5.0 out of 5 stars who doesn't love baby owls?
Bill and Percy and Sarah wake in the night to find their Mommy has gone. At first they are sure she will come back, but as time passes they all become a little worried. They think. They worry. They spread out. They huddle together. And after a while, Mommy comes home.
Published on Jan. 23 2002 by audrey

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story
We read to our daughter all day every day and we purchased this book because of the high reviews. But after reading it ourselves, we were incredibly disappointed. If this is what's passing for good children's literature, then we have a problem. The illustrations were great! But there was basically nothing in the story that had to do with owls. Because, she makes owl...
Published 9 months ago by Jenna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars who doesn't love baby owls?, Jan. 23 2002
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
This is a nice book to help little ones deal with separation and worry, or a good read for animal lovers or kids who are afraid of animals. The illustrations of these wide-eyed little creatures are heartwarming. A good snuggle book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fun book to read with one's children, May 30 2003
Robert Huffstedtler (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
I bought this book over two years ago, when my daughter was around 14 months and was just starting to visibly enjoy being read to. Two years later she still pulls it off the shelf sometimes and asks me to read it (usually around bedtime).
The plot is appropriately simple: Mama Owl goes out hunting for the night, and the three owl babies get progressively more worried and scared. When they have almost sunk into despair, mom comes home.
The illustrations are beautiful. Benson does an excellent job of evoking the fear of the wee owlets as they wait, and their exuberant joy upon mama's return. They are a perfect companion to Waddell's writing.
Waddell makes good use of parallelism. After a couple of readings, if you're child is verbal, expect her to be wailing "I want my mommy!" right along with you and baby Bill. Also, despite the brevity and simple vocabulary, one gets a real sense of the different personalities of the owl babies. As children's literature goes, this is a masterpiece.
Concurring with several other reviewers, I would agree that this is a great book to share with your kids if any of them suffer from separation anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whooooooo will like this? Your child!, Aug. 31 2002
Maddi Hausmann Sojourner "madhaus" (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
This is a terrific children's book. While the subject appears to be about baby owls, and it does cover a few interesting facts kids will like, there's more going on here. The book really addresses every child's greatest fear, being separated from a parent. The baby owls wake up and Mommy Owl is GONE!!! They confer with each other on where she could be, and they get more and more worried. But she returns at the end of the book, and assures them she will always come back.
The pictures are wonderful. Unlike most other birds, owls lay their eggs 2-3 days apart so the babies hatch on different days and thus are different sizes. My kids love how there is an oldest, a middle, and a youngest owl. They also like how the oldest tries to reassure the younger ones, and how the youngest always says the same thing.
The pale-yellow type on black is also neat, reminding kids that owls are nocturnal birds. The information says this book is for ages 3-7 but we read this to our kids before they were 2 and they loved it then and still love it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL OWLS THINK A LOT, Dec 17 2000
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
Those big round staring eyes of an owl certainly strike a chord with most of us. Their almost human expressions seem to tell us that they are something special.
The three little owls in "Owl Babies" are certainly intelligent creatures. They soon realise when Owl Mother has gone she must be off hunting for food. Big sister Sarah keeps their morale high when doubts arise about their mother's safety. Little Bill can only say, "I want my mummy".
When they begin to fear the worst (foxes loom large in their imagination) they close their eyes and wish Owl Mother would come home. Their faith is rewarded for soon " softly and silently she swooped through the trees to Sarah, Percy and Bill". Isn't that great alliteration and imagery?
The pictures that accompany the story focus on the expressions of the three owl babies. Since it is night time we don't see much beyond the safety of their tree. The pen-and-ink drawings of our feathered friends are superb. Those droopy little pink beaks and big brown eyes have a strong plaintive appeal.
"Owl Babies" will be a rewarding book for all readers. The strong two-way bond between parents and children could not be better expressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching,tender story of a mother's return to her babies!, Jan. 17 1999
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
This is one of those "special" books that you won't mind reading to your little one over and over again. I find that a great children's book is a lot like a great children's movie; both the parent and the child enjoy it yet at different levels. Such a tender story of a little one's fear that their parent won't come home. However, the beautiful and touching illustrations almost steal the show! You can see the worry in the little owl's eyes and hear little Bill's anxious "I want my Mommy!" My two year old daughter loves the part when it's "dark" outside because the artwork truly conveys the dark; but not in a scary way! I loved when the oldest owl, Sarah, suggests that they all sit on her limb together. My favorite illustration is when the mother owl returns and the 3 little fluffy baby owls are jumping up and down. You'll snuggle a little closer to your child when you read this one together. Just the sweetest little book you and your special one will ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my daughter's bedtime favorites, Nov. 23 2002
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
It's hard to say more about this wonderful book -- just wanted to add that my 23-month old has loved it for the past two months and I know this has to do with her presently intensified separation anxiety. Lovely story, artful evocative illustrations. One of my favorites to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites, Aug. 4 2005
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
I really love this book a lot. It is touching and sweet. I read it to my son on a regular basis from early on. He enjoyed the dark black colour of the pages when he was a tiny baby, I have a lot of fun reading it to him and I know he enjoys listening, this book is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars They always come back, May 15 2001
Jennifer L. Rogers (St. Louis, Mo USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
Like the owl mom, all parents have to leave their little ones sometimes. And like the owl babies, all kids are worried when mom or dad is gone. This book presents both realities in a format that the youngest toddlers can understand. This book is different because it presents the experience of separation the way it really happens -- the owl babies start out brave and rational, but become more and more anxious the longer mom is gone. Just when things are at their scariest, mom returns. Reading this story gave me the opportunity to talk to my child about separation and to remind her of the most important thing about all moms -- they always come back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly perfect, Sept. 15 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Owl Babies (Hardcover)
I first came across this truly beautiful book when it was read on Teletubbies one morning. I cried! - and simply had to buy a copy for my little girl. Abby is now almost two and we read this book every night - often more than once. It is the most interactive book she has - she pulls sad faces and everytime Bill says "I want my mummy", Abby screws up her face and says "Ohhhh poor Bill!" When mummy finally comes home she is so excited that she too flaps up and down! She adores its. I couldn't recommend this book highly enough. Every child needs their own copy of this, Martin Waddell's and Patrick Benson's finest work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry and emotion - the oldest form of storytelling, March 11 1998
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
"Owl Babies" is a work of art, visual and poetic. The repetitive cadences building the story page after page, together with the perfectly-judged atmospheric paintings, combine to create a world we enter unconditionally.
This book has it all, in the classic theatrical sense - unity of time and place, a predictable safe story told with an appropriate degree of suspense, thrilling buildup to catharsis, epilogue full of warm reassurance. It is the one bedtime book everyone should possess; not just for the kindies.
Note: almost the same applies to the marginally-less beautiful "Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Owl Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Board book - Oct. 7 1996)
CDN$ 8.00 CDN$ 7.60