march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Music Deals Store Introducing Kindle Oasis sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 11-20 of 25 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on August 31, 2002
I first encountered Jakob's shinning masterpiece, whilst studying a BSc In Ingorability, and as soon as it came, I took it in my stride and followed through till the last page, the quality of research,presentation and shallowness put this book as one of my top favourites all of times, The Nielsen kid is able to conjure a great book which offers the reader nothing new, everything that is stated within this book is readily available at your feet fetish on the world wide web. I would encourage all mum's & pop looking into buying this book to improve their under the cover usability methods to forgo on buying this book and simply send jakob some high heel boots
on April 20, 2000
I pegged my hopes too high for "Designing Web Usability." I wanted to learn secrets that would take my websites to a new level. Instead, I read about the techniques and thought processes that I (think) I already infused into my web designs.
This isn't bad news. That Neilsen confirmed my thinking was positive for me. I definitely picked up some tips, and did make a few changes to my sites as a result.
Be aware that this book discusses the end result that Neilsen believes will maximize your web usability. He says he's planning a second volume to deal with the nuts and bolts of how to achieve the results.
on September 17, 2000
...I felt like Nielsen spent more time complaining about what DOESN'T work in web site design, and not much time on what DOES. I also felt like I had to do exactly what he cautions against - I felt like I was navigating through pages of criticism and negativity in order to glean a few precious pieces of design wisdom. While I appreciated the examples, I thought the book on the whole failed to pack the necessary punch to merit more than 3 stars. As far as I'm concerned, "Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites" and "Web Design in a Nutshell" are better bets.
on February 4, 2000
A valuable collection of design wisdom, as one would expect.
Too bad this book is nearly impossible to use!
- Although the screen captures provide wonderful examples, there are so many that they start to become obnoxious interruptions, obliterating the "big picture."
- The gutters are so narrow that it's physically tiring (if not painful) to open the book wide enough to read (without breaking the binding).
If you keep up with the author's AlertBox and devhead articles, save your money and your strength.
on February 7, 2000
Some very good points (at least for someone with little or no experience). But I do find Nielsen absoluteness a little annoying. He doesn't just give his experiences and make suggestions, he gives commandments. I just don't think there are too many absolutes when it comes to designing for the web.
Another annoying thing is how he can see the future so clearly. I always get a red flag when someone says "In 5 years the web WILL be [insert prediction here]"
Still a worthy read, but it's not the gospel.
on October 1, 2000
For anyone who already has basic knowledge of HCI principles and interface design, this book is rather simple. Nielsen covers topics which may be useful for someone who has never heard of usability...but for most in the field who strive to make usability a part of their designs, this book will be a quick read as it just "points out the obvious". I would recommend this book only for people who want an introduction to web site design, not those who want a more in-depth look at real usability issues.
on February 20, 2000
Great book on keeping your site clean and efficent. With countless tips on delievering a relevent site backed up by website reviews. The book itself is designed and laid out very well; it has a very nice feel and size to it. The problem I had with the book is after reading the first 100 pages or so I was hoping he would move on to a new topic. Much to my dismay 300 more pages of :this is not relevent ... less is more. Regardless the most through book on this topic.
on June 11, 2000
A VERY good book and highly recommended for Project Managers and even Sales Rep's and upper management, who will understand this book because it's simple and full of colorful screenshots. Not recommended for web designers, as they should have been reading the author's monthly column (and Tufte) for the past few years and this book is simply preaching to the choir. Don't know what i'm talking about? get the book.
on August 30, 2002
If you can get over how arrogant and condescending Nielsen is, you may get some valuable information out of this book. However, Nielsen doesn't practice what he preaches, so follow what he says in the book, not what you see at his website. Nielsen bashes graphic design regarding it as artsy feelings that can be represented elsewhere. Hey Jakob, how useful are those flaps included with the cover of the book??
on August 30, 2002