5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Yoga Book for older folks
Published on Feb. 13 2007 by Clark Elliott

2.0 out of 5 stars A Misleading Book
The photos in the book lead you to believe that with a few simple props and some effort an over-50 person of average flexibility can achieve the pretzel postures of Iyengar. I just don't believe it. I started yoga at age 65. I had done high-impact aerobics for 10 years prior and still do. I am quite active. But I will never be able to accomplish the postures that the...
Published on Sept. 8 2000 by Eva Deck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Yoga Book for older folks, Feb. 13 2007
Clark Elliott "Clark" (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yoga for People Over 50: A Comprehensive Guide for Midlife & Older Beginners (Paperback)
This body/mind turned 60 last November, and I have started a yoga teachers certification program, so I can share my enthusiasm for yoga with older people. Yoga really is the best comprehensive health maintainance program I know of. And Suza's book is my yoga 'bible'. I will require my future students to purchase and study it. It offers an American style yoga, without all the East Indian/Hindu baggage that many other yoga books present. Really, how many of us want to know sanskrit? It is a joy to read...the print isn't too small. The stories and pictures of older yoga students are very inspiring. If you are older and want to explore yoga, buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasurechest of Hope, Dec 31 2003
Ashwini Aragam (Worcester, PA) - See all my reviews
This book is not about any new form of Yoga, but how Yoga can be effectively used to address problems with aging. It addresses how Yoga can help fight common age-associated problems such as arthritis, osteoporosis, menopause, weak knees and legs. But the best part of the book is the Hope it gives its readers.
The book through numerous examples of people over 50 practising Yoga illustrates and instills such hope. Frank White's example alone is awe-inspiring.
Use of props is emphasised throughout, Suza being a Iyengar Yoga adept. Her experience in teaching those young-at-heart comes through that makes learning Yoga less intimidating. If you have thought your age is a barrier in learning Yoga or if you are a Yoga teacher, you won't regret adding this book to your Yoga library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Dec 2 2003
L. North "thinkfirst" (ID USA) - See all my reviews
The pictures in the book are very inspiring. It is what we all hope we look like when doing yoga over 50. This is a good companion book to another basic yoga book. This one gives special consideration to ailments and difficulties that are specific to the older generation. I lent my first copy and never got it back so I had to replace it. Its not a yoga book I can do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga and The Wisdom of Menopause, June 26 2003
I read suza Francina's book "Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause" because I am a yoga student and a menopausal women. I am also a nurse working in women's healthcare. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this book helped me on a personal level as well as a professional level.
The book is a wealth of information that can answer many questions regarding menopause and what our bodies might endure.
The book explains how yoga can support one's health during the menopause transition. She discusses such topics such as hormonal balance, fatique, hot flashes, pelvic health, osteoporosis, cancer and heart disease. The book shows how yoga can help women with any of these health concerns. The yoga poses suggested to relieve the side effects of menopause are clearly described and illustrated with photographs.
This book is very inspiring and I highly recommend it to my associates, clients and friends.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 25 2003
By A Customer
This is more hype than how-to. I have never had any patience with salespeople and sales is what this is about. The substance is minimal.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, June 16 2002
Ruth M. Jansa (Bastrop, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I think the "The New Yoga for People Over 50" is one of the best yoga books I have ever read for the older generation. I am a yoga instructor and most of my students are 40,50,60,70. I have read the book three times, and am reading it again. I get something out of it each time to apply to teaching and my own practice. It gives hope to more mature people that they do not have to be inflexible. It shows you can start yoga at any age, and still get its benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars lao tsu says, April 23 2002
Jim Myers (Fallbrook, California) - See all my reviews
"I think 'The New Yoga for People Over 50' ought to be a Medicare must!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lao Tsu Speaks, April 23 2002
Jim Myers (Fallbrook, California) - See all my reviews
"I think 'The New Yoga for People Over 50' ought to be a Medicare must!"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Book, April 19 2002
Candace Jacobson (Ruidoso,New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
A READER FROM NEW MEXICO WRITES:
Recently, for my mother's seniors' bookclub, I reviewed Suza Francina's book "The New Yoga for People Over 50". The experience was grand for several reasons.
First, Francina's book taught me how to make yoga accessible for seniors; and through that I quickly came to realize that I no longer had any fear of teaching yoga to an older crowd. In fact, the bookclub was inspired because
there were pictures of "real people" doing things that seemed possible.
My book review lasted fifteen minutes and the membership stayed another 45 minutes asking questions. This is the second and best reason the experience was grand. The club is interested in a follow up session. In the meantime
several members have started classes.
This book is important. It can help you get seniors moving in ways they never dreamed possible. It inspires me to approach seniors and teach them that yoga is a healthy path which enhances the quality of their lives. Thank you Suza Francina for a wonderful teaching tool!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR BEGINNERS, Sept. 6 2001
By A Customer
I NEVER DID YOGA AND BEING OVER 66 YEARS OLD I THOUGHT THIS BOOK WOULD HELP ME GET STARTED. CAN NOT DO THESE EXERCISES BECAUSE OF A BACK PROBLEM. FOR ME THIS BOOK HAS NO VALUE. SORRY.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›