5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy
Published on Dec 13 2003 by Kurt Messick

1.0 out of 5 stars NO stars!
From reading the other reviews, I guess there may be heartwarming stories in the book - but the first one I read was the last. I recently had to put to sleep my aged little dog, my best friend, and upon purchasing the book turned to a chapter I thought might help. It was ghastly, an ode to irresponsible pet ownership from the beginning to the end. The dog's 10 yr old...
Published on Dec 6 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy, Dec 13 2003
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul: Stories About Pets as Teachers, Healers, Heroes and Friends (Paperback)
Most of the series of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' has the kind of warm and fuzzy story that many find endearing and sweet. They are not 'deep' most of the time, but do point to things beyond themselves; for my own use, I often find sermon illustrations and stories within the pages of volumes of Chicken Soup -- as chaplain at a retirement centre, many of the stories help people to recall happier times, and help them deal with their present situation.
This particular volume involves stories with animals. The relationship between animals and people of all ages can make for some of the funniest, most heart-warming, most sad, and most meaningful stories. There are contributing authors of some note (Barbara Bush, James Herriot, Jimmy Stewart, Gilda Radner, Art Linkletter) among other authors who had stories to tell and volunteered them. Much in the manner that Readers Digest accepts unsolicited stories from amateur authors, so does the Chicken Soup series. Often the most meaningful stories are those that happen to people who are not professional writers.
Few animals are left out here, as many animals have come to be companions with humans over the centuries. Dogs and cats feature prominently, as do horses and other farm animals, but there are also wolves, birds, dolphins, deer, wild turkeys, gorillas and even a Christmas mouse. The stories cover a wide range of topics, including pets as friends and healers, animals as rescuers and performers of other amazing feats, animals whose companionship meant a lot, and finally on the sadness and meaning of saying goodbye to an important family member.
Each of this stories can easily be read in a short time. This makes it a good source for 'falling-asleep reading', for use in public speaking and preaching opportunites, for shared reading-aloud times, and for simple enjoyment and entertainment. Many of the stories here are ones that stay with you; the story about the wild turkeys and the story of the Christmas mouse are stories I use again and again in my chaplaincy, and they are always appreciated.
The editors of the primary series 'Chicken Soup' are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen; for purposes of this volume, they are joined by Marty Becker and Carol Kline, authors and animal-professionals in various capacities.
My cats give their paws-up to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and fuzzy, Dec 13 2003
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My cats give their paws-up to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book that will make you laugh and cry!, May 14 2002
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is a fantastic book for anyone who has a special place in his or her heart for animals. The book was made up of many different stories describing the special qualities that make our pets and furry friends unique. I rated this book a 5 because I found myself crying one minute and laughing the next. There are stories that will make you giggle, one in particular describes buffalo playing a game on ice. It made me realize that there are many things about animals that we don't understand- and never will. Who would have guessed that buffalo play games? The book also included stories that sent tears down my cheek. The story that stands out the most in my mind is a story about how far a mother cats goes to save her kittens. The love of the mother cat can relate to human mothers as well, they will do anything to protect their children. I believe that animals are fantastic teachers. One story in the book talks about how a gorilla helped to rescue an injured (human) boy after he fell into her area in the zoo. The author of that story explained that what is truly amazing about the gorilla is that she helped the boy without caring about recognition. She helped the boy because she wanted to, she didn't know that recognition was even a part of the act. That is exactly what us humans can learn from these animals. We need to help somebody because it's the thing to do, not because we want to be remembered as a hero.
I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul for anyone who enjoys animals or just wants to read a book that make you warm and fuzzy inside. The stories in the book will show you exactly why pets are teachers, healers, heroes and friends. You will realize how special they really are.
Also check out Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul for stories about teenagers that will inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to reread and to share, Dec 20 2000
It's always a pleasure to find a book that is worth rereading a time or two, and this one definitely falls into that category. The book is a collection of true stories that explore the special bond between humans and their pets or, in some cases, their wild animal friends. Because each story is written by a different author, there is a great deal of variation in the writing styles and in the stories themselves, but almost every story is touching in some way. A lot of the book did leave me in tears, but it was still such an enjoyable read that I finished the book in less than 24 hours. My only complaint is that I felt too many of the stories focused on death or ended in death. Our pets lead such short lives, and I would have preferred a few more humorous or heroic tales.
