Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange

on August 12, 2000
This C.D. and brochure provides essential guidance in mantra practice and the clear pronunciation of many of the most powerful mantras you may ever need.
I've used a mantra-based practice for many years -- and experienced many benefits -- but have recently sought to expand my practice. I purchased both the book and C.D. version of this publication. The book contains deeper explanations and more mantras, but the C.D. provides enunciation models of essential mantras regarding such things as removing obstacles; receiving abundance; finding a mate; increasing good luck; healing the body; accelerating spiritual growth; and, even, giving birth to a spiritually advanced child.
Because correct enunciation is important to see results in this practice, I recommend that practitioners start with this audio version and branch out later to the book and other sources, if so desired.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Healing Mantras is a brilliant CD in all respects! It starts with a beautiful invocation, followed by an explanation of mantra and then into the specific mantras and their application. The book Healing Mantras provides more background but isn't essential for deriving benefit from this CD.

The author explains clearly what the mantra is used for, then leads the listener through the mantra to get the pronunciation right: first by saying it slowly, then by pronouncing it syllable by syllable, then he repeats the mantra for about one minute over the enchanting music.

Of course Sanskrit is a very beautiful language and this, together with the music, ensures an inspiring and uplifting listening experience. One can actually feel energies being activated while you listen. Also, the mantras are easy to memorize and flow naturally from your lips after some practice.

