5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish
Published on May 2 2000 by foltz@writewithyou.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of samples, but not much else
The author included lots of excerpts from different family histories - but didn't have much information about how to do the background research, how to organize your records or how to craft stories out of a pile of dates and other records. I didn't find the book particularly useful.
Published on Oct. 17 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish, May 2 2000
This review is from: Writing Family Histories and Memoirs (Paperback)
I wish I had written this book. It is balanced and complete. I discovered it only after I had self-published a much smaller and simpler guide to writing family stories. Where my brief encouragement to older family members is intended to give them the confidence to write, Kirk Polking's 250-page summary will help even a seasoned writer in putting the family histories and memoirs on paper. My only reservation in recommending the book is that it definitely is not for the beginning writer. The writing examples are excellent and demonstrate her points well. However, one must assume that the would-be writer is well-versed in the rules of English usage and familiar with the finer concepts such as voice and tone.
I had intended to write a second guide to help my new storywriters in fine-tuning their actual writing content and individual writing stye. That is already covered quite well in Chapter 15, Self Editing Your FInal Manusctript. I especially appreciate the Twenty Rules for Good Writing, which Polking attributes to the Writer's Digest School, which she once directed.
My third book would have been intended for the more sophisticated taste and style of a good writer; exactly what Kirk Polking's manual has done for us. That is why I envy her accomplishment.
I recommend the book as a fine reference at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good approaches to writing interestingly about your family., Dec 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Writing Family Histories and Memoirs (Paperback)
I found this book extremely well-written, the American English, fluid and entertainly written, the contents structured for ease of use, the contents clear, succinct and in depth. It is filled with very helpful tips and outstanding quoted examples of family histories, biographical sketches and memoirs, showing how your genealogical research, your family stories and tales, and your raw family statistics can be assembled to showcase your family.
Kirk Polking, the former editor of Writer's Digest and former director of Writer's Digest School, demonstrates with her own skillful writing just how to write informatively and to be engaging at the same time.
I recommend the book highly. It can be easily obtained through the Amazon Marketplace at very reasonable prices.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of samples, but not much else, Oct. 17 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Family History And Memoirs, Oct. 26 2001
Linda Wilson (Grove City,OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Family Histories and Memoirs (Paperback)
I am working on my family history and this book will really help me. When you get into something new you need some kind of help and I really think this book is going to help alot.

Writing Family Histories and Memoirs
Writing Family Histories and Memoirs by Kirk Polking (Paperback - April 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01