5.0 out of 5 stars It opened up a whole new career for me.
Published on April 8 1998 by Evana Maggiore (evanaam@aol.com)

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable and interesting with some good ideas
I found the book to be useful in explaining the elements and giving examples for balancing elements in living spaces. Maybe this isn't the greatest explanation the the traditional Chinese practices and philosophies, but it gave me some good ideas. Psychosomatic? Maybe. But who cares, as long as it has a positive effect? I could have done without the testimonials.
Published on Dec 28 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It opened up a whole new career for me., April 8 1998
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
The Western Guide was the first book I read on the subject of Feng Shui. It was such a clear treatise on a very complex subject I was inspired to study with Ms. Collins at her Western School of Feng Shui in San Diego, CA (advertised in the back of the book). As a result of her training program, I have been practicing Feng Shui professionally for almost two years now. The Western Guide to Feng Shui did indeed create harmony and prosperity in my life! Since that time I have read many other Feng Shui books, but Terah's method still rates at the top for clarity and western practicality. VERY highly recommended - the best book for those new to the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Sept. 23 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
Wow how nice to get such great information that could change the way you live....& your well-being.
Love Feng-Shui..it is so calming.
Didn't think that changing a few things around you make such a difference,
Yes, nature is calming. Placement of furniture, buildings, plants, water, stone or brick, even metal all affect our psyche. I always keep this concept in the back of my mind in making alot of decisions.
I refer to this guide quite often.
Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harmony in family life for under twelve bucks?, June 5 1997
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
Okay, I'll admit I was seduced by the subtitle, ". . . Creating Balance, Harmony and Prosperity in Your Environment." I need all the balance, harmony and prosperity I can get.

Feng Shui (that's FUNG SHWAY to us mortals) is the ancient Chinese art of placement (does anyone but me notice there's never a modern Chinese art?). I came from the 1950's Irish-American art of placement: "Use a coaster! Don't lean on your elbows! Get your feet off the coffee table!"

The idea of Feng Shui is that by correct placement of objects around my environment, I will maximize the 'Chi' or energy in and around my physical world. Hey, I believe this. In college I rearranged furniture in my dorm room every month. I continued this even after I married a man who, given the option, would nail down furniture. These days I'm too tired to change the television channel after everyone has gone to bed. In this book there's a Chinese saying: "If you want to change your life, move 27 things in your house." I do this every morning trying to figure out where my son left his gloves, his hat, or his lunch box. My life hasn't changed yet.

The author claims that "Relaxation, rejuvenation, and recreation are the three primary functions of a home." The three primary functions of my house are collapse, incoherence, and get-ready-for-the-next-round-of-laundry. The front door is the gaping mouth, where all the chi enters the home. All doors are entrances for chi, which is why doorways should never be blocked and should open freely. I haven't been able to open a door in my house without banging into something since 1988. I'm in chi debt until the millenium and then some.

Halfway through the book I learned my rooms are laid out poorly, my bedrooms in the wrong place, and my blocked doors are draining me of energy. She didn't mention what stepping on those little green army guys does to your chi. It can't be good.

Ms Collins says for optimal chi, my environment should be clutter-free, contain my treasures and photos of my loved ones, fresh flowers and natural crystals to circulate chi to energy-low areas. I was getting energized just reading this book. Hey, I could throw some stuff out, rearrange the furniture, put out my crystals and burn scented candles. Maybe there's something to this. Ancient Chinese arts have to be based on something.

I was telling my husband the highlights of all this when our eight-year-old son came into the room. In quick succession he argued about his homework, his chores, his sister, and tried to negotiate a later bedtime. When he left I slumped over in my chair. My husband looked at me and asked, "Does the book say anything about living with the 'Anti-Chi'?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Using this book as a reference for building a new home., June 18 1999
LenoreJG@hotmail.com (North San Diego County) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
I've used the practical info from this book in my present home with great success. I've compensated for a cut-off travel corner and love corner. Dare I say my marriage is happier and I'm actually getting tired of traveling so much? I also placed a water fountain near the front door (career area) and our business is going gangbusters. Coincidence? I don't know but even my pragmatic engineer husband believes. Now I'm building a new house on a piece of land and I'm using Feng Shui principles in the design. I did note that my architect uses the same principles unconsciously such as positioning the house according to prevailing winds and direction of the sun. This shows me that Feng Shui uses down to earth design principles that are timeless. Highly recommended as an introduction to Feng Shui.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book on Form School Feng Shui, Oct. 23 1999
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
This is a wonderful explanation of the philosophy and easy-to-understand, practical, application of "form school" feng shui (the school/method of feng shui most popular in the U.S.). After reading probably 10 other feng shui books, it was one of the first that was clear yet in-depth with explanations to support the advice given. What is called the "form school" (also called black hat sect feng shui), as is explained in this book, is one of two basic feng shui approaches. The other approach is the traditional "compass school" approach, for which I recommend the Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui. Out of all of the feng shui books I've read -- these two are many steps above the rest to understand the two basic feng shui approaches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but needs a little more work, May 8 1997
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
This book was of great interest to me as a new home owner. However, Feng Shui is presented in a somewhat biased manner, as a cure-all for healing lives. Certainly, our environments can be places of healing and nurturing energy, but the bottom line is personal preference and common sense. (in life, as well as interior decorating!) Each person has their own likes and dislikes. For example, many people enjoy having high ceilings and an open floor-plan, while others prefer more "yin" environments, with lower ceilings and dimmer, smaller rooms. Socrates said most wisely, "All things in moderation." I still believe that Feng Shui needs more westernization for it to be practical, useful, and accessible to the average American or European

4.0 out of 5 stars I need new copy because a friend swiped mine, Aug. 6 2001
Nancy A. North-gates "nancyng" (California) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
I found this book very helpful. It was originally reviewed by a student of mine for a college class which led me to buy Collins' other book "Feng Shui Room by Room". I like the other book even better (I would give it 5 stars). These books bring the concepts into focus for use in a western setting. I transformed two major parts of my house within the first week and it was life changing. In fact I was able to make some powerful changes the first night. Also I didn't spend a lot of money but rather used things I already owned and loved that were either in storage or in the wrong place. I found myself loving my house for the first time in many years instead of constantly thinking about moving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and useful, Dec 13 2000
"kangarex" (Keokuk, IA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
Even if you don't necessarily believe in the precepts of Feng Shui, Ms. Collins does an excellent job of making you look at your environment with new eyes. With her help you can find things about your house and surroundings that may be bothering you subconciously, be making your environment subtly uncomfortable or even dangerous. If you do wish to know about the form school of Feng Shui, I can't think of a better introduction. This book is very readable and entertaining, while being useful to anyone who cares to try to apply it to their surroundings. Not much more you could ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Feng Shui Book I've Read, March 29 2000
Ce commentaire est de: The Western Guide to Feng Shui (Paperback)
This book introduces Feng Shui in a manner that allows you to get right in and play with it. There's no need to rush out and buy things you can't find, although I did spend some money changing color schemes. The people in my office laughed a lot, but took it a little more seriously after I placed a frog at the entry door and business started booming. Now even the non-believers are careful to see that he's placed correctly! This is a great beginners book and more useful than others I've bought since.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable and interesting with some good ideas, Dec 28 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Western Guide to Feng Shui
The Western Guide to Feng Shui by Terah Kathryn Collins (Paperback - March 1 1996)
CDN$ 12.95 CDN$ 11.68