What a wonderful way to improve your life. For more information on the healing power of sound, I recommend Sacred Sounds: Magic & Healing Through Words & Music by Ted Andrews. The two other CDs I have found most helpful in this regard are Holy Harmony and Chakra Chants by Jonathan Goldman.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
No review here. Sorry. Nothing but praise. This book is changing my life so fast that I feel like I'm in a dream! I've used the Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Buddhist chant for years to transform my life internally and externally, but its brought up so much karma I knew I had to find a new and gentler path. Now, mystical happenings abound in a more directed way, and it's only been a few weeks! These mantras give one the power to work on specific problems related to everything from finance and relationships to physical and mental affliction. The results I've had have been tremendous!! Incredibly well-written, and easy to read, no doubt due to the Saraswati chant by the author. The mantras in this book if done as a "Sadhana" advised by Mr. Ashley-Farrand (40 days straight)I'm sure can change one's life dramatically as if one were taking medecine. They'll be making a dent in many people's negative karma soon, ultimately changing the course of the world. As far as I'm concerned, this book will make a priceless gift to loved ones. God bless!!
on September 26, 2004
I came across Thomas Ashley-Farrand's book on healing mantras when I was going through a difficult period in my life. After reading his book, I immediately took on the 40 day decipline to solve my problem. To tell the truth I didn't know what to expct in the beginning, but when I miraculously received the answers to my prayers on the 40th day of my decipline, I must say I was caught by surprise by the power of mantra chanting.
Chanting mantras has definetly changed my life forever, for the better. Now, I have this powerful tool in my hand that I can use any time to solve any problems that I encounter or improve any aspects of my life.
His books are well-written, clear and easy to understand. I highly recommed this book to anyone who desires to improve any aspects of their life. I am sure that anyone can improve their life for the better with these POWERFULL MANTRAS!!
on April 15, 2000
I looked for months for a new job with no success. On December 23rd I began reading this book and chanting the mantra to remove obstacles. On January 23rd I received a call from someone I barely knew but had worked with seven years ago. He had heard I was looking for a new job and asked me to meet him that day to discuss one he had available. It was even better than what I had been looking for -- interesting work in a field I enjoy, better salary, better benefits, opportunity for advancement, and a great location. I received an offer on January 31st, exactly 40 days after I began the mantra. The advice in this book works!
on August 10, 2002
I bought Healing Mantras because I was curious after reading Tina Turner's life story. In her book, she says chanting changed her life. And since I think Tina Turner is awsome - why not?
The first thing I liked about the book is that it's clear and to the point. It's well organized. All the mantras are grouped into categories such as: overcoming obstacles, healing, prosperity, etc. It's small, but packed with information. I've seen other mantra books printed on exquisite paper, written in golden script and adorned with cutsie drawings of little huts and birds and Blah-Blah-Blah...all for about 30 bucks. Which brings up another point: the price is nice.
Mr. Farrand includes a brief history of mantras which I found interesting and colorful. His approach to mantra practice is flexible, and he describes both traditional and informal methods. After reading the book, I also bought the CD which really helped me learn the correct pronounciation and rhythm for each mantra.
I've now used almost all of this author's books and tapes. I highly recommend Mr. Farrand's work (and his website for additional info), especially for a beginner or someone who can't find a mantra class.
on May 20, 2000
This book is full of traditional Indian (Sanskrit) mantras. Mantras are sound patterns which harmonises the energy flow in our body/mind and attracts the attention of gods. The author introduces the reader to the power of mantras and how it works. The mantras are categorised and explained according to their usefulness. The book is clearly written in an easy to understand manner.
However, it is very important for the reader to know that the mantras have to be pronounced and sounded out correctly to be effective. A mantra book is limited in this aspect.
Also, most of the Sanskrit mantras referres to the assistance of Hindu gods. Belief of these gods and appropriate pooja's (offerings) will greatly enhance the power of the mantra.
Properly chanted with devotion, these mantras work. Try them out.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 17, 2011
I am a fan of Thomas Ashley Farrand's books and he has probably done more than anyone else to spread the information about mantras in this part of the world. This books contains many popular mantras that can help you to overcome obstacles and improve many areas of your life. That being said, as is probably the case with most books, every now and then printing errors occur, and so is the case with this book. When you notice a typo in English, that may not matter much because you can guess the correct meaning of the word - when it comes to mantras, unless you know Sanskrit and how the mantra should sound, you have no way of detecting the error.
In this book, when it comes to mantras for relationships, both in mantra where a woman is chanting for a spiritual partner and in mantra where a man is chanting for a spiritual partner - the mantra calls for a "husband". In Sanskrit "pati" is "husband", and "patni" is "wife".
So the mantra for a woman seeking relationship with a man in this book is
Sat Patim Dehi Parameshwara
and the mantra for a man seeking a relationship - the book says with a woman, but the mantra is really chanting for a relationship with a feminine husband (ok it could work great for gay people)
Narayani Patim Dehi Shrim Klim Parameshwari
To some people it doesn't really matter what they are saying, in which case one would wonder why chant mantras in Sanskrit at all if it doesn't matter what you are saying.
On the other hand perhaps this book inspires you to continue your explorations with mantra and eventually learn Sanskrit and mantras from original sources
I do very much enjoy Thomas Ashley Farrand's writing style and find his books easy to read and informative. but when it comes to mantras, since Sanskrit is energy-based language, it would make more sense that the book teaches the correct pronunciation of sounds and that the mantras are also written in Sanskrit, given the fact that there are sounds in Sanskrit which do not exist in English.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
What a revelation! This book has given me incredible insight and is a joy to read and to study - like magic jumping out of the pages. As a guide for improving one's life, it is unparalleled. A thorough discussion of the background, lore, history and application of sound in healing, together with Vedic cosmology and the views of scientists, as well as pieces on Karma, Astrology and the Chakras. All the important areas of life are covered and the various relevant mantras provided, with phonetic guide to pronunciation and English translation. Throughout, examples are given of healings achieved and problems solved through the use of specific mantras. The author has an engaging style and it's hard to put the book down. I strongly recommend you get the CD at the same time (available here on amazon) as it helps immensely in "getting into" the mantra habit and with pronunciation. It is also very beautiful to listen to. The book has a glossary of Sanskrit and other terms, an extensive bibliography and an index.
on September 19, 1999
Imagine a language made of simple sounds. And these sounds embody what they describe. This is the ancient language of sound called "Sanskrit." When these sounds are assembled into formulas called Mantra or "divine speech" they will, in the words of a Sufi master, actually "knead the flesh of the body with sound." These ancient formulas of divine sounds have been "held in trust and in secret for ages," according to the author, in India and Tibet. With "Healing Mantras," Thomas Ashley-Farrand has created a breakthrough for the West with a work that illustrates, with great clarity, both the symbolic significance and the practical benefits of chanting mantra. Students of the esoteric arts as well as those new to the subject will find this book entertaining, illuminating and, above all, accessible. In fifteen well-organized chapters Ashley-Farrand demonstrates how mantras comprise "our spiritual physiology," how they work and gives specific instructions as to their use in creating abundance and self-empowerment, or mastering health and love. Though there is great scholarship in the book, this is no dry tome, but a manual for the use of ancient and powerful tools. Throughout the book are personal stories which succinctly illustrate how the practice of mantra has benefited the author as well as those he has instructed in its use. Readers will be lured by the practical simplicity of this book to utter the divine speech themselves. And the consistent use of this sound energy may well prove to be transformative, giving those with the intent, the power to change their lives.