5.0 out of 5 stars "How To" for a great marriage

Published on Dec 2 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "How To" for a great marriage, May 25 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I agree with the reader from Nashville on almost all points, except to say that there aren't many *godly* women. I know many *godly* women, but not *submissive* women (in the Biblical sense of submissive). Likewise, it's fair for me to say that the reason these women aren't submissive is because of the lack of leadership of their husbands--they refuse to lead, so their wives must, and then their husbands get resentful (yes, I believe the feminist movement has done much to errode traditional male/female marital roles, and I blame lack of leadership in husbands, and lack of submission in wives--as well as the lack of any spiritual life--as the reason for the high divorce rate in many cases). It's a vicious circle that God never intended. Bunny Wilson addresses not just the woman's role in Biblical submission, but also the man's roles in a marriage, and the kind of submission a single person should be executing--IT CERTAINLY ISN'T A BOOK JUST FOR MARRIED WOMEN--it's great for Christians in all walks of life! If you are a Christian struggling daily to actively practice your faith, this is a great book. If you are not a Christian or you are a minimal Christian, your interpretation of this book will probably be one of a "how to" to become a doormat. This is certainly not the case--it takes some Biblical understanding about submission to understand it doesn't mean that you allow yourself to be walked all over, and I think Mrs. Wilson has illustrated this quite well. When we women hear the word "submission", we usually take it to mean "bossed around", and that's not what the author is talking about. What the author is saying that as a Christian wife, your husband should be leading just as Christ leads, and if this is happening, it becomes easy (and even joyful!) to submit, and the wife will never feel like a "doormat" or like she's being bossed around, or that she's losing her identity. God intended us to have these roles from the beginning as described in the book of Genesis, so it only makes sense that by submitting to God (because He knows what's best for us, being our Creator and all) and obeying His plan for us, this makes for a most harmonious marriage. But as a previous reader mentioned, BOTH spouses must be willing to participate, otherwise it won't work. I would like to recommend St. John Chrysostom's "On Marriage and Family Life", ISBN 0-913836-86-9 in addition to Mrs. Wilson's book as it is an awesome read, and discusses more of the same subject matter, and includes some very practical advice on what to look for in a person if you are marriage-minded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the negative responses!, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I have read this book a few times through, and continue to pick it up from time to time. I have been with Jesus for a little over 4 years and in my early 20's, but have found this book extreamly useful.
I don't believe at all that she is teaching men or women to merely be door mats, and if you think that, read it again becasue she even addresses that. It's about seeing things through the eyes of Jesus who lead a PERFECTLY SUBMISSIVE LIFE----even unto death!!!!!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Think about it, if He had not totally submitted, you would not have salvation!!!
I think that she has a really good understanding on this subject, and that she explains it in a very basic way. I'm not surprised at all at the mass rejection of this book in some of the reviews that I've read. It's controversal, not because it's off, but because it's opposite what the world tells you---it's biblical, and like Jesus said, if they hate Me, they will hate you.
Give the book a try, if you don't like it, it's your life, but if you want a life full of power and reliance upon God, look it over. We are not here to do our own will, we can do that as unbelievers. We are here to do the will of the Father and to lay our lives down for one another.
God bless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarifies the meaning of "submission" in the Biblical sense, Jan. 18 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
When I heard Mrs. Wilson speaking on a radio program, I was intrigued by the idea that submission could be liberating. This book clarified what being a submissive wife truly is. It's not being a doormat to your husband but ultimately, being completely submitted to Christ. She identifies the difficulties in achieving this and clearly delineate's the husband's role and God's expectations of him. While the concept of female submission has certainly been manipulated by the patriarchy, the reality of God's plan is anything but demeaning and oppressive. This book has done more than help me understand how to deal with my husband, but has also shed light on the most important relationship in my life - the one I have with Jesus Christ.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why submit?, May 22 2004
C. M. Dunlea (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Now, I havn't actually read this book, but I think I can judge it just by the topic. How is submission freedom? It may not be slavery, you might be able to do things in your life, but you will always need to have his approval. What if your opinions on things vary? What if you want to go to a girl's night out, but he refuses to let you because he wants to have"family time" watching tv. That is not fair, and if you submit to that just because he is your husband. It wouldn't be the end of your marriage if you did things that you wanted to do, even if he had something else in mind.
