5.0 out of 5 stars Goldie Finally Gets Her Man!
Once again Goldie is involved in another mystery. On her wedding day everything just falls apart! Tom her intended ends up missing. Does Goldie survive? The characters in this book are one of a kind. Does Goldie ever get a moments peace? Everyone wants something. Can the church have her flowers from her wedding? After all, she doesn't need them. What about all...
Published on June 11 2000 by Sandra L. Osborn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite satisfying...
Published on Sept. 14 2003 by Cynthia K. Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite satisfying..., Sept. 14 2003
Cynthia K. Robertson (beverly, new jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This is the second Diane Mott Davidson that I have read, and although it is light and fluffy and entertaining, we're not talking great fiction or even great mystery here. Davidson is one of the many mystery writers nowadays who has come upon a theme, and her theme is food. The main character, Goldy Bear, is a caterer and while she's running around solving crimes, she's also cooking up a storm. Three things kept me from giving this book more stars. First, the plot is rather hokey and it's hard to believe that after Goldy's fiance' is kidnapped just minutes before her wedding, that in the three days following, she would take on last minute catering jobs. Also, Goldy never listens to the police and always tries to solve things on her own (makes you wonder why she hasn't been killed). Second, I'm a devout Episcopalian and while I usually enjoy books with Episcopal themes, the complicated jargon of the Episcopal Church even got tiring to me after awhile. Most non-Episcopalians would be hard pressed to give definitions of narthex or ambry. Finally, as someone who likes to cook and entertains quite a bit, I found that the dozen or so recipes that are included in this book didn't even appear appetizing (except for maybe the cinnamon buns). Anyway, I will admit that I was anxious to keep turning pages to see who the villain was in this book. But overall, I don't think it is one of Davidson's better efforts.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one of her best!, March 6 2003
J. J. Dangermond (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
OK OK the recipes are better in some of the other books. And would Goldy really be have the ability to concentrate in a church committee review board while her fiance is missing? And unfortunately this is one of the shorter books....
BUT!! This is truly a gem to read from beginning to end. Being Episcopal myself, I can relate to some of the items that Goldy talks about with her church. Her reaction to a miracle performed at the church, not to mention a certain thing happening to her at a Women's Prayer Group (I won't spoil it), show that Goldy truly is not a one-dimensional character. I guess what really got me in the end was the true love that Goldy showed for Tom by not thinking he just ran off on her. Thank you Dian Davidson! Keep on cooking

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best in the series, July 18 2002
By A Customer
I am reading all of the books in this series and this book was rather disappointing, although the monster cinnamon rolls were most excellent. This one was just a bit of a downer and then I missed Tom also. If you don't have to read EVERY book in a series you can skip this one. Janet Evanovich is a funnier, more enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great church thriller, May 6 2002
By A Customer
This book delves wonderfully into the details of the operations of a parish and makes those details relevant to the plot. I felt the characters were real people, not jsut cookie-cutter good and bad guys. I very much enjoyed each new wrinkle that Ms. Davidson stirred into the story.

1.0 out of 5 stars a hardly progressing novel focusing on food and church, May 1 2002
By A Customer
i read DYING FOR CHOCOLATE and THE CEREAL MURDERS, both of which i found barely passable, but i wanted to continue in the series anyway. This book was a big disappointment. the mystery barely progresses at all, and suddenly you're hit in the face with the killer. there is way too much focus on the church. i'm not a religious person and i was seriously lost in this book, skimming and even skipping several chapters. i just wanted to know, whodunnit?? but even the solution was unsatisfying, complicated, and left me feeling cheated out of both money and time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Food, and Too Much Church, March 18 2002
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
I managed to finish this book, but will definitely not read another one in this series. She's written a passable mystery, but I found too much emphasis on food and church. If you enjoy those two things, you would really love the whole series. The author is VERY knowledgeable about church affairs, and calls on that knowledge to write this series. the emphaszis on food is meant to bring humor into the book. But I don't find that mystery and humor mix very well. Also, I just could never come to like the main character (or any of the other characters, either), and therefore, never really got pulled into caring about what happened in the books. I had really looked forward to reading one of the books in this series. This was the first one I came across. It was a disappointment for me personally.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Food, and Too Much Church, March 18 2002
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
I managed to finish this book, but will definitely not read another one in this series. She's written a passable mystery, but I found too much emphasis on food and church. If you enjoy those two things, you would really love the whole series. The author is VERY knowledgeable about church affairs, and calls on that knowledge to write this series. the emphaszis on food is meant to bring humor into the book. But I don't find that mystery and humor mix very well. Also, I just could never come to like the main character (or any of the other charaters, either, and therefore, never really got pulled into caring about what happened in the books. I had really looked forward to reading one of the books in this series. This was the first one I came across. It was a disappointment for me personally.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Hard on Her Protagonists, Aug. 22 2001
D.M.D. sure seems to know her cookery, and her mysteries function all right. Having just moved to Colorado, I renewed my acquaintance with her "Aspen" (?) based series. However, poor Goldy and her fiancee can't even get through their wedding without a major personal disaster. D.M.D. characters don't just investigate murder & mayhem, they get tragically involved in the crimes in very personal ways. It is getting hard to pick up another book, knowing the kind of angst Goldy and her family is in for, and I probably won't. By the way, isn't it kind of hypocritical to base the series around gourmet catering and then harp on the best friend's (& fellow ex-wife's) fatness? Kind of shallow; and very seldom moves the plot forward.

2.0 out of 5 stars The recipes are the best part., Aug. 10 2001
By A Customer
I was very intrigued by the premise of this series but was disappointed by the writing. The charactor's dialog in this book borders on ridiculous which makes the story unbelievable. I only finished the book because I was curious to find out "who done it."

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, July 6 2001
V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Goldy's getting married!!! ... or is she!? In "The Last Suppers" Goldy must find her groom-to-be (Tom) before the person who murdered Father Olson murders Tom! You will find 10 delicious looking recipes in this book (such as: Monster Cinnamon Rolls, Lemon Butter Wafers and Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake). Another delightful book by Diane Mott Davidson.

The Last Suppers
The Last Suppers by Diane Mott Davidson (Paperback - March 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.86