5.0 out of 5 stars How to cabinets extrordinaire!, Dec 30 2010
David B. Hitchcock (Ottawa, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works (American Woodworker) (Paperback)
I have some woodworking experience, the bulk of which was woodshop in high school where I turned out some pretty nice furniture. I thought I knew the basics, but after reading this book I now realize I barely knew anything.

The first third of this book goes over assembly methods in detail showing all possible variations on methods with exploded view line drawings. Its very easy to see what is being explained and how one method differs from the next. There is even a section dedicated to what to do when your drawer sides are too thin to countersink cross members. If you didn't understand that statement, you might want to start with carpentry for dummies or flip through this book to see if the pictures explain it better - they did for me!

The second two thirds of this book are all about different furniture and cabinets, what they look like assembled, some background on them, and then exploded views showing all the assembly required. If you read the first part of the book, these pages on the furniture are very easy to read and its interesting to compare the differences between two pieces that look very similar.

If you are thinking about getting into cabinetry full time, or if you are just looking to save some money and fix up your house's cabinets yourself (like me), this is a great book. The only downside is that it may get you trying to make better furniture than you had planned on! But I don't think that's really a down side.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars one beautiful book!, Oct. 18 2012
This book is thorough, and crafted with care. The many diagrams are enormously clear and useful. It is simply beautiful. It's appropriate for any woodworker of moderate skill. Beginners could certainly profit from it, if they're willing to keep coming back to it. For those of moderate skill, it's like an advanced course in joinery and project planning. Probably few of us are so knowledgeable and skilled that this book wouldn't be useful. I'd recommend that you buy this jewel immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Feb. 1 2013
Though over the years I have built most of our living room furniture, two houses and several sheds, I still consider myself a woodworking enthusiast in the early stages of learning. For me, this book is a great resource: it is rich with information about wood, about standard cabinetry construction types and techniques and most of all about the art of joinery. The illustrations are very well drawn and represent both clarity and artistry and leave you with no doubt about how things go together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Feb. 8 2014
I'm a wannabe wood worker and this book has great illustrations and ideals. Really enjoy seeing how things are put together and the information it contains is valuable to me because it seems less daunting for a novice to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall great, Sept. 23 2013
This is a great book because of a few things such as the detail provided on the important topics of wood movement and joints. I love the exploded view pictures, commentary and references.

I will admit a few of the cabinets and tables in this book are quite old fashioned compared to what I usually build. But I understand that a lot of 19th century style woodworking is still practiced. Each picture in this book is worth 1000 words but I would also appreciate a few more tips and tricks for each furniture item such as how to cut pencil bedposts for example.

4.0 out of 5 stars one great book, June 30 2013
I consider this book as a book of knowledge for woodworkers as one can see by my rating. I would recommend this book to everyone makes cabinets

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Book!!, Oct. 17 2012
This is one of the best books I have read on Cabinet making!

The 1st part covers every joint and technique imaginable, and the second part covers many furniture styles with construction break-outs and overall measurements, making it easy to plan and build similar type furniture.

It is really my favourite Cabinet Making book !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 10 2014
Ms. Laura Lambell (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my partner so don't have much to say about it personally but he seems to think it's a good book!

CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87