To the woman who said, "Even more valuable is the man, who after a lifetime of societal miseducation, can finally come to understand why his natural instincts and urges to lead, protect, and provide have been so handcuffed!" Who says they were miseducated? Men are macho and they think that they are the cat's meow. Why should we support that making them more arrogant and controling. There are many women who like to lead, and they definently would want to protect their husband, but we can take care of ourselves. We have a voice and we have a right to make it be heard. Marriage is not a wife morphing into the husband's double, it is the two marrying to create one. Half and half of each person. Frankly I can't even believe that a book like this would exist. And as for Jesus submitting to death, he was not submitting to his husband. He knew that this he was an instrument in carrying out the big plan of God. I don't think that applies for this whole wife and husband thing. Who says that the husband must be the dominent one? Is is written in the Bible that men are closer to God than women are and that women are ok, as long as they do whatever their mini-God says without comment? Maybe I missed that part.
You are turning into Stepford Wives!! Why should we treat our husbands as God? We already have one god and are not suppost have have any more. And why should the wife summit? Are we more inferior than the male? If some wives are submissive to their husbands, then there should be some husbands that a totally submissive to their wives. No? Why not? Well, then maybe we can just have an EQUAL partnership, nobody unwillingly submitting, just talking it out and and making compromises. Getting the best of both worlds. The man should love you for who you are, not who he wants you to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesson for A Newlywed, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I am at the point in my life where I am trying to lead the life that the Lord had outlined in his word for me to lead, whether that is as a woman, wife, or any other title that I may hold. I personally know that I will not be successful in any of these roles if I do not take heed to the word of God. As a young newlywed and very independent young woman I noticed that there were a lot of things that I still as a growing Christian did not know about my role as a wife and that of course only placed conflict in my very new marriage. When I first heard the word submission I thought to myself " I am not any man's slave, so we can cancel that idea", but reading this book not only opened my heart but it opened my mind as to what submission is really all about. Submission is not just something that needs to be practiced in marriage but in almost every relationship and encounter that we have on a daily basis. Mrs. Wilson's book has truly given me guidance that I know will be beneficial to my marriage whether it be today or somewhere else down the road. I got so much out of this book that I even purchased it for a friend that is about to take that walk down the aisle and into a new world.

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it and I'm not a submitted wife, Dec 2 2000
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Marriage should be a partnership. I am a Christian woman and I find the idea of a wife submitting to a husband relevant only at that time in history (around 60 C.E.). In the 1st century wives were property. Submission was a relevant issue when Jesus first lifted these women out of their oppression. But wives being subject to a husband--just like slavery, racism, arranged marriages,inbreeding, head covering and polygamy-- were common and accepted at the time, but offensive and outdated in our society. We are *all* one in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:28) However, for women who interpret everything in the Bible literally and/or choose to submit to their husbands, this book gives excellent instruction on submitting without handing over your entire identity to a man. Mrs. Wilson makes it clear that submission doesn't mean the husband is biblically granted the right to be an abusive tyrant and the wife a mindless baby-making machine. It is obvious that she has written this book with love and sincerity. And humor, too! This book was purchased for a friend; I popped some corn and sat down to read with the intention of ridiculing Mrs. Wilson and her conservative, old fashioned ideas. My friend was raised in a Christian home and was taught that she has absolutely no say as to what goes on in her marriage, in her life and with her children. She married a verbally and mentally abusive man who calls himself a Promise Keeper. This book was a godsend for her. God bless you Bunny Wilson! (PS--Betrayal's Baby was the BOMB!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the "S" word make you want to rebel?, March 14 2000
