5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it!
I have read not only this book, but all of of the Shadow Lane series. I read them for pleasure, and wasn't disappointed.
I am uneasy about spanking children. I don't have children of my own, but I have three nephews and two nieces I've never laid a hand on and never intend to. My personal jury is out and probably will be for a long time.
However, I've been...
Published on May 16 2001 by LindaT

1.0 out of 5 stars More laughably bad than erotic, even for "spankophiles"
Published on May 21 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it!, May 16 2001
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
However, I've been intrigued by consensual adult erotic spanking all my life, and like many, thought I was a nutcase. Eve Howard's book showed me that there are a lot of rational, normal people who enjoy this and while it's private, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
As for Ms. Howard's "literary style" -- well, I suppose it is stronger than some and weaker than others. To be honest, I don't care. Her style is strong enough to make her books fun to read. I especially recommend them for people who are "into" spanking, feel uneasy about it, and would like to know that (in Ms. Howard's words) "they are not alone."
I hope that Eve Howard will keep up the good work, and continue writing more books like these!

4.0 out of 5 stars "spank me baby one more time", Aug. 1 2000
Joe Sinclair (Hammond, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
Though I am a huge fan of spanking, and this book had several instances where cute little women get their backsides punished, it left a little to be desired. One thing I saw as a drawback was the length of description of the spankings. They usually took up very little text, so when you just start getting into it, it's over, which can be a big let down. Another thing was the fact that nobody got paddled. There is a brief whipping with a belt, and another instance where a girl is supposed to bake a cherry pie, and get's spanked with a wooden spoon for the two hours she is making the pie for her mistakes and questions. That's great, but that's about all the book says about it. "two hours and a well punished bottom later, the pie was ready." Tell me about those two hours, what happened! The highlight of the book is a very erotic spanking that takes place in the middle of the short book. The girl in this, and in almost all instances, isn't really punished hard however, it's more of a sexually arousing thing. Often a prelude to sex, which by the way, isn't really described as well. "...as he undid his trousers and took her from the rear." If you like spanking, and spanking only, then get it, but it isn't the greatest in the spanking genre. I lean more towards "Presented in leather", "the Nothing Things", "Our Scene", and "A Brief Education"

1.0 out of 5 stars More laughably bad than erotic, even for "spankophiles", May 21 2001
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
I have a mild interest in erotic spanking but this book was much more laughable (unintentionally) than erotic. The characters were cardboard cutouts with no more psychological depth than a fingernail, the plot little more than a loosely strung together series of spanking incidents and, as a dedicated "spankophile" commented in an earlier review, those even tended be all to brief. However, the writing was so bad and the plot so ridiculous that I did find myself laughing aloud at times, though doubtfully as the author intended. I threw my copy away when I finished. Don't waste your money unless you crave spanking plots and can't find anything else to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spanking good read, Feb. 1 2003
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
From the first page of this wonderful story I was hooked. I would stay up late to read it afraid to put it down as if the words would vanished and I would have this yearing left to see what happen to Susan or Micheal Flag. To see Damarias grow and learnin the lifestyle and to see the rather conservative Laura do some mighty big changes. In two days I read the whole book.
I have always been fasinated with BDSM but was kind of scared with stories of Anne Rice out there... This book was homefed and real... I felt I heard the answer to my call. Thank you Eve, you are a goddess and the book was the best

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick, sexy taste of the eroticism of spanking, May 23 1999
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
The reader is swept into the small New England town of Random Point, where just about everyone seems to be into the BDSM scene. Among its inhabitants are a freshman college student eager to be initiated into the scene, a fiery redhead would-be dominant, the editor of a local spanking magazine, a very strict contractor and his subservient wife, and a local police man and his rebellious bride. Although it contains many typographical and grammatical errors, this book is a short and sexy read, sure to fuel curiosity and fantasies.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book redefines fiction., Dec 24 1998
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
While Eve Howard is best known for marketing adult magazines and videos, it's obvious from this book that her association with domination and submission is strictly professional, and not based on any real life occurances. It's artificial, superficial, and clearly the author has no real indiciation of what actual dominance or submission is all about. If you wish to buy a book written only for the money it might make, this is it. If you want to read fiction based on the D/s lifestyle, keep looking...Ms. Howard hasn't a clue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read... stayed up late to see what was next, Feb. 2 2003
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
Eve Howard is blessed with so much talent and this has to be one of the best books I have ever read. I am very much a spanking enthuisast. The thing that makes this special is it is not scary like the Ann Rice books who show the absolute in BDSM. This shows more of the sensual side and the wonderful stories. This is the first book in a series of outstanding books. I look forward to each in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spankophile's Delight, Feb. 6 1999
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
If you like erotic spanking, chances are you will like this book. It doesn't really cohere as a novel, since it was originally published as short stories in a magazine. And it doesn't intersect with reality all that often. But as fantasies, Ms. Howard's vignettes definately worked for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst read ever, May 23 2004
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
Uninteresting charade of uninteresting characters. Flimsy storyline. Scenes that might have been intended to be erotic were the absolute opposite of erotic. I do not understand any of the positive reviews I have read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, May 7 2000
This review is from: Shadow Lane (Paperback)
Incredibly awful dialog and very unbelievable plot. So bad that I couldn't let myself go and fall into the story. Surely there must be something better in this genre.

Shadow Lane
Shadow Lane by Eve Howard (Paperback - Aug. 1 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.71