5.0 out of 5 stars exquisitely divine!
What a treasure house of creative ideas for those of us who can't draw a straight line but who love playing with creative expression! Clear directions, gorgeous pictures, numerous ideas and magnificent details all make this one of the few books I will recommend to anyone who enjoys creative work or who works with any age group.
The techniques call for supplies found...
Published on Jan. 29 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got it from the library....
Published on Jan. 11 2002 by Rikkim

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisitely divine!, Jan. 29 2001
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
The techniques call for supplies found at any local discount store which makes it ideal for those who aren't "artists" or who don't have "art stores" nearby. I took this book to bed for a week and felt my soul being fed before I even tried the techniques! Then on a weekend artprayer retreat, my women's group played with several of the techniques for hours and all ended up having incredible pieces of "prayer" at the end of our time.
If you don't buy any other creative book this year--buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down, Feb. 11 2001
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
Wonderful. This book is packed with colored pictures of examples which I can stop examining. The author's background as a teacher shows. The book is beautifully organized and instructions are clearly and carefully written. The intended audience is probably the crafter who wants to move to the next creative level and she's hit the mark. She makes the reader believe that is possible to be creative with ordinary materials. Throughout the book she names brands of materials which will work with each project and the book is liberally sprinkled with recommendations on a wide variety of paints, inks, etc -- and the materials she uses are widely available. She has resisted the urge to push her own rubber stamp product line though many of the samples use them. This is a book I'll go to again and again and I won't loan to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous debut from a well-known art instructor, Feb. 14 2001
Sharilyn M Miller (Aliso Viejo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
Creating with Paint is a fabulous debut from an artist and popular workshop instructor who never seems to run out of ideas. Sherrill Kahn-a frequent contributor to Somerset Studio-has brought her amazing talents to fruition in this brand-new book. Introductory chapters on basic painting techniques are followed by chapters on sponge painting, washes, plastic-wrap patterns, rubber stamping, applicator-tipped paint techniques, paint resists, crayon batik, monoprints, bubble-wrap prints, a generous gallery of artwork, and much more. This book is packed with rubber stamping techniques as well as painting projects, and is suitable for artists at every level of experience, from beginner to advanced. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got it from the library...., Jan. 11 2002
Rikkim (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
While this book does have some good ideas and techniques, I was put off by the repeated and blatant promotions of the author's line of stamps -- a little too self-serving. Also, since she used only her own stamps in the project examples -- as well as a very limited color palette -- there is a disappointing sameness to the look of the samples. Most books of this type show the work of multiple artists: More variety of styles and colors would have made Kahn's book much more interesting and inspiring.
So, while I did come away with some ideas that I will use, I'm very glad that I borrowed the book from the library, rather than paying for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this innovative book, Feb. 8 2002
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
When was the last time a "real" artist painted like this? Who else would have thought to use gel pens, dimensional fabric paints, regular fabric paints and dyes, and, best of all, rubber stamps in one painting that can be used in about a million ways? Kahn paints on muslin, but you really can't tell it's fabric. By the time I finished a couple of pieces, I couldn't tell I had painted on fabric either. I think this is a real plus because then you can stick your painting on anything, however rough it may be, and have a beautiful, interesting, and highly unusual piece of art. Don't deprive yourself of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to LOOK at, April 8 2001
David Epstein (Albuquerque, New Mexico USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
I have always LOVED Sherrill Kahns work, so I couldn't wait for this book to come out. I was slightly disappointed with the book. ALthough it is beautiful to look at and the projects are wonderful it is not for the average stamper. I have been stamping and teaching for many years and found some of the projects and directions confusing.This is more of a paint book than a stamping book. Never the less the projects are beautiful and the book is wonderful to look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, Feb. 6 2001
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
What a yummy book! With clear, detailed instructions and beautiful samples, this book tops my favorites list. Kahn's technique with color and design is sheer inspiration. She covers a wide variety of art product and surface material with wonderful, colorful examples. This book is a definite must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an incredible resource, July 19 2001
K. E. Grames - See all my reviews
This review is from: CREATING WITH PAINT (Paperback)
I was prepared to *like* this book. I absolutely love it. It is gorgeous, it has clear, easy-to-understand instructions for a multitude of projects, it is simply an inspiration. I am recommending it to every artist and crafter I know.

CREATING WITH PAINT
CREATING WITH PAINT by KAHN SHERRILL (Paperback - Feb. 15 2001)
CDN$ 43.99 CDN$ 35.19