5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Dec 22 2007
This review is from: Thinking With Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, and Students (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. There are very few typography books that explain how type works as well as this. It is well written and clear. It is ideal for students and a good reference book. It is not long winded as many books on this subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have Typography book, March 31 2009
Jeremy W. Newton "Jeremy Newton" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been in the graphic design industry for the past 10 years and although fully trained in the field I still find myself asking questions that were never addressed while studying. Because of these nagging questions I have set out to find relevant titles that will provide me with the answers that I needed.
One aspect of design that I have always been obsessed with is typography. So much work goes into the design of a font. I enjoy paying attention to the little quirks that make fonts different from one another. This book was an absolute blast for me to read for that very reason. With just enough type background for me to appreciate where type came from the book was written with many different examples of why and how certain layouts and uses of type work in specific situations (exactly what I needed to know!). It also teaches the technical side of typography with great use of definitions and diagrams. Technical info is spread throughout the book which is nice because sometimes too much technical info all at once can really turn a reader off. The last pages of the book are a collection of typography do's and do not's. A great piece of reference material. As should be expected the books layout is beautiful.
I recommend this book to anybody who has a desire to learn about typography or to make their designs better through proper use of type. I predict that this book will make most designers better at their jobs in one form or another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for graphic design students, Aug. 2 2008
I'm almost at the end of a lackluster graphic design course and this book has really helped fill in some gaps of how different principles should be applied and why. The background she gives on typography is wonderful and the book itself is a really easy read - nowhere near as heavy as Megg's History of Graphic Design but not nearly as in-depth. I have a way better understanding of grid usage and I feel that I can make more appropriate design decisions. Very worthwhile for students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Type of Book on Type, March 15 2010
I'm sure there is a book on type out there that doesn't use up a good portion of its pages talking about the history of type and instead, is completely dedicated to relevant information about how to use it today. This wasn't it. Like all the rest, it had me slogging through history with nothing different to add to what I have already read a dozen times before. While not much was gained about type, despite its title, it does have a great chapter on Grids, giving rather well written descriptions and displaying well thought-out diagrams and examples. While much of it is a regurgitation of other books of this nature, there is just enough new information or better explanations of the old to make it worth the purchase.

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01