5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Book
A READER FROM NEW MEXICO WRITES:
Recently, for my mother's seniors' bookclub, I reviewed Suza Francina's book "The New Yoga for People Over 50". The experience was grand for several reasons.
Published on April 19 2002 by Candace Jacobson

2.0 out of 5 stars A Misleading Book
The photos in the book lead you to believe that with a few simple props and some effort an over-50 person of average flexibility can achieve the pretzel postures of Iyengar. I just don't believe it. I started yoga at age 65. I had done high-impact aerobics for 10 years prior and still do. I am quite active. But I will never be able to accomplish the postures that the...
Published on Sept. 7 2000 by Eva Deck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Book, April 19 2002
Candace Jacobson (Ruidoso,New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yoga for People Over 50: A Comprehensive Guide for Midlife & Older Beginners (Paperback)
A READER FROM NEW MEXICO WRITES:
First, Francina's book taught me how to make yoga accessible for seniors; and through that I quickly came to realize that I no longer had any fear of teaching yoga to an older crowd. In fact, the bookclub was inspired because
there were pictures of "real people" doing things that seemed possible.
My book review lasted fifteen minutes and the membership stayed another 45 minutes asking questions. This is the second and best reason the experience was grand. The club is interested in a follow up session. In the meantime
several members have started classes.
This book is important. It can help you get seniors moving in ways they never dreamed possible. It inspires me to approach seniors and teach them that yoga is a healthy path which enhances the quality of their lives. Thank you Suza Francina for a wonderful teaching tool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga and The Wisdom of Menopause, June 25 2003
I read suza Francina's book "Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause" because I am a yoga student and a menopausal women. I am also a nurse working in women's healthcare. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this book helped me on a personal level as well as a professional level.
The book is a wealth of information that can answer many questions regarding menopause and what our bodies might endure.
The book explains how yoga can support one's health during the menopause transition. She discusses such topics such as hormonal balance, fatique, hot flashes, pelvic health, osteoporosis, cancer and heart disease. The book shows how yoga can help women with any of these health concerns. The yoga poses suggested to relieve the side effects of menopause are clearly described and illustrated with photographs.
This book is very inspiring and I highly recommend it to my associates, clients and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Yoga Book for older folks, Feb. 13 2007
Clark Elliott "Clark" (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
This body/mind turned 60 last November, and I have started a yoga teachers certification program, so I can share my enthusiasm for yoga with older people. Yoga really is the best comprehensive health maintainance program I know of. And Suza's book is my yoga 'bible'. I will require my future students to purchase and study it. It offers an American style yoga, without all the East Indian/Hindu baggage that many other yoga books present. Really, how many of us want to know sanskrit? It is a joy to read...the print isn't too small. The stories and pictures of older yoga students are very inspiring. If you are older and want to explore yoga, buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, June 16 2002
Ruth M. Jansa (Bastrop, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I think the "The New Yoga for People Over 50" is one of the best yoga books I have ever read for the older generation. I am a yoga instructor and most of my students are 40,50,60,70. I have read the book three times, and am reading it again. I get something out of it each time to apply to teaching and my own practice. It gives hope to more mature people that they do not have to be inflexible. It shows you can start yoga at any age, and still get its benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Dec 2 2003
L. North "thinkfirst" (ID USA) - See all my reviews
The pictures in the book are very inspiring. It is what we all hope we look like when doing yoga over 50. This is a good companion book to another basic yoga book. This one gives special consideration to ailments and difficulties that are specific to the older generation. I lent my first copy and never got it back so I had to replace it. Its not a yoga book I can do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasurechest of Hope, Dec 31 2003
Ashwini Aragam (Worcester, PA) - See all my reviews
This book is not about any new form of Yoga, but how Yoga can be effectively used to address problems with aging. It addresses how Yoga can help fight common age-associated problems such as arthritis, osteoporosis, menopause, weak knees and legs. But the best part of the book is the Hope it gives its readers.
The book through numerous examples of people over 50 practising Yoga illustrates and instills such hope. Frank White's example alone is awe-inspiring.
