5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful buy!
I am really happy with this purchase! I thoroughly enjoyed the book and all the extra information about the Sandman series. I would seriously recommend it to anyone who loves this series or just wants to understand or know more about it.
Published 22 months ago by reader_J

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Sandman Fans
Published on June 17 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful buy!, Sept. 20 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Gaiman fans, May 10 2004
Paul S. Brittain (Scottdale, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
This book provides essential insight, not only into Neil Gaiman's storyline and characters, but into his path to literary fame. I bought the book before I purchased all of the Sandman trade paperbacks, and it served as an appetizer to complete my collection. I constantly refer back to it, and discover something new each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
A great read, and lots of insights about the Sandman series. Highly recommended for all Neil Gaiman fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for writers, Jan. 6 2004
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
This book is packed with behind-the-scenes information about the wonderful Sandman series, but also provides terrific insights about the writing process. If you have any interest in comic books, in Neil Gaiman, or in creativity, you're likely to enjoy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tells you little you couldn't get from the comics., June 13 2003
WeHaveSixFeet (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
A good "companion" book to Sandman would tell you about Neil Gaiman's thousands of sources for his stories. Who is Lyta Hall in the DC universe? Who is Element Girl? How about literary and historical sources? Where does the phrase "omnia mutantur, nihil interit" come from, who used it, and what did it mean then? Who was Aleister Crowley? Instead, most of this book is a recap of the story -- Cliff's Notes for a comic -- with a few visits from Neil talking about the inspiration for this or that! Very disappointing. Not worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Interviews; Good Summaries; about the Creative Process, Jan. 12 2003
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
Neil Gaimen's "Sandman" series has long since transcended the comic book genre (it was the 1st monthly comic to win a literary award)and earned a cult following of loyal fans who find added enjoyment with repeated readings. "The Sandman Companion" caters to those fans.
*What it is - There are excellent summaries of each of the ten graphic novels, sidebars pointing out details not to miss, black and white sketches scattered throughout, commentary by the artists who drew the series, and in-depth interviews with Neil Gaimen on each book. Gaimen, in particular, is very insightful about the creative process, including the Alan Moore-like research he put into the backround of many of the stories. All of these were not only fascinating to read, but also gave added depth and perspective on future readings.
*What it is not - "The Sandman Companion" does not clear up backstory, fill in plot ambiguities, nor spell out what is only hinted or implied in the books. It stays fairly true to what you are given on the printed page, and from that standpoint, there is nothing "new" in this book - its all about what already IS. So if you are one who dislikes the amibiguities or open-endedness of some parts of the plot, you won't find much help in this book.
I'd recommend this for fans of the Sandman series who simply want a glimpse of what went on behind the creative process of one of the greatest comics in history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Sandman Fans!, Sept. 20 2002
Daniel V. Reilly (Upstate New York, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Hardcover)
When DC released the first issue of The Sandman, I picked it up because the concept seemed cool. I hadn't read any of Writer Neil Gaiman's previous work except Black Orchid, but I thought I'd give it a try. Little did I know that I was about to step into one of the most well-told stories I've ever read.
Sadly, Neil Gaiman concluded The Sandman after 75 issues. The good side of that is The Sandman is so superbly crafted that repeated readings yield new insights into the characters and their histories. I've read the series three times, so I figured The Sandman Companion would just reaffirm things I already knew.
WRONG!
Turns out I HAD caught a lot of the hidden subtexts, but a lot more had slipped right by me. I still haven't had my #1 Sandman question answered (What WAS the favor Morpheus wanted from Loki in exchange for his freedom in "A Season of Mists"...?), but I learned so much more that I didn't know that I feel like reading the series yet AGAIN! Hy Bender tackles the series by collection, giving a comprehensive overview of each arc, following that up with interviews with Neil Gaiman and the various other contributors. The book is packed with information, and is done in such a breezy style that I never wanted to put it down. Also, the hardcover is just beautifully designed. It's truly a great package, and I can't recommend it highly enough- Not just for Sandman fans, but for anyone who wants to get into the creative processes of a talented Author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things that make you go 'hmmm', Nov. 1 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Hardcover)
This book really sheds new light on every story in the sandman continium - if you have ever read an liked any of the sandman stories I highly suggest you read this book - you will find out something about the story you love that you did not know before!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Sandman Fans, June 17 2001
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
I recently read the entire Sandman series for the first time, as the books rather than the comics, and in order. And I liked it a lot. I thought Gaiman did a very good job of balancing stories with timeless appeal, that echoed familiar myths, fairy tales, and folk tales (even superhero comic books), with modern references to club Goths, pop stars, pop psych concerns, and so on. (Actually the pop-culture references seem a little too geared toward increasing sales among teenagers, but I was usually able to ignore them.)
Then right afterward I read _The Sandman Companion_. I thought it would reveal greater depth in the work. More explanations of the mythologies Gaiman drew from. More explanations of the symbolism he used. More explanations of plots that were not entirely clear. (Like, why was Rose given back her heart late in the series?) Even endings of stories that were not fully told. (What happened with Cluracan and his Nemesis?)
That's not what _The Sandman Companion_ is about. It's for fans. It's not for analytical readers. Much of it consists of dull summaries of plots that readers who have read Sandman are thoroughly familiar with. Most of the rest consists of trivial details like, which acquaintance of the author or an artist served as a visual model for which character in which comic. They do not support the depth and power of the Sandman story. Really they have nothing to do with it. Bender seems to be catering to fans so hungry for any further connection with the work and its author that they feel privileged to "overhear" his "intimate" interview. Which actually, seems to be merely very carefully calculated publicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent companion, Oct. 11 2000
Geoffrey Brent (Wentworth Falls, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sandman Companion (Paperback)
'Companion' books are often no more than a way to milk a few more dollars out of completist fans and trainspotters, but Hy Bender's book is well worth the money. It provides interesting answers to questions I hadn't thought to ask, and gives a lot of insight into the creation of 'Sandman'. Most importantly, reading this book heightened my enjoyment when I reread 'Sandman' afterwards.

The Sandman Companion
The Sandman Companion by Neil Gainman (Hardcover - Dec 8 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 19.37