4.0 out of 5 stars vastly entertaining and downright funny at times (4.2)
I'll admit this movie is no masterpiece,but it is vastly entertaining.to
me,Leslie Nielson is perfectly cast as Mr.Magoo.if you don't know the
character of Mr.Magoo,he was originally a cartoon character who is
absurdly near sighted,leading him into all kinds of trouble,yet he is
generally oblivious to most of what's going on.oh yeah,he is also...
Published on Aug. 31 2007 by falcon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily excellent
Published on Feb. 19 2003 by Kyle Bolme

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars vastly entertaining and downright funny at times (4.2), Aug. 31 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'll admit this movie is no masterpiece,but it is vastly entertaining.to
me,Leslie Nielson is perfectly cast as Mr.Magoo.if you don't know the
character of Mr.Magoo,he was originally a cartoon character who is
absurdly near sighted,leading him into all kinds of trouble,yet he is
generally oblivious to most of what's going on.oh yeah,he is also very
wealthy.the live action movie portrays the character pretty much
exactly the same.he always seems to come out of any potential trouble
with virtually no signs of any problem.in the movie,Magoo,helps solve a
crime and help put the baddies in jail,with a lot of help,from both his
nephew and his dog.yes,i said dog.this dog is is very intelligent and
saves Magoo from many mishaps,both minor and major.Kelly Lynch portrays
one of the criminals and she does a very fine job in her role.not to
mention she is hot,hot,hot.anyway,like i said earlier,the movie is
certainly very amusing,and contains an absolutely hysterical sequence
with Magoo in the kitchen.there's also some great action and some great
martial arts moves,courtesy of Lynch's character.for the most part,this
is a great family movie,with maybe a bit of mild language.for me,the
live action version of Mr.Magoo is a 4.2/5 based simply on how
entertaining it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily excellent, Feb. 19 2003
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
This was basically your average comedy movie. First half wasn't very funny; second have was hilarious. First of all, Leslie Nielsen plays a great Quincy Magoo, acting like he is blind, and all. Angus, the dog, is a pretty good part, too, though some of the gags near the beginning with Angus didn't really hit the spot. Some jokes hilarious, for example, the chicken scene. Only poor Mr. Magoo could end up sandpapering a boiling chicken!
The other acting wasn't that great, unfortunately. If the other actors hadn't acted like it was so much of a drama, and treated it more like a comedy, it could've turned out a little better. I would recommend this for lovers of comedy.
Recommended for ages 6 and up. Rated PG for mild language (hardly noticeable) and some action sequences.
This movie may be a bit scary for younger children, because of some of the gun fighting, but this is lightened up by the near-sightedness (or is it pure stupidity?) of Magoo. Younger children will enjoy the silly slapstick comedy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing extremely great or terrible.....2.5 stars from me, Dec 7 2001
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
I haven't ever watched the cartoon of Mr. Magoo, but I always heard what it was about. I don't know why, but when I heard about Leslie Nielsen (one of the best comedy actors there is) starring in "Mr. Magoo," I wanted to see it.
Mr. Magoo is a VERY visually impaired and wealthy man. He unfortunately gets involved in the middle of a plot that deals with thieves stealing extremely valuable jewels. Whether Mr. Magoo successfully gets out of the middle of the action or not, one thing's for sure, he sure needs a new eye doctor.
Unlike what I've read from some of the other reviews, I didn't think that Leslie Nielsen did a bad job at all in "Mr. Magoo." I do agree that the movie seems generic and that it is somewhat pointless, but I still moderately liked it. Mr. Magoo isn't trying to be funny, but he is, since he is nearly blind. You will see him do such things such as go fishing and catch a man, but think that he has a lunker of a fish, take what he thinks is a skiing detour, but that is actually the edge of a cliff, and a lot more.
I thought Leslie Nielsen did a great job of acting like he was nearly blind, and the rest of the people in the film did ok, but not great, with the exception of the dog, who was brilliant.
As for the movie itself, "Mr. Magoo" isn't one of the best comedies and it's not one of the funniest, but I did think parts were hilarious. But there were also many parts that tried to be funny, that didn't even make me grin. All in all, it's a mixed bag of laughs and failed grins. If you're a fan of comedy movies and Leslie Nielsen films, I would recommend renting "Mr. Magoo" before buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny!!!, Nov. 4 2002
This review is from: Mr. Magoo (DVD)
It is indeed very interesting and amusing to see the cartoon Mr. Magoo 'come to life' acted out by non other than the great comedian Leslie Nielsen. I burst out laughing a few times watching this movie, for example, the part when Mr. Magoo was trying to prepare the 'chicken dish' for the lovely but fatal Prunela (Kelly Lynch). He was watching a 'cooking' program when it was changed to an 'aerobics' program and next to a 'carpentary' program. Mr. Magoo as usual being visually impaired, went through all the 'rituals' with his chicken. It was hilarious! Get this movie and laugh your way through with Mr. Magoo from the beginning when the jewel was stolen to the end when he restored it to its rightful place, all the while not realizing the dangers he was in. This is because as in the cartoon, he always walks away smoothly from all harm despite his bad eyesight. This is a wonderful movie for 'tired, sore' eyes!

