5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent
My grandmother is (still) a great collector of all things Snoopy. Back in the 70's, when I used to visit my grandmother's house, I remember spending a lot of time reading some of those early collections of Peanuts cartoon strips. They are one of the many great memories of my youth. Now, we have a collection of the very first Peanuts strips. Magnificent!
How many...
Published on June 15 2004 by Timothy Haugh

3.0 out of 5 stars I Guess It'll Have To Do...
My rating, which will anger some, is an average of two things: five stars for Charles Schulz' classic work, and one star for the presentation. "Peanuts" is an American masterpiece, and at long last we have the earliest stuff here, in the dawn of its development, with real graphic beauty, a groundbreaking and highly influential look, and just a hint of the...
Published on May 11 2004 by J. D Suggs

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Legend and A Must Own!, April 30 2004
Barbara Rose (BornToInspire.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
The incredible work that went into this amazing collection will take you back 50 years to the incomparable work of the beginning of Charles Schultz' creation of The Peanuts, a classic of cartoons that have become a loving and living legend in the hearts and minds of millions.
The original comic strips have been preserved, and we are so fortunate to be able to enjoy this innocent and wonderful part of our culture in this and forthcoming volumes depicting each cartoon illustrated by Charles Schultz.
This is definitely a collection that you will treasure, depicted in chronological order, and hard bound, it is a wonderful collection that can be enjoyed for generations. Highly Recommended for its value and for preserving the great characters that have touched so many lives. 10 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation, May 8 2004
tashcrash (South Shore, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
THIS is the stuff! This was the big bang of modern comics, and the beauty of it is its mix of zen-like simplicity and psychological/ cultural complexity. These are still, even in their raw form, the best versions of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, simultaneously the closest in representation to their imagined yet conceivable real-life counterparts, and the strongest in graphic design. While I love the patented squiggle of later Peanuts (not to mention the invention of Woodstock), there is something so knowing-yet-innocent, something so exceptionally endearing about this era that was inevitably lost as the late 1960s took hold, not to mention the rampant commercialization of the 70s onward. The book itself could not have been more respectfully designed!

5.0 out of 5 stars There will never be another Charles Schulz .., May 11 2004
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
A look that you don't see very often on any Peanuts cover...an angry Charlie Brown. I loved to see the early years of the strip I never got to see as a child. The Sunday strips should be in color and I would pay that extra to see them! That would be my advice to the publishers. I am going to follow this one for the next 12 years because I love Peanuts. It was one of my first comic strips I read as a child and I still love to read the old ones to this day. I was hoping that someone would make the complete strips available. I never thought that the publishers of the Comics Journal would be the ones to do so. Who think that a few years ago that Fantagraphic Books could take on a project of this magnatude?

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, a chance to relive my own childhood, June 4 2004
John Keady "Irish Tenor" (Reston, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
Charles Schulz embodied the heart and soul of every man and woman who read his strip. In Charlie Brown, the unbridaled optimism in the face of constant setbacks. In Linus, the expressions of simple faith and noncomformity. All the characters embodied a part of ourselves that we could all point to and relate with. His passing almost 4 years ago still strikes me as one of the saddest moments in my life. There are few people in this world that can touch so many with their gifts. Charles Schulz and his kind spirit will forever be a part of my life and when I have children of my own, Peanuts will one of the first things I will give to my child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to one of the great storytellers, May 7 2004
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
At last!I have been waiting for nearly thirty years for a publication of complete Peanuts. The early comics are difficult, and expensive, to come by.
They lack the streamline of the later strips, and are quite amateurish some times. He was still finding his way. But the genius so apparent in the later, especially the seventies strips, can already be seen.
I will read, and rearead, this one. I will plague my wife with it, forcing her to read the pearls.
Peanuts is one of the few cartoons that have really changed over the years, so this will be welcomed by the serious Peanuts fan and student alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immaculate, canonical and complete but no color, Jan. 25 2014
Rob Slaven "slavenrm@gmail. com" (Zionsville, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
Brilliant Schulz but some things you should know...

* These are sadly all black and white, even the Sundays that were printed in color. Luckily, there is a second series of books that contains all the full-color Sundays. Just search for 'Peanuts Every Sunday'

* Each volume contains a brief introduction by some famous fan of the strip. They're vaguely interesting but I've never bothered to read any of them all the way through.

* If you're crazy anal as I am note that there are two slightly different versions. If you want them all to match on your shelf then take VERY careful note of the exact publisher and edition.

* Finally, take careful note of the evolution of the series. The very early strips from the 50s are almost like a totally different strip. If buying for a gift, you might consider one of the later books in the series. Completists will want them all but if the receiver is on the fence then the 50s isn't the place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh, the good ol' days, May 7 2004
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
These early Peanuts strips, crude as they are, remain my favorites. The characters are not yet fully formed, so they are allowed to express a wider range of emotions than they would in later years. Even Charlie Brown can be a bit nasty!
For the record, however, I should note that the initial Sunday strips likely were in color, though they are printed in black-and-white here. Color Sunday comics pages predate Peanuts by a good number of years -- Chester Gould's Dick Tracy, for example, was known for its dramatic, colorful Sunday strips.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Oct. 17 2006
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
This is the first in a series of books that will reprint every single "Peanuts" comic strip ever published, and Schulz was off to a great start. Some strips are just funny, some are downright hilarious, but it's an amazing, if somewhat dated, collection. (You might be confused by the word "druggist"; it's the manager of some sort of store.)The cast isn't as big as it will get later, and Lucy and Linus are not the characters they'll become. Overall, it's a great book, and if you get it, you won't have any regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Peanuts" When It Was Actually Good, June 10 2004
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
This recommendation is from someone who loathes the "Peanuts" comic strip that most people are familiar with - the strip from the last couple of decades of its run. I doubt that I ever saw a "Peanuts" strip from that era that made me smile, let alone laugh. But this book is from the glorious days when the strip was actually fresh, clever and funny. If you think you hate "Peanuts," you should take a look at this book and discover that "Peanuts" was once acutally good.

4.0 out of 5 stars YES PEANUTS WAS FUNNY, June 14 2004
This review is from: The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 (Hardcover)
Yes every time has a best comic and Peanuts was IT for a long time. The last few years were rather painful for fans but still on occasion funny. You could never count Shultz totally out. You always had to read Peanuts just in case. [ You are not going to believe this but Garfield was once great too. Then came Bloom County and now there are many good ones but Dilbert is now without question IT. ] I am glad they are rereleasing the early stuff so now maybe my friends will stop saying how LAME Peanuts is.

The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952
The Complete Peanuts Volume 1: 1950-1952 by Charles M. Schulz (Hardcover - May 18 2004)
CDN$ 34.50 CDN$ 19.75