5.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Stars!
Do NOT buy any other book on MySQL. You will end up tossing others aside and buying this one. As others have said, chapter 2 gives the absolute best discussion of normalization ever. It is required reading of new staff in my shop. This book is always within arms reach when I am coding. Do yourself a big favor and buy it NOW.
Published on Oct. 29 2003 by frogsteaks

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair reference to start with, but leaves you wanting more
Published on Jan. 26 2003 by rjaising

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied and a very good reference, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
I have had this book for 3 years now and it is still on my "easy-access bookshelf". I use MySQL and can't comment on the mSQL portion. I can't claim that it is the best book to learn from, but it was adequate for me at the time...the mere fact that I still use this book so frequently is enough for me to recommend anyone to buy it as a MySQL reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Stars!, Oct. 29 2003
"frogsteaks" (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair reference to start with, but leaves you wanting more, Jan. 26 2003
"rjaising" (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
The books was my first introduction to MySQL ( I never read anything about mSQL out of choice) and I felt it started of well, but as I got further the book lacked depth both in examples and content. The second half is more like a reference manual probably good for someone with prior knowledge. I guess O'relliy could do better having more detailed examples and an online reference code / cd with ready examples from the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overall introduction to SQL databases..., Dec 29 2002
Brian Ecker (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
This books provides a good all around introduction to databases, SQL and the mSQL and MySQL database servers. It tends to favor MySQL a bit more, but this seems appropriate given that MySQL is now far more advanced than mSQL.
It also serves as a pretty good reference for both servers (though, by no means a complete one). It explains some database building basics, as well as what 2NF and 3NF mean (and how to make your database 3NF). It contains several useful chapters on different APIs to MySQL and mSQL including a very helpful introduction to the Perl DBI.
I still find the reference pages pretty helpful, but for people looking for an advanced reference, I'd say look elsewhere (perhaps "Managing and Using MySQL" (ASIN 0596002114)).
If you're just learning SQL or MySQL, this is a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MySQL Tutorial and Intro book ever written!, Dec 27 2002
Denys Vorobyov (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
Simply the best MySQL intro book. If you have no MySQL experience I believe you have no idea where to start from and this book is a perfect tutorial that guide MySQL newbie step by step to more and more complicated aspects of MySQL. Even if almost 1/3 of the book is about programming MySQL using different languages, you will find enough information to get basic MySQL experience, have a clear understanding of all MySQL concepts and be prepared to read (and understand) MySQL reference books ( You will need them anyway :-) )
Even when you finish to read this book
it will serve you as good SQL (mSQL and MySQL dialects) reference.
Conclusion: this is your first MySQL book! I think the second will be MySQL Reference Book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!!, Aug. 8 2002
Cliente Amazon "canillas" (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
This certainly the worst book on computers that I've ever seen. O'Reilly, do something about this NOW!!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, July 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: MySQL and mSQL (Paperback)
Very disappointing. O'Reilly books generally mean quality but this one is terrible. It's poorly organized and the idea of covering both MySQL and mSQL in the same book simply doesn't work. Most people will be using one or the other and will be flipping back and forth trying to find the relevant chapters. What information there is is not particularly useful or insightful, consisting mostly of technical references which are done much better on the MySQL site. Not recommended.
Instead of this book, I would go with:
The Practical SQL handbook- for general learning about SQL
MySQL by Paul DuBois
and depending on whether you plan to use PHP or Perl:
MySQL and Perl for the Web by Paul DuBois
PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson

ARRAY(0xb7447264)

MySQL and mSQL
MySQL and mSQL by Randy Yarger (Paperback - July 8 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01