5.0 out of 5 stars How it helped me
Published on Nov. 21 2003 by Eric Ibsen

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Book, Slightly Flawed
If everybody who creates Web sites took Jeff Johnson's advice in this book, the Web would, for sure, be a better place. My only problem with it is that the advice could be better.
I was at the session at the Computer Human Interaction conference in Holland where Jeff Johnson spoke. But another Jeff, Jeff Raskin also spoke and showed how some of Johnson's examples...
Published on April 23 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pratical advice, July 7 2004
James B. Pogue (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GUI Bloopers: Don'ts and Do's for Software Developers and Web Designers (Paperback)
Overall I liked this book. It has many practical guidelines, that you can apply immediately. My only problem was there were many trivial bloopers and many bloopers which may not be bloopers. Again and again he refers to his reviews of client software. He rarely refers to his user studies or other research. This makes me question if some of his bloopers are really bloopers or just his opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars How it helped me, Nov. 21 2003
Eric Ibsen (Daly City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book knowing really nothing about gui design. It is a very methodical book and was extremely helpful to me. I even took the time to make a checklist of things to look out for and then applied the concepts to my designs. The result is that on every software demo we give of our product developed using the checklist, we get the same comments: "Wow! This is really easy to use/learn!" nuf said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Experienced developer opinion, May 26 2002
Julio Nobre (Faro, Algarve Portugal) - See all my reviews
I've been a developer over the paste 13 years so I am, as one said, the main target for cryptichism (from the author's point of view) in this book. But I've got to admit it, he is almost always, right. Never, in my life, i've found such an amount of good advices compiled together. If you want to improve usability this is a good choice.
Congratulations Mr.Jeff Jonhson! You are one of kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential guide for GUI software developers, April 3 2002
This book is an essential read for anyone developing GUI applications. The style of writing and the huge number of examples is very well suited to the GUI software developer.
Often books in this area are more suited to usability groups and so are too theoretical for developers to get into. With this book however, Jeff has produced a practical and essential development guide and avoids many of the research details that put developers off.
Not to leave out those that are prepared to delve deeper into the usability area, each chapter has concise references and a recommended reading section.
There are no excuses.
If you are developing or designing GUI applications you must read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well organized and full of practical issues, March 27 2002
ws__ (Hamburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This book is well worth reading. It has hundreds of useful ideas.
For usability issues Steve Krugs "Don't make me think" I still consider the best. Johnsons book is a little too thick to be easily read in one go of a few weeks.
Johnson manages it well to write a book which is both good to read and essentially contains a very long list of single issues.
The entrance into the book I found rather steep. Principles before examples are difficult to grasp.
Finally I found the extensive discussion of the books of his usability fellows valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Information for Real-Life Practitioners, Jan. 9 2002
Dan Keller "danomatic" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Since reading this, I've run across several UI bloopers on a project and was able to speak with authority about them. As the book predicts, the programmer resisted fixing them. But the book helped me make a strong case. The results? Better products, less support needed, happier customers. Valuable Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful checklist for your apps, Dec 5 2001
Johnson did a good job in compiling this checklist for all developers out there. I think most of his points are valid and it is not something that requires a PHD to figure out. However, compiling a list alone requires a lot of effort and it well worth your $40 bucks to have a professional done it for you.
Like most other readers, I was disappointed in the rather dry writing style (which the cover of the book suggests otherwise). It's bad not because it's dry, it's because this topic really *can* be written in more enjoyable style (and less lengthy).
The other bad thing is that this book can be used more efficiently if the illustration and its explanation were combined (with arrows and textbox to point out what's wrong).
I found that while I spent the past two days skimming through the text, in the process I marked each picture in the book so that later on I can use them as a list to check my own apps. I understand that the author might need to put in days/weeks/months to fix this "bug" but it'll save all of its readers' time and make this book worth more than $30 (that's what I value it, with the "bug" fixed, $40)
BTW, I found that it's not the UI mistake that's hard to correct. Rather, the problem in GUI development is social one.
If you tell your fellow programmers that something should be done this way and explain all the rational behind it (even he understands it afterwards), he'll still be rather reluctant to correct it because that implies he did it wrong in the first place (or he is not knowledgeable in UI design).
The point that the author raises is very valid, that programmers, in the average, are lousy designers and amateurs in preparing presentation and layout.
In summary this is definitely an educational book in UI design. But someone might as well publish all these ideas in a website with less words and more illustrations and accomplish the same goal more efficiently. And I would pay for it as it saves my time and I can educate the whole team (it's hard to ask your fellow programmer to read a 600 pages book with a topic that he would care less otherwise) and ultimately makes our product better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy knows his business!, Nov. 15 2001
Clyde (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
After completing only 2 GUI projects, I wish that I had read this book first. I would have saved hundreds of work hours. Now, I have the ultimate reference while testing, and defining the task......the bloopers are funny too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete how-to for GUI designers., Aug. 19 2001
Despite the title, the "Do's" section of this book is where the meat lies. The "bloopers" are used as lead-ins on how to design interfaces with a focus on usability. If you're even contemplating designing anything from a web page to an installation shield, you should read this book. Customers should read this book, and managers should read this book. The book's really not aimed at programmers or graphic designers, but they'll find it plenty interesting, especially since programmers and graphic designers often design GUIs.
Johnson gives us a widget-by-widget tour of labels, text fields, buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, and overall layout management. But he doesn't stop there. The notion of usability also extends into issues like consistency. Even more important is responsiveness, the chapter on which is worth the price of the book alone.
What makes this book so enjoyable is the multitude of case studies. These aren't meant to make you laugh out loud like Lucille-Ball-botching-her-line bloopers, but rather to get you to concentrate on the bigger picture of usability. The longer case studies of Johnson's experience as a consultant on a set-top-box design project and a game interface project are interesting if you're thinking about working with or becoming an interface design consultant yourself.
Another benefit of the book is that it takes you through common and common sensical design strategies starting from needs analysis to paper prototyping to early focus group testing and refinement. The references to deeper studies in many of these areas are plentiful.
This book is more focused on GUIs than books like Ben Schneiderman's _Designing the User Interface_, which is a useful, thoughtful survey, but reads like a Ph.D. thesis compared to _GUI Bloopers_. Johnson is also focused on usability, in contrast to something like the _Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines_, which focuses exclusively on graphical layout issues, such as how many pixels to leave around 9 point sans serif font in a button and what color scheme to use for highlighted icons.
One final note: Johnson ate his own dog food and usability tested his book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent book for UI developers and designers, July 23 2001
Serge Shimanovsky (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I would recommend to read this book to all UI developers, especially to those who never did UI programming before (I mean who been assigned to do UI programming without previous UI developmnet experience). Also, I would recomment to read it managers, who think that any prograammer could do UI "easily"!?
It's really helpfull book also for people using VB, Delphi, PowerBuilder, etc. integrated IDEs to build GUI - you'll recognize a lot of weaknesses in your lovely IDEs!
Anyway, it woth to read. And then decide if I'm wrong or not....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›