5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy
Published on Dec 13 2003 by Kurt Messick

1.0 out of 5 stars NO stars!
From reading the other reviews, I guess there may be heartwarming stories in the book - but the first one I read was the last. I recently had to put to sleep my aged little dog, my best friend, and upon purchasing the book turned to a chapter I thought might help. It was ghastly, an ode to irresponsible pet ownership from the beginning to the end. The dog's 10 yr old...
Published on Dec 6 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy, Dec 13 2003
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul: Stories About Pets as Teachers, Healers, Heroes and Friends (Paperback)
Most of the series of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' has the kind of warm and fuzzy story that many find endearing and sweet. They are not 'deep' most of the time, but do point to things beyond themselves; for my own use, I often find sermon illustrations and stories within the pages of volumes of Chicken Soup -- as chaplain at a retirement centre, many of the stories help people to recall happier times, and help them deal with their present situation.
This particular volume involves stories with animals. The relationship between animals and people of all ages can make for some of the funniest, most heart-warming, most sad, and most meaningful stories. There are contributing authors of some note (Barbara Bush, James Herriot, Jimmy Stewart, Gilda Radner, Art Linkletter) among other authors who had stories to tell and volunteered them. Much in the manner that Readers Digest accepts unsolicited stories from amateur authors, so does the Chicken Soup series. Often the most meaningful stories are those that happen to people who are not professional writers.
Few animals are left out here, as many animals have come to be companions with humans over the centuries. Dogs and cats feature prominently, as do horses and other farm animals, but there are also wolves, birds, dolphins, deer, wild turkeys, gorillas and even a Christmas mouse. The stories cover a wide range of topics, including pets as friends and healers, animals as rescuers and performers of other amazing feats, animals whose companionship meant a lot, and finally on the sadness and meaning of saying goodbye to an important family member.
Each of this stories can easily be read in a short time. This makes it a good source for 'falling-asleep reading', for use in public speaking and preaching opportunites, for shared reading-aloud times, and for simple enjoyment and entertainment. Many of the stories here are ones that stay with you; the story about the wild turkeys and the story of the Christmas mouse are stories I use again and again in my chaplaincy, and they are always appreciated.
The editors of the primary series 'Chicken Soup' are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen; for purposes of this volume, they are joined by Marty Becker and Carol Kline, authors and animal-professionals in various capacities.
My cats give their paws-up to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy, Dec 13 2003
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
My cats give their paws-up to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book that will make you laugh and cry!, May 15 2002
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is a fantastic book for anyone who has a special place in his or her heart for animals. The book was made up of many different stories describing the special qualities that make our pets and furry friends unique. I rated this book a 5 because I found myself crying one minute and laughing the next. There are stories that will make you giggle, one in particular describes buffalo playing a game on ice. It made me realize that there are many things about animals that we don't understand- and never will. Who would have guessed that buffalo play games? The book also included stories that sent tears down my cheek. The story that stands out the most in my mind is a story about how far a mother cats goes to save her kittens. The love of the mother cat can relate to human mothers as well, they will do anything to protect their children. I believe that animals are fantastic teachers. One story in the book talks about how a gorilla helped to rescue an injured (human) boy after he fell into her area in the zoo. The author of that story explained that what is truly amazing about the gorilla is that she helped the boy without caring about recognition. She helped the boy because she wanted to, she didn't know that recognition was even a part of the act. That is exactly what us humans can learn from these animals. We need to help somebody because it's the thing to do, not because we want to be remembered as a hero.
I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul for anyone who enjoys animals or just wants to read a book that make you warm and fuzzy inside. The stories in the book will show you exactly why pets are teachers, healers, heroes and friends. You will realize how special they really are.
Also check out Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul for stories about teenagers that will inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories about pets as healers, teachers and friends, Jan. 16 2002
K. Kainula "kevinkainula" (Canada) - See all my reviews
With chapters on amazing animals, love, companionship and saying good-bye, each page captures the unique life-enhancing bonds between animals and people. A very good book for any pet-lover. I recomend it for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars My diary, Oct. 25 2001
This was a total diary of my life. It made me feel like hugging my dogs and not letting go. This book was so exciting I never wanted to put it down. Through good times and bad times pets always come through. It is easy for anyone to read and once you'll read it you will never put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing my own pet's stories, Oct. 11 2001
By A Customer
This great book inspired me to jot down tales of my own pet's antics and endearing traits. I found a great little journal that helped me organize and record my thoughts: THE BOOK OF MY PET, by Kate and David Marshall. Long live our furry friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 17 2001
By A Customer
After I read the first heart-warming pages, I couldn't put the book down for more than 15 minutes. This is the kind of book that makes you want to cuddle up with your pet and read the soul-tickling stories that are written over the 403 pages. Many times I found myself saying, "Wow!" or "Oh my gosh I can't believe that really happened!" But most of the time I found myself saying, "Aw, how sweet." I love how the stories are true. Once you open Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul, you won't be able to close it. You will love how just reading one 3 or 4 page story will make you remember it for the rest of your day. It teaches about how animals can be healers, heros, and teachers. I give this book 2 thumbs up, and in addition to the 2 thumbs, I give it 5stars as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 17 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book and The Pets, April 19 2001
By A Customer
Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul was a really good book.I love animals. I love reading about animals. This book was just the right book. The book just about made me cry sometimes. One of my favorite ones was about a boy who went to a camp and when he came back the next door neighbors dog had killed his dog that he was veryclose to.I think that if people love animals and love to read about them that this is just the perfect book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good., March 20 2001
Maria (Anchorage, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This book was really good. It was happy adn sad all at the same time and it makes a person really appreciate your animals.

ARRAY(0xa7b80e1c)