5.0 out of 5 stars rated the best by my colleagues, May 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception (Paperback)
I purchased this book in hopes of understanding why the addict does what he or she does. I work with many HIV/AIDS patients, and many of them are addicts. This book was amazing not only to me but to most of the colleagues who have been around this behavior many years. We were actually fighting over this book after everyone was taking about. It was very easy, quick reading, and very clearly stated. I just can't say enough about it. If you read it I can assure you that you will want to share the information and stories you read. Currently my copy is MIA so I am buying another few copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For The Professional or The Layman, Oct. 28 2003
Being a psychyology major in college specializing in addiction, as well as overcoming my own personal addictions, I found Twerski's book was excellent. I bought it simply as a text book supplement for a college course, and ended up reading it a few times. He gives a great insight into the mind of the addict, and nice overview of life AFTER addiction and the logical, spiritual, and emotional hurdles forever in front of the affected individual and those around him. I read this just after my third year of abstinence and pulled so much from it in my personal life. Whether you are an addict or just know or have been affected by one, have been through the twelve-step meetings or struggled alone, give it a try. It still sits in my library and is a book I often recommend to those I meet and are dealing with an aspect of addiciton, treatment, and sobriety.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book - but Rabbi Twerski has a better one, Jan. 3 2001
By A Customer
A very good book with the basics on addiction. I especially enjoyed the chapter on spirituality and the addict, although I would have liked to have seen a little more on this subject.
Twerski's book "The Spiritual Self" has what I was looking for and much more. I think it is a must read for ANYONE on the road to recovery. He explains how the role of the human spirit is essential in the addict's new life and how one does not even need to be religious (although it certainly helps!).

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide to understanding how the addict thinks, March 24 1999
By A Customer
Finally, in plain English, this book explains how the addict thinks and why he treats himself and others the way he does. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does offer comfort in knowing that you are not to blame. I only wish the book went one step farther in offering some advice as to how to deal sanely with addictive behavior, how to react and perhaps what to expect when you do react. Overall, well worth reading.

Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception
Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception by Abraham J Twerski M.D. (Paperback - April 30 1997)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.64