1.0 out of 5 stars oh Leslie, June 15 2001
This review is from: Mr. Magoo (DVD)
First off, for those of you that like my reviews, you have probably noticed that I either totally like a movie, or totally despise it for killing brain cells. This, to those of you, is the latter. Mr Magoo, a retired idea from a retired cartoon, that neither should have made it past phase one. After you laugh at one thing (As Ebert said about Money Pit) you have nothing more to laugh at. The jokes are neither funny nor inspiring. New material is essential to the survival of a comedy. Unless, that is, you enjoy redundancy. Leslie Nielson, is one of my favorite comedians, (With the exception of the unnecessary Wrongfully accused, in which I laughed twice) and I have to say he was the best for the job. But, how unfortunate for him, that the material was plucked from an animated floozy. I am mr magoo, here is my chicken.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Magoo, June 7 2001
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
almost everyday I watch a new movie, and since more than 5 years I didn't watch something like this, this movie should have an academy award for the WORST MOVIE IN HISTORY OF CINEMA. here I took some notes from other people reviews and I think I can not say anything more:
1 - The dog was the best actor of all 2 - In the worst performance of his career, Leslie Nielsen stars in Mr. Magoo 3- it's hard to believe that movies as bad as this actually get made.
I couldn't believe how Leslie Nielsen agreed and signed a contract for this movie I've always considered him one of the best Comedy actors and I didn't believed that he worked in this movie.
bottom line : 1.10 hours waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 26 2000
"poverty@epix.net" (saylorsburg, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
Definately one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. I laughed from beginning to end. I've always been a big fan of Leslie Nielsen and he has played many a funny part. I saw this on the Disney Channel and wanted to own the movie myself. I, myself am 39 years old, but love a good comedy and am a great fan of Disney! Anybody who watches this movie and says it isn't funny, must not enjoy the simple things in life, or at least, making fun of it. Keep up the great work, Leslie!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Magoo stinks!!Pwew!, Jan. 5 2001
This review is from: Mr. Magoo (DVD)
I am dictating for my 5 year old son.....Mr. Magoo is the stupidest movie in the world, so far. That movie is also very unfunny. The previews were the only reason we got the movie. I laughed once, when the dog fell in the snow. The dog was the best actor of all. > But, I still hated the movie and that movie is sooooo outrageous. My favorite funny movie is Home Alone. For funny, stupid movies try Mouse Hunt or Flubber. Have a good time with those movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE!, Aug. 21 1999
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
I thought this movie was very funny! There are alot of laughs and funny scenes. Mr.Magoo is near sighted, so he reads signs wrong and walks off cliffs.There was a little violence, like kicking and punching, but very little of it in the movie. The one thing I didn't like was at the beginning it started out as a cartoon, then went to real life,and ended as a cartoon. But overall it was a great movie! I recommend it to anyone ages 7+

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS WAS VERY,VERY BORING AND I NEVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, April 3 1999
This review is from: Mr. Magoo 97 (VHS Tape)
I watched this movie once and it was 5 minutes in and I hated it.You know the ratings on movies and books in ''Seventeen magizne'',well i give this poor.I really feel sorry for people who have to see this more than once.If you're looking for a good movie how 'bout Practical magic or scream.If you're younger how 'bout freaky friday or homeward bound.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mr. Magoo
Mr. Magoo by Stanley Tong (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 93.85