5.0 out of 5 stars a fresh and novel view of the current business trends
this book is definitely out of the ordinary: it proposes a novel (to me at least) view of the current economy trends and well illustrate an equivalence between the work environment and the stage of a theatrical play.
Worth reading it.
Published on May 29 2004 by lalala

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise -- but fades fast
The concept of experience and its in role business is important. However the book treats the subject too lightly, I get the impression that all business will soon be DisneyWorld.
The book's examples -- most focused on entertainment -- makes the concept appear trite and limited. Needed more real business issues and examples for my taste.
I agree that...
Published on July 19 2000 by mpmcdonald

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Look at Business Today, July 8 2004
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This book definitely makes you stop and think about what today's consumer wants and expects. (In fact, it's easy, just ask yourself what you would want - what you're offering or what Walt Disney is offering). Businesses that don't make a lasting impression, offer an experience for the consumer will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fresh and novel view of the current business trends, May 29 2004
Worth reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nardelli-led bounce gives book its just due, July 29 2003
As I write this review on July 29, 2003, I see 'The Experience Economy' is ranked at #624 in amazon.com's constantly updated sales rankings. Pretty heady for a fairly esoteric business book published in April 1999.
The reason has to do with the latest (August 2003) edition of 'Fast Company' magazine. The editors asked a series of business leaders to pick one "book that matters," noting that "one book can change the direction of a company -- or a career." Bob Nardelli, ex-of GE and now CEO of the Home Depot, chose 'The Experience Economy.'
That's a great thing, because this excellent piece of work really got the short shrift - with its April 1999 publication date, its message of capturing the full potential of face-to-face retail got buried in the tsunami of e-commerce hysteria.
Now that we all recognize the Internet as just another viable sales channel, this fine effort by Pine and Gilmore has a second life. The fact that Nardelli picked it as his one book that matters tells you all you need to know about his vision for the future of Home Depot.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate product differentiator, Aug. 7 2002
Steffen Schulz (Sandton, Gauteng South Africa) - See all my reviews
This book really opened my eyes, and made me see my service offerings from a customer perspective. I've become incredibly passionate about the experience economy concept, and am constantly looking for real life examples or potential applications.
When I stand in a queue I'm thinking about how I would go about offering the service or product I'm queueing for.
When I speak to the beauracracy that provides me banking or insurance services, I'm forever demanding that they change the impersonal and inflexible way that they engage with me.
If you're looking for a new paradigm in selling what you have to offer, then this is the book for you.
I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The basis for the future of business, June 11 2002
Steve Holland (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
These guys GET IT. The ideas presented in this book have proven extremely influential in proving the value of experience design to clients. All they need to see / understand is the value chain and they are hooked.
This is an instant classic and should be on everyones shelf.
Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars BE A PRINCIPAL ACTOR!, Oct. 13 2001
Sergio (Alicante, Spain) - See all my reviews
This book is the begining of a new concept for me. As businessman I have to say that thanks to Pine and Gilmore my difference regarding the competence is now very high. I have created a new service based on the very insightful ideas and philosophy of this book. As being never before I enjoyed so much as reading a business book.
If you are a businessman worryed about your future (and you must in this times!) then no doubt. Read it. But if not, don't waste your time, forget it and continue being only another business more(or secondary actor).
Thanks Mr. Pine & Mr. Gilmore.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awakening, June 19 2001
By A Customer
No matter what your business, or your place in that business, this book is for you! You know the world is changing and you want stay in pace, this book will help you in that effort. As you read this book your own personal experiences will be the confirmation of the content.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awakening, June 19 2001
Allison (Stuart, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
No matter what your business, or your place in that business, this book is for you! You know the world is changing and you want stay in pace, this book will help you in that effort. As you read this book your personal experiences will be the confirmation of its content.

5.0 out of 5 stars looking at 'taking care of business' differently, Aug. 6 2000
Carol H. Tucker (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
The Pine and Gilmore book about work and theater is a different, but not unique, way of looking at business. By concentrating on employees' ROLES instead of jobs and functions, this book encapsulates new thinking about:
-how a company presents itself to the customer -internal customer service
-the need for aggressive change management
-differentiation of products
-dynamic strategic planning [no more five year plans] -where actual economic value is found
A very quick and dirty overview of their concepts can be accomplished by looking at their definitions:
[cast=employees]must take on [roles = responsibilities] by each making choices to develop compelling [characterizations=representations] that form(s) a cohesive [ensemble = organization] to engage [guests = customers] in memorable ways
workplace = theater drama = strategy
script = processes
producer = shareholders, investors director = leader
Perhaps the most memorable section in the book that resonated with me was the statement that for every piece of work, one must describe his [or her] intention using the phrase "in order to"
what a powerful way to keep the focus! It brought to mind the story about the cathedral builders that I have seen in so many places....
And I was left with a solid suggestion on how to recognize the role of support departments -- those people who get left out when the sales incentives and bonuses are given out but without whom the entire organization will falter -- see the chapter on movie and stage credits!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise -- but fades fast, July 19 2000
I agree that experience is important, perhaps critical to the future--but this book does not give me much to go on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa5a0cb1c)

The Experience Economy
The Experience Economy by James H. Gilmore (Audio Cassette - Nov. 1 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 32.86