5.0 out of 5 stars Most Awesome Vegan Cookbook

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Awesome Vegan Cookbook, Dec 21 2007
T. Wise (Ottawa, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
Isa and Terry wow us again with their amazing ability to create innovative vegan dishes with depth, texture and flavour, as well as entertain us with their culinary humour. This book not only contains an in-depth introduction on how to cook any bean, grain or veggie, but has wide range of recipes from quick weeknight fixes to amaze-your-dinner-party-guests gourmet meals. Easy icons identify supermarket-friendly dishes, as well as lower-fat and gluten-free recipes. Every recipe is appropriate for long-time vegans who appreciate tasty food, as well as new vegans, potential vegans and family members of vegans. Or really anyone. My favourites include Snobby Joes, Chestnut-Lentil Pate, Caesar Salad, Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh, Marinated Tofu, Chickpea Cutlets, Baked Potato and Greens Soup, Vanilla Ice Cream and Pistachio-Rosewater Cookies. This book is required reading for every cook who makes healthy and delicious food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, May 21 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this cookbook a few days ago, and I've been cooking from it for every meal since. Everything I've tried has been amazing! I'm a vegetarian, and my boyfriend is severely allergic to dairy, so finding meals we'll both enjoy can be very difficult. Even though he's an avowed meat eater, even he has been raving about the recipes! I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who wants to limit the animal products in their diet, not just vegans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., Nov. 5 2008
shauna mcclemens (North Bay Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've been buying books from amazon forever, and this is the first time I've bothered to review one. This book is amazing. It offers recipes that my carnivore friends and family love so much they forget they food is vegan. I've made at least two meals from this pretty well every day since buying it. Thank you so much for a vegan cookbook that isn't just a regular boring cookbook with tofu thrown in, and rather making gourmet recipes that aren't the next-best thing, but simply the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid vegan cookbook for experienced cooks, Jan. 2 2011
Leau77 (Courtenay, B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I was given this cookbook from a friend as in introduction to vegan cooking, and I was very excited to incorporate it into our meal plans. However, I've had this book for over a year now and I find it incredibly challenging to use on a daily basis. I have trouble finding a meal that can be whipped up in under 30 mins. I understand that delcious, wholesome food cannot be quick; but these recipes require a lot of advance steps and lengthy ingredient lists. This is not a cookbook for beginners or rushed people, but the flavours are fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, could be more practical, June 17 2013
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
This recipe book has some good ideas, but is a bit too fancy for everyday use. It would be nice if there was a mix of fancy and simple..

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good :-), May 14 2013
Vesna Vespa (Santa Monica,Ca,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I originally took this book out from the library, to first see how it stood the recipe test. So far I have not been disappointed at all. I have made about 5 recipes,and all of them turned out very nice and delish. The cuisine is quite sophisticated,but what I love most about this book is that the recipes are SUPERMARKET FRIENDLY, meaning that ingredients are pretty easy to find in your typical supermarket. That is a plus for me, because I hate vegan recipe books that call for difficult to find and pricey items(which seems to be a majority from my experience) that I have to search for in gourmet shops or health food stores.I will be buying this book for my kindle,and taking it with me everywhere I travel. I'd say that this is probably the best vegan cookbook out there(and I've seen and bought my share!).

4.0 out of 5 stars My go-to cookbook, April 19 2012
P. Santos (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've had this book for only a few months now but it's definitely one I come back to again and again. There are just so many ideas and the layout is fantastic. I'm almost tempted to give it five stars aside from the severe lack of photos. It's generally easy to find photos of the recipes in Veganomicon online though, because most fans take photos of the completed dishes and post them. Unfortunately, I don't necessarily want to do that. I'd like the photos to be presented in the book itself.
This is a small issue though, and what I have made, although it might not look as Isa and Terry intended, has been absolutely amazing. My meat-eating mom and boyfriend never complain, and those who do quickly change their minds when they actually start eating. This book doesn't skimp on flavor, and that's a good thing, but some recipes do require a little tweaking for my personal tastes. This also means that the ingredient lists can be somewhat daunting. For instance, the jambalaya calls for 24 ingredients. It makes a hefty amount and is definitely delicious to boot, but if you don't have packaged seitan available to buy anywhere nearby, know that you'll be making seitan before the jambalaya too and that's another 6-7 ingredients and hour's worth of prep time. That said, this isn't standard for the recipes in this book as only a handful of the recipes are this complex and intimidating. (I should mention that the jambalaya is fantastic and worth making at least once!).
My favorite thing about this book though is Isa's and Terry's list of menus. They've compiled a list at the back of the book based on flavors and/or ingredients that work together. For instance, the Rustic Goddess Menu includes the Tomato Couscous with Capers, Rustic White Beans with Mushrooms, and a suggested soup and dessert pairing of Broccoli-Potato Soup with Fresh Herbs and Berry-Coconut Crisp respectively. And it works extremely well! So if you're ever in need of serving guests and you don't know what to make with what, this little addition is just such a life-saver.
The book has an index of Soy-Free recipes, Gluten-Free recipes, Low fat/reduced fat recipes, Under 45 minutes recipes, and Supermarket Friendly recipes, so there's really something in here for absolutely everyone and every diet. I recommend this book to meat-eaters and non-meat-eaters alike. It's just simply my absolute favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book even for non-vegans, Feb. 10 2014
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I purchased this book to find new ways to prepare vegan meals. I love that many of the meals are simple and don't require a lot of time and effort. The recipes are consistently delicious, and are easily modified to suit a vegetarian diet (instead of vegan). The pictures are beautiful, and the writing is approachable and conversational. We use the book weekly in our meal planning, and the practical tips are great. I don't use all of the recipes as written but that it more my fault than the author's - I am not a vegan, and therefore my commitment to products like seitan is probably not as strong as someone who is. Overall, a really great book (and the spicy citrus vinaigrette is incredible).

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to vegan cookbook, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
oh my gosh, you can't go wrong with this book if you're a new vegan. awesome recipes, great flavour and explanations for anyone new to vegan cuisine. my tried, true and fave vegan recipes are in this book!! I always give it as a gift to new cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Dec 29 2013
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is the #1 vegan book I have ever owned. Very detailed.very vegan should own this book especially new vegans!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xadf2e408)

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Terry Hope Romero (Hardcover - Nov. 2 2007)
CDN$ 32.50 CDN$ 20.38