5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story
I've been reading this story to my daughters since they were two years old. They are now five and we still read it. It's a great story with good illustrations. Highly recommended.
Published on Nov. 7 2008 by KA

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story
Published 5 months ago by Jenna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, Nov. 7 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites, Aug. 4 2005
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
I really love this book a lot. It is touching and sweet. I read it to my son on a regular basis from early on. He enjoyed the dark black colour of the pages when he was a tiny baby, I have a lot of fun reading it to him and I know he enjoys listening, this book is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my daughter's bedtime favorites, Nov. 23 2002
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
It's hard to say more about this wonderful book -- just wanted to add that my 23-month old has loved it for the past two months and I know this has to do with her presently intensified separation anxiety. Lovely story, artful evocative illustrations. One of my favorites to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars who doesn't love baby owls?, Jan. 23 2002
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
Bill and Percy and Sarah wake in the night to find their Mommy has gone. At first they are sure she will come back, but as time passes they all become a little worried. They think. They worry. They spread out. They huddle together. And after a while, Mommy comes home.
This is a nice book to help little ones deal with separation and worry, or a good read for animal lovers or kids who are afraid of animals. The illustrations of these wide-eyed little creatures are heartwarming. A good snuggle book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story, Nov. 22 2013
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
We read to our daughter all day every day and we purchased this book because of the high reviews. But after reading it ourselves, we were incredibly disappointed. If this is what's passing for good children's literature, then we have a problem. The illustrations were great! But there was basically nothing in the story that had to do with owls. Because, she makes owl noises, we keep "reading" it, but we make up our own version... I suggest going with anything else

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Story for Kids Big and Small, Aug. 13 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Owl Babies (Hardcover)
I thought my 3 year old loved this book, until recently my 13 month old disappears from anywhere in the house and is almost alway found in his brother's room, paging through our now beat up copy of Owl Babies. (Amazon...get the board book please!!) He LOVES this book! It's always the first and pretty much the only one he wants you to read to him and he always protests loudly when it's put away. (Never mind that you just read it 3 times in a row!) He loves the pictures and flaps his arms, bounces in my lap, and points at cute owl faces as we flip the pages. Many precious memories with this one. Thanks Mr. Waddell and Mr. Benson!!! :) ENJOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is wonderful, the illustrations are exceptional!, June 29 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Owl Babies (Hardcover)
My students and I both love this book. The illustrations are wonderful. This is a must have for all children's literature collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a two year old, Dec 9 2003
D. Adler (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
We started reading to our daughter very young, which she always enjoyed, but this was the first book we read where she clearly followed the narrative. She was in visible suspense when the mother owl was gone and very relieved when she came back. An amazing moment! It was a favorite that we read many times thereafter. She was around 2 years old at the time and I highly recommend this book as a gift for a child that age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calm fears - and a cute little brother, Oct. 6 2003
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
Our three kids love this book. Particularly hearing the fear in the littlest owl's wishing for his Mama's return, and his joy at her arrival.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fun book to read with one's children, May 30 2003
Robert Huffstedtler (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
I bought this book over two years ago, when my daughter was around 14 months and was just starting to visibly enjoy being read to. Two years later she still pulls it off the shelf sometimes and asks me to read it (usually around bedtime).
The plot is appropriately simple: Mama Owl goes out hunting for the night, and the three owl babies get progressively more worried and scared. When they have almost sunk into despair, mom comes home.
The illustrations are beautiful. Benson does an excellent job of evoking the fear of the wee owlets as they wait, and their exuberant joy upon mama's return. They are a perfect companion to Waddell's writing.
Waddell makes good use of parallelism. After a couple of readings, if you're child is verbal, expect her to be wailing "I want my mommy!" right along with you and baby Bill. Also, despite the brevity and simple vocabulary, one gets a real sense of the different personalities of the owl babies. As children's literature goes, this is a masterpiece.
Concurring with several other reviewers, I would agree that this is a great book to share with your kids if any of them suffer from separation anxiety.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xadf2e408)

Owl Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Board book - Oct. 7 1996)
CDN$ 8.00 CDN$ 7.60