1,418 Reviews
 (1,164)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Survivor of Child Abuse
Published on April 12 2007 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Wilkins 7 ,A child called it
Reading A Child called it makes you think about how well off you really are. Some people complain about how restricting their parents may be and how they are sheltered, but at least most of us have parents who care about their kids, unlike David's mom. I guess you can say A child called it is a good book, but its about child abuse so there's not many positive things you...
Published on April 1 2004 by Tiffany Wilkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A Survivor of Child Abuse, April 12 2007
This review is from: A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive (Paperback)
As a survivor of child abuse I found this book very emotional. This was a very good book that I think all adults need to read. Another really good book is This Can't Be Love! by Patricia Goins. That book had me glued to my seat, I couldn't put it down. As an adult with children I just don't understand how someone can hurt a defenseless child. Both of these books will take you into the world of an abused child.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Difficult Read, Feb. 15 2012
The most disturbing book I've ever read.

The descriptions of horrific child abuse had me cringing. As a father I can't imagine the sick mind that could do this to their child. An essential read for anyone going into social work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly horrifying and yet uplifting, Feb. 15 2005
This story A CHILD CALLED IT by David Pelzer is about one child's courage to survive. It takes place in 1973 in Daily City, California where there is a child being abused physically and mentally by his own mother. At first he lives a wonderful life with his whole family but one day all of that changed drastically. His mother beat him and actually told him that she hated him. Hate is a very strong word for a child seven or eight years old. As the story goes on in the book he tries to survive his mother's strong words and beatings. This story is sad but very inspirational to all. I recommend that all people should read this book because it shows a lot about parenting and childhood. If you're not deterred by child abuse and enjoyed such books as BARK OF THE DOGWOOD (Though that book is sometimes actually funny), then you'll like this Pelzer book.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a moving book, May 30 2014
I have read this book probably 30 times. I had lent out my old book and it was never given back. I needed to replace. it is amazing to see what this child survived.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely horrifying., Jan. 10 2014
the best and most heartbreaking, sickening book i have ever read. a must read book that you will never leave your brain and cause you to always think twice about every encouter you witness

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult but enlightening, Dec 28 2013
This is not a book I would recommend as vacation reading. David's experience was horrific and terribly difficult to read. However, as a student of Social Services I found it to be educational and, as unthinkable as the acts committed against him were, he is one case out of millions. I am grateful he found the courage to share his past with the public because child abuse desperately needs to be addressed on multiple levels. Only through the revelations of stories like David's will teachers, social workers, and others know when children are troubled or how they can be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars grammy61, Feb. 5 2012
This is truely one of the best books I have ever read. I have read it over a couple times. It is very sad, and hard to believe stuff like this really does happen to children.I was reading it once and my 12 year old daughter asked me what it was about. I told her and she later borrowed it from the library to read herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Called FANTASTIC!, March 23 2007
A CHILD CALLED IT was an amazing book about one child's courage to survive. This is one of the most brutal child abuse cases I have ever heard of. Throughout this book you see how the abuse starts and stops. The narrator/author lets you inside of his mind so you can experience how he felt and what he thought when his mother is causing him so much pain. The main character, Dave Pelzer, is incredibly brave for such a young person. He does things and uses his mind in ways that people my age may not think of. His mother is emotionally unstable and is an alcoholic. She brutally beats and starves Dave as a form of entertainment. These epic tales bring you into the lives of children who have to experience the horrific tragedy of abuse from those that are supposed to love and care for them. After reading this book, I know that child abuse continues to occur and it must be stopped. You must also read the books SYBIL and THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD to get completely different yet equally horrifying perspectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book called FANTASTIC!!!, July 5 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents and educators, Jan. 21 2007
Juan Campos Calvo Sotelo (España) - See all my reviews
As a psychotherapist,If I had to choose a single book to recommend for a course on child abuse, this would be the one.

It is an eye opener and a warning never to be too naive about the disguises of adult abusers. It is also a hopeful book.

Juan Campos

A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive
A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.19