1,420 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A childs story of life
A Child Called It
Dave Pelzer
1-55874-366-9
"I finally told myself, if I cry I die." This is a quote said by Dave Pelzer in his book that is telling of his survival within his own home, as he fights everyday just to keep going. He is brutally tortured by his mother everyday of his life after about the age of four, and this book tells of his will to survive,...
Published on Nov. 1 2002 by Dan C.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Survivor of Child Abuse, April 12 2007
This review is from: A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive (Paperback)
As a survivor of child abuse I found this book very emotional. This was a very good book that I think all adults need to read. Another really good book is This Can't Be Love! by Patricia Goins. That book had me glued to my seat, I couldn't put it down. As an adult with children I just don't understand how someone can hurt a defenseless child. Both of these books will take you into the world of an abused child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly horrifying and yet uplifting, Feb. 15 2005
This story A CHILD CALLED IT by David Pelzer is about one child's courage to survive. It takes place in 1973 in Daily City, California where there is a child being abused physically and mentally by his own mother. At first he lives a wonderful life with his whole family but one day all of that changed drastically. His mother beat him and actually told him that she hated him. Hate is a very strong word for a child seven or eight years old. As the story goes on in the book he tries to survive his mother's strong words and beatings. This story is sad but very inspirational to all. I recommend that all people should read this book because it shows a lot about parenting and childhood. If you're not deterred by child abuse and enjoyed such books as BARK OF THE DOGWOOD (Though that book is sometimes actually funny), then you'll like this Pelzer book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Called FANTASTIC!, March 23 2007
A CHILD CALLED IT was an amazing book about one child's courage to survive. This is one of the most brutal child abuse cases I have ever heard of. Throughout this book you see how the abuse starts and stops. The narrator/author lets you inside of his mind so you can experience how he felt and what he thought when his mother is causing him so much pain. The main character, Dave Pelzer, is incredibly brave for such a young person. He does things and uses his mind in ways that people my age may not think of. His mother is emotionally unstable and is an alcoholic. She brutally beats and starves Dave as a form of entertainment. These epic tales bring you into the lives of children who have to experience the horrific tragedy of abuse from those that are supposed to love and care for them. After reading this book, I know that child abuse continues to occur and it must be stopped. You must also read the books SYBIL and THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD to get completely different yet equally horrifying perspectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book called FANTASTIC!!!, July 5 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, Nov. 4 2004
By A Customer
This book tells the unforgettable story of a child of severe abuse. One of the worst cases probabably within the U.S. Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable mother, relates the story of his life. This is the first in a set of works written by Mr. Pelzer about his life. He relates to you even more about his life in his works "Lost Boy". You wonder how anyone could possibly come out of such abuse,let alone to become a respected author.
As a fan of memoirs, this is one of the most emotional books I have read. You will feel the anger and sadness...the feel of hopelessness as you read what this child had to endure. But, you also rally behind him-and await Mr. Pelzer's next books to see this courageous man overcome. Long after you have read this work, you will not be able to forget.
Along the lines of this book, "A Child Called It" and along with his other book that i have read "Lost Boy", you will also want to read "Nightmares Echo" and "Sickened". As each offers to you different perspectives of children that must endure the unbelievable and yet survive and inspire us with their works.

5.0 out of 5 stars putting myself in his shoes, July 15 2004
By A Customer
i am a 13 yaer old girl who was touched by the book. It breaks my heart to know that there are such crule people out in this world, not only a bad person in life but but in your family and to your own child. this boy has the heart of a lion and the courage to face it all out. To be able to survive such a misrible life such as his own takes a lot of bravery. As i read the book and looked back to some of the things that were writen and done to this boy put me in fear i mean what if your very own parents were to do that to you. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine what it would feel like to be treated with such disreaspect from your mother. I put myself in his shoes and felt the pain he must have been going through to be hit in the head and thrown against a wall every morning must have been very painful. I'm just glad to know that my parents are'nt like that. this book was touching and I'd read over a million times and would never stop feeling the pain he felt I recomend everybody to read this book because it is encouriging. It encouraged me to face out all my fears and the disapline my parents give me cause its nothing compared to his ........ so if he could face out all fear so can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Living through hell and coming out a survivor., June 19 2004
I cried, literally, for hours after finishing this book. It is beyond remarkable that Dave Pelzer managed to survive his childhood, not just physically but mentally as well. I won't go into too much detail of the book itself, because I feel that it is necessary for the reader to experience these events for themselves. However, there is one particular event that occures that I just feel the need to share:
In one chapter, after hours of abuse, Dave gets stabbed in the chest by his sick, deranged mother. He turns to his father who takes one look at him and then dismisses him, by telling him to go do the dishes. It is just inconcievable to me that one can do this to any human being, but least of all, to your own child. It's just... No, I don't think there is a word strong enough.
Throughout this book I feel such a disgust towards the abusors of this child, that I don't consider them to be human beings. I think of them as monsters, but that still doesn't answer the nagging question of "Why?". I just want to reach into the pages of the book, pull out this horrid excuse of a "mother", shake her and scream "why?" until I get a satysfying answer. But I'm not sure there is one. How can there be? How can there possibly be any kind of reason for what Dave Pelzer had to endure? It turns my stomach, just thinking about it. And I'm glad it does. Because, while I feel absolutely sick reading about the vile things that was inflicted upon him, it is important that i *do* read about it. It's important that I know, that this *has* happened. And it's important that *you* do to.
Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking Story, June 15 2004
By A Customer
David Pelzer,a troubled young boy, struggles to get through his hectic life. With his acholic,and abusive mother, who refers to him as an"it" his life story is filled aggonizing heartbreak, pain, and suffering. This book is a memoir of how this boy, David Pelzer, got through his life of hardship. He was stabbed, burned(by a gas stove), fed his brothers dirty diapers, and spoonfuls of ammonia. While this all is going on david's father stands by and watches this happen. David cannot believe this, so he developes a hate for his father. In the mean time his mother becomes more phyically and emotionally abusive. Then people start to notice, and David's mom gets mad at this. Luckly for David his teaher steps in to get him out of this mess. This story is told from the authors point of view. (he actually experienced this).
A Child Called It is an outstanding work of liturature, that revals the hardship of abused children. I felt as though I was in the story standing in the corner watching this happen to David.(almost like his dad perspective)Pelzer realistcally creates an emotion dialouge, and retells his story with so much detail.
A Child Called It is exciting, amotional, and moving. I recommend this outstanding work of lituature to anyone who likes to feel as if they were part of a story, as well as becoming attached to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review on A Child Called "It", May 31 2004
A Child Called "It" was Dave Pelzer's first main recognition for being an excellent writer. His autobiography is an unbelievable story about his traumatizing childhood when his mother badly abused him. He writes so that the readers can somewhat understand him and "feel his pain." He put you there. The other thing is he makes you think back to when you were that age, and if you can remember any kids like him that, now that you think about it, could've been abused. And if you were that kid, I could imagine this book make you feel not so alone and lets you know that there are others like you.
The theme of this book is obviously not hidden, he wants everyone to know that this sort of thing does happen to people, and it happens everyday. This way of breaking out is new, not many people want everyone to know they were abused as a child, but it's good to get the word spread, and if that's the only way it will happen, then Dave's a better and braver man for it.
As far as the plot goes, A Child Called "It" ended happily, so far - there is two more sequels-, with Dave getting taken away from his mother. But all the points leading up to that are gruesome and unthinkable. Before reading this book I didn't know a person who, in their right mind was capable of doing such things to their own child. "Mother then reached over and turned on the gas burners to the kitchen stove. Mother told me that she had read an article about a mother who had her son lie on top of a hot stove... 'You've made my life a living hell!' she sneered. 'Now it's time I showed you what hell is like!' Gripping my arm, Mother held it in the orange-blue flame. My skin seemed to explode from the heat. I could smell the scorched hairs from my burnt arms." So yes, this obviously told me that Dave's mom was not in her right mind.
After beginning reading this book I could literally not put it down. It was like a television drama, I had to stay tuned to find out what would happen with Dave next. So I guess you could say I got pretty into it. And the one thing that amazed me was, the way he incorporated humor and sarcasm while explaining his awful childhood. There were parts though, were I could picture him crying as he narrates his story. Those parts got to me. Especially the way he talked about his house. When I think about my house, I think of a warm and loving place, but the way he described it was horrible. "The policeman asks for my address and telephone number. 'That's it!' I tell myself. 'It's back to hell! I'm going to get it from her again!'" He dreaded returning to his house, because that meant more abuse. No child should ever have to feel that way.
Despite its horrifying descriptions of what happened to Dave, this book is definitely worth everyone's while to read. Everyone should know what really goes on in some households. And I'm sure Dave's not the only one whose abuse was this severe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having gone through abuse..., May 28 2004
Eric (El Sobrante, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I understand how David feels throughout his novel. Now I was not abused with forced starvation or having to wear old clothes everyday (that was later in my life), but the accout of the pain he felt, I was crying because I know that me and him went through with unstable mothers who beat us, and were treated like s*it. David tells us the fun times with his mom when he was younger, but as he got older, his mother would play sick games with him; having him put his finger in his throat to see if he ate, and not letting him take a bath and going to school looking like crap. Some of the things he put's in this book showed me that you can get beaten like him or even through a horrible situation, and still be able to survive. The games his mother played with him was once he was done with his chores, she gave him scraps of food and he would have to finish the plate in a time-limit, and if he didn't, he didn't get any food. There were times where he went without food for ten days. He would have to sneak into other kid's lunch boxes and steal food. There was another time where he would go to the local supermarket and steal food and hide it in the bathroom. One sick thing his mother did to him was when he was forced into the bathroom with bleach and ammonia in a bucket and was forced to stay in the bathroom until he was throwing up blood.
His father was not there most of the time, and he loved his father, but his mother was such a evil bitch! It is amazing to see that someone like Dave succeed through this and was able to become a stable adult with a foster family who loved him. It breaks my heart that this kind of abuse still goes on to this day, and still it is not exposed until it is too late. Read this book and get a understanding of how me and Dave had to go through. I never was tortured, but I was beaten until I was limping for sometime. It is not fun to be humilated by the woman who brought me into this world, but then they know that they got what's coming toward them. Just read the book and understand his pain.

A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive
A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.19