5.0 out of 5 stars Liberated indeed!
Published 16 months ago by Trina Ottenbreit

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it and I'm not a submitted wife
Marriage should be a partnership. I am a Christian woman and I find the idea of a wife submitting to a husband relevant only at that time in history (around 60 C.E.). In the 1st century wives were property. Submission was a relevant issue when Jesus first lifted these women out of their oppression. But wives being subject to a husband--just like slavery, racism, arranged...
Published on Dec 2 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberated indeed!, Dec 13 2012
Trina Ottenbreit (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
This book was so refreshing. I have been a believer for 34 years and a wife for 19. The book changed me. I have always been a submissive wife, but the book helped me to realy let go of divisive issues with peace, knowing that I can give them to Jesus and REALLY trust Him to work things out. The title is correct; we really are liberated through submission. I also delighted in the authors humility and humor throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars "How To" for a great marriage, May 25 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I agree with the reader from Nashville on almost all points, except to say that there aren't many *godly* women. I know many *godly* women, but not *submissive* women (in the Biblical sense of submissive). Likewise, it's fair for me to say that the reason these women aren't submissive is because of the lack of leadership of their husbands--they refuse to lead, so their wives must, and then their husbands get resentful (yes, I believe the feminist movement has done much to errode traditional male/female marital roles, and I blame lack of leadership in husbands, and lack of submission in wives--as well as the lack of any spiritual life--as the reason for the high divorce rate in many cases). It's a vicious circle that God never intended. Bunny Wilson addresses not just the woman's role in Biblical submission, but also the man's roles in a marriage, and the kind of submission a single person should be executing--IT CERTAINLY ISN'T A BOOK JUST FOR MARRIED WOMEN--it's great for Christians in all walks of life! If you are a Christian struggling daily to actively practice your faith, this is a great book. If you are not a Christian or you are a minimal Christian, your interpretation of this book will probably be one of a "how to" to become a doormat. This is certainly not the case--it takes some Biblical understanding about submission to understand it doesn't mean that you allow yourself to be walked all over, and I think Mrs. Wilson has illustrated this quite well. When we women hear the word "submission", we usually take it to mean "bossed around", and that's not what the author is talking about. What the author is saying that as a Christian wife, your husband should be leading just as Christ leads, and if this is happening, it becomes easy (and even joyful!) to submit, and the wife will never feel like a "doormat" or like she's being bossed around, or that she's losing her identity. God intended us to have these roles from the beginning as described in the book of Genesis, so it only makes sense that by submitting to God (because He knows what's best for us, being our Creator and all) and obeying His plan for us, this makes for a most harmonious marriage. But as a previous reader mentioned, BOTH spouses must be willing to participate, otherwise it won't work. I would like to recommend St. John Chrysostom's "On Marriage and Family Life", ISBN 0-913836-86-9 in addition to Mrs. Wilson's book as it is an awesome read, and discusses more of the same subject matter, and includes some very practical advice on what to look for in a person if you are marriage-minded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the negative responses!, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I have read this book a few times through, and continue to pick it up from time to time. I have been with Jesus for a little over 4 years and in my early 20's, but have found this book extreamly useful.
I don't believe at all that she is teaching men or women to merely be door mats, and if you think that, read it again becasue she even addresses that. It's about seeing things through the eyes of Jesus who lead a PERFECTLY SUBMISSIVE LIFE----even unto death!!!!!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Think about it, if He had not totally submitted, you would not have salvation!!!
I think that she has a really good understanding on this subject, and that she explains it in a very basic way. I'm not surprised at all at the mass rejection of this book in some of the reviews that I've read. It's controversal, not because it's off, but because it's opposite what the world tells you---it's biblical, and like Jesus said, if they hate Me, they will hate you.
Give the book a try, if you don't like it, it's your life, but if you want a life full of power and reliance upon God, look it over. We are not here to do our own will, we can do that as unbelievers. We are here to do the will of the Father and to lay our lives down for one another.
God bless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarifies the meaning of "submission" in the Biblical sense, Jan. 18 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
When I heard Mrs. Wilson speaking on a radio program, I was intrigued by the idea that submission could be liberating. This book clarified what being a submissive wife truly is. It's not being a doormat to your husband but ultimately, being completely submitted to Christ. She identifies the difficulties in achieving this and clearly delineate's the husband's role and God's expectations of him. While the concept of female submission has certainly been manipulated by the patriarchy, the reality of God's plan is anything but demeaning and oppressive. This book has done more than help me understand how to deal with my husband, but has also shed light on the most important relationship in my life - the one I have with Jesus Christ.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superior vs Inferior?, May 26 2004
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Women and men who believe in this so called "Jesus prescribed submission" are missing the point. Jesus' intent as well as God's is to help us see that men and women can live together without domination from either sex. Think of how a dog is submissive to another dog. It will lie on its back and wait for the other dog to rip its belly open while it is piteously whimpering in hopes that its life will be spared. You would be fooling yourself if you believed that true happiness lies in treating another as your superior or inferior. I sometimes wonder if we should be as vigilant of some Christians as the Germans should have been of the Nazis and their ideas of superiority.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why submit?, May 22 2004
C. M. Dunlea (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Now, I havn't actually read this book, but I think I can judge it just by the topic. How is submission freedom? It may not be slavery, you might be able to do things in your life, but you will always need to have his approval. What if your opinions on things vary? What if you want to go to a girl's night out, but he refuses to let you because he wants to have"family time" watching tv. That is not fair, and if you submit to that just because he is your husband. It wouldn't be the end of your marriage if you did things that you wanted to do, even if he had something else in mind.