Use of props is emphasised throughout, Suza being a Iyengar Yoga adept. Her experience in teaching those young-at-heart comes through that makes learning Yoga less intimidating. If you have thought your age is a barrier in learning Yoga or if you are a Yoga teacher, you won't regret adding this book to your Yoga library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga for Everyone, Feb. 8 2001
Linda J. Martin (Tempe, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
Although I have been doing yoga for several years, I find Suza Francina's book extremely inspirational. I love the stories and the photos. Each night (and sometimes during the day!) I re-read parts of the book and am reminded of poses that I need to do before calling it a day (and that's after having taken a yoga class)! To me, yoga is magic, and the people in this book echo that magic. Not only have I maintained my flexibility and physical health through yoga, but it has seen me through an extremely difficult emotional crisis as well. Reading this book reaffirms my faith in the power of yoga and my desire to teach yoga--I want to share this magic with as many others as possible. I have been alarmed as I saw friends with back and knee problems becoming less and less mobile--knowing that such immobility is creating the mold to make them even less flexible in the future. I guide these friends to this book. There are many other good yoga books "out there" but Suza's book motivates me like no other. There are big photo books with extensive descriptions of poses--most of which would require a classroom experience for beginners. There are esoteric books that few people ever read. This book provides inspiration--just looking at and listening to these women (and a few good men) make me want to live forever! I feel as though I know Suza Francina and her students. I know they care for each other. This book speaks to me. The New Yoga for People Over 50 is for everyone--including those who don't yet know they need yoga!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT TOOL/GUIDE FOR ANYONE OF ANY AGE!, May 19 2000
My aunt (a flourishing over-50 yoga devotee) recently sent me (a very stiff 33-year old beginner) a copy of Suza Francina's marvelous book, The New Yoga for People Over 50. I previously acquired Mira Mehta's authoritative How to Use Yoga, which I find quite instructive and aspire to begin using (yoga isn't as easy as it looks, folks!). However, I don't believe anything could inspire me as much as seeing and reading the testimonials of so many over-50 yoga practitioners in Francina's book; their execution of some of the more challenging postures is absolutely mind-altering!
Francina's book and her work in general are truly a blessing. Bolstered by the knowledge The New Yoga for People Over 50 has given me I have begun "converting" my mother, who frequents the weight machines at the gym. She is a fit and vibrant 54-year old, but her hectic lifestyle, which includes a six-day work week (she owns a business) needs the addition of yoga to ensure her health and longevity.
This book is a wonderful, invaluable tool for everyone, regardless of age. I hope to catch up with Francina's octogenarian students within a few years! With Francina and her students as examples, I expect I will do just that - and anyone who reads this book will be motivated to set a similar goal: feel better and live longer with yoga!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book; buy an extra to share with friends, July 11 1999
Carin A. Seebold (Beaumont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book has made a difference in my life! I have read several yoga books, but "The New Yoga for People Over 50" by Suza Francina spoke to my special needs. If you are seeking answers for questions relating to menopause, osteoporosis, healthy heart, etc., seek no more. This book provides answers. Her chapter on feet and knees is extremely helpful, providing the groundwork for specific needs. I keep this book handy as an excellent reference manual, both for myself and my friends. Additionally, this book is an inspiration to learn and practice yoga. The models are real and most are definitely over 50 years old. This in itself is an incentive. When you see people in their 70's and 80's, you are encouraged that you, too, can do yoga well into your "golden" years. After reading her book, I was excited to learn that I am close enough to Ojai (an hour's drive but well worth it) to take classes by Suza. She is an empowering teacher as well as a talented author. If you cannot attend a class, "The New Yoga for People Over 50" will more than suffice. Buy more than one; you'll want to share with a friend. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring for Individuals of Any Age!, Jan. 7 2001
Dr. M.J. Price (Zephyrhills, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
Suza Francina presents Yoga as it should be presented, as a fun, healthful way of life that can aid its practitioners in maintaining or reclaiming health. The active older adults pictured in various asanas are thoroughly delightful and awe-inspiring. I only hope to be in such fantastic shape in my autumn and winter years! As a Yoga teacher, Tai Chi and QiGong instructor, personal trainer, N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor) student, biologist, and lifelong health enthusiast, I recommend this book to anyone who has considered trying Yoga but has been concerned that it would be too difficult to be enjoyable or safe. This book reiterates that the practitioner should listen to the body's cues and should try to master the asanas slowly and gently, and that improving one's health IS possible. Also-superb health and vitality tips, info on osteoporosis, menopause, menstruation, stress, using props for safe execution of the asanas, and more. Well worth the nominal fee!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›