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I became a Christian in my 20's and was suddenly faced with a group of people I admired who talked about a woman's role. Coming from a wonderful strong line of independent women, the word submission conjured up images of women as doormats for their overbearing mates. This book helped me to understand a biblical perspective on submission and helped me understand how much strength it takes to submit and how strong a relationship can be because of submission. What it all comes down to is, "do I trust my husband to seek God, and do I trust God to correct him faster and with less friction than I ever could?" I first read this book as a single woman (besides discussing submission itself, it has seperate chapters for single women, married women, men), and ended up giving copies to all my friends! Now that I'm getting married, re-reading this book is really helpful! My mentor has been married for almost 30 years and found new insights and encouragement in this book as well! It is a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE U CHANGED GOD'S WORD SO U WOULDN'T HAVE 2 FOLLOW IT?, Dec 18 1999
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
As a 32 year old married man with two kids, I can say that this book holds the key to a successful marriage AND a more peaceful life...IF both parties are open to it. Sadly, Gloria Steinem and like-minded people have warped literally generations of women on the subject of submission. Taken out of context and perverted by them, submission has become synonymous with slavery. I got married late in life, because there is a very real shortage of virtuous women left with whom to mingle. Take a look at any sitcom. Most of them have men willing to do anything to keep the lady from getting upset-even if he's right and his anger valid. Seinfeld had an episode wherein Elaine wanted to dump a guy BECAUSE he believed in Jesus! Know what's out here, folks. Movies, songs, books, you name it. Being a forceful man these days means asking the permission of a woman first. God bless Bunny Wilson. This very same message coming from a man would have been immediately dismissed as sexist and oppressive. Thank God Mrs. Wilson had the courage to finish the book. Valuable is the woman who sees the point she's making and changes her ways accordingly. Even more valuable is the man, who after a lifetime of societal miseducation, can finally come to understand why his natural instincts and urges to lead, protect, and provide have been so handcuffed! We all have roles to play. Play 'em right. AAAHHHHH! FREEDOM IN UNDERSTANDING!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to respect submission by being submitted. Read D book!, July 19 1999
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I give this book a five star rating because it is simply delightful and invigorating for the married couple as well as those thinking about tieing the knot.
If you're already married it teaches you that submitting to your spouse is not the end of the world. Infact, it's really only the begining. The examples and illastrations used are so connecting. The referenced scripture makes the reader aware of the fact that God wants both men and women to be submitted to each other. I used to think that submission applied only to the woman but since reading this book I now realize that submission is a two way street. How could you expect your wife to submit to you if you're not submitted to her?
What I've really learned is that submission is so very easy because you only have to submit to GOD. Once you have submitted to God, submitting to your spouse is a piece of cake.
To P.B. Wilson, the author, I don't know if you realize it or not but you are going to be the cause of a lot of marriages being saved. Thanks for this great book and thanks for opening my eyes and my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for the Modern Woman, Aug. 13 2002
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Submission is a topic that proves very difficult to find good information on. Many individuals rationalize submission into being something less than it really is, while others view it as equal with slavery. Both are wrong.
Bunny Wilson shares her stories as an aggressive woman, which proves very encouraging to a woman who struggles with the idea of submission. At the same time she brings out a fresh view of what submission is. Through her book she takes the reader back to the basics: that submission is something everyone to called to; whether we are called to submit to the government, our bosses, or Christ. She provides examples of what submission is and isn't.
Media today has confused and distorted the idea of submission. Any woman who has found herself struggling with these wrong ideas and with the idea of submitting, would find this book a breath of fresh air. It is a great guide for any woman who wants to put herself in line with God's will.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Liberated Through Submission
Liberated Through Submission by P.B. Wilson (Paperback - Dec 15 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01