Some of my favorite stories in the collection:
"Delayed Delivery" is the story of an elderly widow who is spending her first Christmas alone, until she becomes the recipient of a very special gift.
"Turkeys" is an amusing little story that is worth sharing. A young girl, sick with the measles and a high fever, wakes up to discover that her bed is full of baby turkeys. Is she dreaming?
"Doctola" is the only story in the collection that actually sent shivers down my spine. A young vet, working as a Peace Corps volunteer in Africa, is able to save the lives of two puppies. He is assured by the local "medicine man" the puppies will some day repay him, and they do, in a manner that left me both thoughtful and spooked.
"Babblers Anonymous" is the story that I could relate to more than any other. It's a short and humorous look at a sensible woman who is determined to treat her cat with the dignity he deservers, and to never ever be caught in the "baby talk" trap.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-read" for every pet-lover!, July 16 1999
V. Smith (A beautiful valley in the USA) - See all my reviews
Many stories to touch the heart--and the soul. Our pets become part of us; their unconditional love is something we treasure. When we are faced with losing them the pain and sorrow go beyond words to express!
After you read this book and smile-- and cry-- I would like to recommend two other wonderful books: one is FOR EVERY DOG AN ANGEL, an absolutely marvelous little book, that even though written for children, adults will love even more! The angel stays with pup throughout its life; "forever dog" and its "forever person" will eventually reunite; sometimes the dog will cross back over its "angel bridge" to visit in the interim. The author has had several experiences with her "forever dog", "Martha"; I have had a few with my little ones as well.
The next recommendation is for adults: THE SOUL OF YOUR PET. Stunning, solid evidence of animal afterlife; will startle the most hardened of skeptics. In addition, it is biblically-sound regarding pet afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Book For The Pet Lover, Feb. 23 1999
By A Customer
Pets, pets, pets. Just think about it. Everyone loves pets, so they finally made a book about pets called Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. In this book, there are many, many stories by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Marty Becker, D. V. M., and Carol Kline. The cost of this book is only $12.95. I got the book at Feeder's Supply or you could get it at any bookstore that carries the Chicken Soup Series. The ISBN number is 1-5587-4-571-8 for the paperback and 15587-4-572-6 for the hardback. The stories are very heart warming and range from a boy and his pet snake to a man raising a flying squirrel. Cartoons and poems are foung in many places throughout the book. Teaching, healing, bonding, being amazing, companionship, and saying good-bye are all found in this wonderful book Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Superb! Beautiful!, Jan. 2 1999
Any animal lover will appreciate this book and I would like to see those who do not possess a love for animals to read it and see how many become believers in the lives and feelings of one of our most valuable and blessed gifts from God. When I would begin to read this book I would say to myself, " I will read 2 or 3 then go to bed." Impossible. You cannot put it down. Yes, tissues were a necessity and prayers of thanksgiving were frequent. Most of all, again we are shown that God uses animals to help us in many ways and we are given the opportunity to receive blessings from coming in contact with God's creatures. Another book that clearly portrays God's purpose of putting humans and animals together is Ralph Helfer's "Modoc: The World's Greatest Elephant." A quite moving read.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 16 2001
By A Customer
After I read the first heart-warming pages, I couldn't put the book down for more than 15 minutes. This is the kind of book that makes you want to cuddle up with your pet and read the soul-tickling stories that are written over the 403 pages. Many times I found myself saying, "Wow!" or "Oh my gosh I can't believe that really happened!" But most of the time I found myself saying, "Aw, how sweet." I love how the stories are true. Once you open Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul, you won't be able to close it. You will love how just reading one 3 or 4 page story will make you remember it for the rest of your day. It teaches about how animals can be healers, heros, and teachers. I give this book 2 thumbs up, and in addition to the 2 thumbs, I give it 5stars as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 16 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome book, June 26 2000
By A Customer
This book is a really good book at a fabulous price. Some people may think that 7.99 is alot, but at other bookstores it can be as much as 15 dollars! In this book there are a couple catergories: 1. On Love, 2. Pets As Teachers 3. Pets As Healers, 4. Celebrating the Bond 5. Amazing Animals 5.On Companionship and 6. Saying Good-bye. They have a bunch of stories for each chapter. The stories are true, and it makes you stop and think about how much animals help us through diffucult times in life. I thought the last chapter was hardest to read because it's sad. But it shows you that you have to face the truth sometime, no matter how much you don't want to. I recommend this book to anyone who has ever experienced the love and healing power of animals.

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01