5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, July 11 2004
David Somers - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Pros By Pros: Measuring, Marking & Layout: A Builder's Guide (Paperback)
If you're planning on building any of the hard parts of a house like footings, foundation, floors, walls, ceilings, roofs, stairs, masonry or shingles, you will want this book so you can figure out how to make them plumb, square, level, and evenly distributed. (I think that covers most of the carpentry sections)
He shows a few options for arriving at each layout, typically mathematically, from charts, and from pictures, so if you have trouble with one of them you can try another.
Octagons aren't very popular in my neighborhood, but if those (or other polygons) appear in yours, you'll find he has good information on them too.
I'd recommend a read through the book for suggestions when you first get it, (I did that in a long evening) and if you're a really good student you can follow along with all the examples. (I wasn't). But keep it by your side and read the chapter you need as you build. It will pay for itself in saved time and straigher work on the first job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for learning or reference, April 18 2001
Todd J. Niblo (Portsmouth, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I am a project manager for a commercial / industrial contractor. So many times I am changing gears, direction . . . in coordinating the project. Calls from other contractors and or the field keeps you busy and frequently having more to do immediately than you feel you can do in days. But this book is useful. While much of it relates to residential construction, simple layouts and thought processes do not change. While so many times I am challenged with laser layouts and trades that swear their layout is on the money, a few time proven methods and understanding can prove the " sure money " wrong. This book is well organized, clearly written and the compilation of formulas and calculations is helpful. This book will prove to be very useful for a do it yourselfer or anyone working within the trades or offices alike. I certainly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Carroll has written the book novices have needed., June 22 1999
By A Customer
This book shows great insight as to the information the master and novice need before beginning any project.And he not only made it usable but easy to understand.The shop teacher at the high school where I work plans to order several for his students.Great work, MR. Carroll!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that answers questions..., Dec 8 1999
By A Customer
This is a book I have enjoyed reading and learning from. The book is well worth the money. I have purchased a copy for my son and he found it to be very helpful to him in his work...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 17 2000
This book is a must have! Great information and laid out well. I wish I had known about this book earlier.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a keeper, March 26 2000
By A Customer
This book is well thoughtout and covers all the details a builder needs to do accurate layouts. I would recommend it for both those learning and the professionals in the building trades as a reference source. I have seen and purchased some of the authors other books and would not recommend them to building professionals.
I liked that this book is hard covered. The diagrams used to explain the concepts are accurate and concise. It is not "exotic" in the types of layouts it covers but covers the basics well. Lead carpenters and journeyman layout carpenters won't find much new here. But for apprentice and carpenters and builders still learning there trade it has merit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with good diagrams, Oct. 2 2010
Vic guy (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
This is a great book that was particularly helpful to me for layout of a house foundation and excavation. Best used as a reference book before starting a big job.

For Pros By Pros: Measuring, Marking & Layout: A Builder's Guide