To the woman who said, "Even more valuable is the man, who after a lifetime of societal miseducation, can finally come to understand why his natural instincts and urges to lead, protect, and provide have been so handcuffed!" Who says they were miseducated? Men are macho and they think that they are the cat's meow. Why should we support that making them more arrogant and controling. There are many women who like to lead, and they definently would want to protect their husband, but we can take care of ourselves. We have a voice and we have a right to make it be heard. Marriage is not a wife morphing into the husband's double, it is the two marrying to create one. Half and half of each person. Frankly I can't even believe that a book like this would exist. And as for Jesus submitting to death, he was not submitting to his husband. He knew that this he was an instrument in carrying out the big plan of God. I don't think that applies for this whole wife and husband thing. Who says that the husband must be the dominent one? Is is written in the Bible that men are closer to God than women are and that women are ok, as long as they do whatever their mini-God says without comment? Maybe I missed that part.
You are turning into Stepford Wives!! Why should we treat our husbands as God? We already have one god and are not suppost have have any more. And why should the wife summit? Are we more inferior than the male? If some wives are submissive to their husbands, then there should be some husbands that a totally submissive to their wives. No? Why not? Well, then maybe we can just have an EQUAL partnership, nobody unwillingly submitting, just talking it out and and making compromises. Getting the best of both worlds. The man should love you for who you are, not who he wants you to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for the Modern Woman, Aug. 13 2002
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
Submission is a topic that proves very difficult to find good information on. Many individuals rationalize submission into being something less than it really is, while others view it as equal with slavery. Both are wrong.
Bunny Wilson shares her stories as an aggressive woman, which proves very encouraging to a woman who struggles with the idea of submission. At the same time she brings out a fresh view of what submission is. Through her book she takes the reader back to the basics: that submission is something everyone to called to; whether we are called to submit to the government, our bosses, or Christ. She provides examples of what submission is and isn't.
Media today has confused and distorted the idea of submission. Any woman who has found herself struggling with these wrong ideas and with the idea of submitting, would find this book a breath of fresh air. It is a great guide for any woman who wants to put herself in line with God's will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesson for A Newlywed, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I am at the point in my life where I am trying to lead the life that the Lord had outlined in his word for me to lead, whether that is as a woman, wife, or any other title that I may hold. I personally know that I will not be successful in any of these roles if I do not take heed to the word of God. As a young newlywed and very independent young woman I noticed that there were a lot of things that I still as a growing Christian did not know about my role as a wife and that of course only placed conflict in my very new marriage. When I first heard the word submission I thought to myself " I am not any man's slave, so we can cancel that idea", but reading this book not only opened my heart but it opened my mind as to what submission is really all about. Submission is not just something that needs to be practiced in marriage but in almost every relationship and encounter that we have on a daily basis. Mrs. Wilson's book has truly given me guidance that I know will be beneficial to my marriage whether it be today or somewhere else down the road. I got so much out of this book that I even purchased it for a friend that is about to take that walk down the aisle and into a new world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definately not liberating, Feb. 6 2002
whisper of reality (Verona, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
I began reading this book with a very open mind really hoping God's will would be clarified for me on this subject. However, I couldn't even finish more than half of the book as I found it's arguments so unreasonable and disparaging. If you want to know how God values women, I would suggest "Ten Lies the Church Tells Women : How the Bible Has Been Misused to Keep Women in Spiritual Bondage" by J. Lee Grady (a man who truly respects God's purposes for all His children, sons as well as daughters).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book based on God's word, Jan. 14 2002
This review is from: Liberated Through Submission (Paperback)
My wife read this book and it really helped her with the understanding of the principles of submission found in the Bible.
I read it also and I found it very balanced and scripturally based. Satan deceives women into thinking submission will be a pure hell and he tries to encourage the opposite behavior, which is control. I believe this book can help many women and men see how God views submission and it will help liberate their lives! Glory to God!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb37b2420)

Liberated Through Submission
Liberated Through Submission by P.B. Wilson (Paperback - Dec 15 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01