointed with this cookbook and ended up returning it. Many of the recipes used tofu as a meat replacement. I was expecting the recipes to include a larger variety of vegetarian protein sources as an opportunity to learn to cook with them.
Published on Nov. 8 2010 by sblam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes!, June 26 2004
Michael Freeman (Blanchard, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes for Burgers, Steaks, Stews, Chili's, Casseroles, Pot Pies, Curries, Pizza, Pasta, and Other Stick-to-Your-Ribs Favorites (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookbook for Vegans AND Vegetarians, Aug. 28 2003
Sweet pea (WI United States) - See all my reviews
I really like this cookbook and use it just about every week.
There is a great variety in here and every recipe can be adapted for Vegans like myself. There are great entrees,dips,desserts,appetizers, you name it.
The five spice oatmeal cookies are a favorite in my home as well as the mexican casserole. Most of the recipes require ingredients you can easily find at your grocery store.
I highly recommend this cookbook, I bought it for five dollars new and it was well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, May 27 2004
By A Customer
I've been a vegetarian forever and own a lot of veg cookbooks. This is by far one of my favorites. I just found this book at Costco last year and many of the recipes have become staples in our home. I tend to prefer homey - comfort type food and this book totally fits the bill. I don't think I've made a single recipe from this book that we haven't enjoyed. I like that she gives you the option of making things vegan (we're not vegans, but I still like the choice of how rich I prefer a dish to be.) This is just a great cook book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time after time, this cookbook comes through!, July 23 2003
I am not a vegetarian, but my fiance is and I'm not complaining! I certainly eat a lot more vegetables now than ever before and if I can just get the tendency to overdose on carbs under control, all will be well. But another great thing is that I have the opportunity to explore a whole new world of cooking, one of my favorite hobbies.
As such, I've bought several vegetarian cookbooks in recent months-- I found recipes that I like in all of them, but by far, my favorite is The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook. Time after time, I picks something out of this book and give it a shot and it turns out delicious. Usually I have whatever it calls for in the cupboard-- not a whole lot of fancy things required here. The meals are normal, filling and feel like nothing special. That may sound bad, but it's not. Sometimes it's nice to just have everyday dinner without thinking about how vegetarian it is. This book is a great one for the non-gourmet vegetarian. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT for entertaining omnivores &/or reluctant vegetrians, April 16 2002
By A Customer
Although I usually frown on reviewing cookbooks w/o first trying the recipes, this one is an exception. The recipes are varied and designed to appeal to omnivores and reluctant vegetarians -- and thus perfect for entertaining. (They're also very clearly written.) The author explains that she has been a vegetarian for over 30 years, and in 1971 married a meat-and-potatoes man who hasn't changed his menu preferences, but is a strict vegetarian -- i.e., who eats the type of recipes in this book, which were designed to appeal to omnivores. They're appealing and varied enough to appeal to darned near everyone. My one and only complaint (and the reason I gave it only 4 stars) is that it mentions that some brands are better than others, but gives no hint as to which the author prefers -- which means that *I* will have to try umpteen brands to find which one(s) work in a particular recipe, when the author could easily have provided a starting point, at least giving ideas of what to look for <sigh>. But that's my only quibble; I LOVE this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearty meat-free main courses, May 10 2002
Robin Robertson's Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook includes salads, soups and desserts but is especially notable for its major focus on hearty meat-free main courses such as stews, casseroles, pot pies, and dishes which lie at the heart of vegetarian diets. Inspirations from other cultures from India to Italy enhance original creations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, May 6 2002
Suzanne (Eastern United States) - See all my reviews
This is the cookbook all us vegetarians have been waiting for, and it's also a great way for non-vegetarians to get started on making healthier dietary choices! Bravo Ms. Robertson! I also find that it helps when I want to make a meal for a mixed group of eaters, even the carnivores love these dishes. So, I imagine it would also be a good choice for a family whose members aren't all vegetarian. Everyone'll be happy and as a mom you'll never have to hear "OH MOM NOT TOAD-FOOD AGAIN!!!" :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw the other cookbooks away!!, April 5 2002
Sam Ragan (Guam, Pacific Islands, USA) - See all my reviews
Bravo-- this is the book I've been searching for!! Robin Robertson's Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes is informative, entertaining to read, and contains easy-to-follow recipes that are healthy, wholesome, hearty and delicious! From familiar comfort foods to exotic entrees, these bold, flavorful, 'macho-vegetarian' recipes will satisfy even the most die-hard meat-eaters out there. I strongly recommend this book to everyone who likes to eat well, and it would be a great gift too. ...

4.0 out of 5 stars New takes on old favorites!, April 7 2002
Karen C. Greenlee (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very creative cookbook with vegetarian recipes for dishes which were not originally vegetarian. I have tested a few recipes, which all turned out great & delicious. This is a great cookbook for recipes for kids too!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cookbook, Oct. 4 2012
this is a wonderful cookbook for the veggie wannabe. loads of wonderful recipes that include "meatlike" alternatives.i have found that you can easily incorporate tvp into many of the recipes, especially if you are a little hesitant about seitan