5.0 out of 5 stars Really Wonderful Package, Feb. 26 2004
Swing King (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit (Spiral-bound)
This package of supplies is rich with aid for those struggling in practice. Do you have a long ride in for work in the morning? Toss in one of these CD's provided here for us; you'll find direct relief from whatever emotional hindrances you may be experiencing at the moment. Not by turning away, but by embracing the feeling into our entire scope of vision. The meditation cards Oshuniyi mentioned, are a wonderful way to further your practice. They laminated them onto their refrigerator. I took a card or two to work with me daily for a few months. When I had a rough day or stressful moments, I would simply glance over the cards and be instantly reminded of how wonderful everything potentially is.
The workbook supplied for you here is beyond price, synonymous with the CD's really. Joseph Goldstein and Sharon Salzberg have both been longtime standing Vipassana meditation teachers, both with all-embracing training in various traditions of the Buddhist path. While you use these CD's to really get in touch with the truth of your life, the workbook is a nice way to affirm what you are finding in your meditation. To nudge you in the right direction a bit. The cards can also be used to place on your home altar, to remind you of certain truths when the thinking mind wavers. What an all around great box filled with insight here.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all can feel Oneness with the Divine Within., Nov. 13 2002
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit (Spiral-bound)
I received this as a birthday gift this year, and let e say it was a great gift indeed. Within this excellent package you will receive an excellent Step Buy Step 124 page Guide, that has to be one of the best-published books on Meditation. The book is excellent for both beginners and advanced. Also in this package one gets two spoken Meditation and breathing exercises cds, as well as a pack of 12 cards, which I laminated and placed them on my refrigerator.
Just to get a quick pick at how excellent this package is, the cards are. The Four Noble Truths. The Six Wholesome and Unwholesome Roots of the Mind. The Noble Eightfold Path. The Five Handrances. The Three Kinds of Sufferings. The Four Brahma Viharas. The Eight Vicissitudes. The Six Sense Doors and Three Feeling Tones. The Four Metta Phrases. The Six Stages of Metta. The Seven Points of Posture, and The Five Precepts. The Set could have done well without the cards, but they are excellent to keep in handy, in a place where you can read them frequently.
The two cds are spoken and very relaxing. You here Sharon Salzburg's calming voice as she guides you through breathing exercises, and meditations.
I have a few books on Meditation, and to be honest, The book in this package, Insight Meditation, has to be my utmost favorite. I love this set, and I recommend it to all that want to relieve stress from their lives, or want to connect with the divine within. Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, Oct. 16 2002
Terrance H. Heath "terrancedc" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit (Spiral-bound)
If you've always wanted/intended to start your own meditation practice, I would recommend this set. The workbook and CD combine as a tool that will be helpful to beginners and intermediate "meditators" alike. The cards, I found interesting perhaps as a reminder of the lesson subjects in the workbook, but the set would be no less effective without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Essential!, March 10 2009
Amy VG (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit (Spiral-bound)
Out of everything I have read on "beginner"/"novice" Buddhism thus far, this kit has been the most beneficial for me.

The kit comes with an amazing 200+ page workbook that goes through a lot of the Buddha's main teachings. The information is clear and simple; each lesson is packed with amazing wisdom. At the end of each lesson, there are optional questions and additional writing space to explore the teachings a bit more. The authors suggest working with one lesson per week, but because of all the additional activities to explore each lesson I found I was working through each lesson in about two weeks. There are six guided meditations included with the kit, and truthfully, I wish the authors included guided meditations for each of the nine lessons, but for three you will need to explore on your own. But of the six, all are fantastic to meditate to. The voices are clear, and extremely helpful with maintaining focus and for working through that particular lesson. I really learned a lot just from the guided meditations alone, regardless of having read the lessons in the workbook as well. The kit also comes with lovely study cards. I didn't use them that much, but I gather the cards would be very helpful to carry around for the week, or to sit on the meditation table/altar to glance at while meditating.

If you what to learn how to "insightfully" meditate, and learn it correctly in the comforts of your own home, I highly recommend this kit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic meditation kit, Feb. 11 2009
This review is from: Insight Meditation Kit (Spiral-bound)
This is an absolutely fantastic meditation kit. The spiral bound book looks like it would be boring - but I couldn't put it down. The stories the quotes...everything is so clear. The cds are a great way to get started. I liked this kit so much I purchased the $200 year long meditation kit by the same authors. Unfortunately all of the cds on the 1 year kit were basically scripted in the spiral bound book of this kit. Which makes it an even better buy. I'm a therapist and I always have a copy in my office and a copy to loan to clients.

Insight Meditation Kit
Insight Meditation Kit by Sharon Salzberg (Spiral-bound - March 2006)
CDN$ 34.19 CDN$ 23.51