5.0 out of 5 stars If you have IBS ..read it now!! :)
This book awnsered ALL of my IBS questions ..and then some ..it has given me the ablity to actually drive in my car or leave my house for more than 20 miniutes. Basically it's made me feel "normal " again........
Published on April 20 2009 by Ontariobooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Need more facts....not sugar pill remedies
Published on June 23 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Need more facts....not sugar pill remedies, June 23 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The First Year: IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome): An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (Paperback)
This book does a good job of putting us all at ease that by letting us know we are not alone and that IBS can be controlled with diet. The advice about changing diet is good but too extreme. Most people will not need to go to the extreme diet elimination that the author suggests. Unfortuntately, the advice on medications and dietary supplements is based for the most part on annectodal experience rather than scientific evidence. While the author has her IBS under control...most people will be able to get their IBS under control with a less drastic measures ie. elminating alcohol, soft drinks, high fat foods and dairy. It is unlikely that most people will need to follow the authors footsteps and take peppermint tea 4 times a day, high dose calcium three times a day, and metamucil 3 times a day to become regular. In fact many of these unproven nutritional supplemnts can have adverse long term health effects and should only be tried with medical supervision

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, July 25 2009
Ken Kozak (MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book will certainly help you deal with IBS. There are a few safe foods that aren't safe for me though. You will have to use trial and error to learn exactly which foods bother you at first. I am drinking peppermint tea now and will be taking Heather's fiber supplement when I receive it in the mail as well.

Good Luck with your IBS!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have IBS ..read it now!! :), April 20 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information on IBS, March 2 2004
Helen Gates (indianapolis, In. United States) - See all my reviews
This book has so much helpful information on IBS
After two years of tests, surgery and five trips to Emergency Department for severe abdominal spasms I found more information in this book than I did from the all the medical staff I came in contact with. This book is truly a lifesaver for people with IBS

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Year of IBS, Nov. 24 2003
"nwrasor" (Garland, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This book actually has a section called "What to eat when you can't eat anything" - for someone without IBS that sounds stupid - for someone with IBS it can bring tears to your eyes because you can be there everyday. You are hungry, you don't feel good, all you want to do is eat something - anything - and not get diarrhea and stomach cramps. The list provided in this book is only the start of a fantastic new journey toward being able to eat. It's so fantastic. Almost like being able to walk again!! And, that is just the beginning. The book is very easy to understand, very sensitive to your situation (unlike any doctor you've seen, humm!) and it gives you knowledge that WILL make your days more normal - identifies the triggers (foods) that activate the ibs and helps you work around them. Forget the doctors and the tests and the medicines - this book is all you need (well, along with EATING FOR IBS). I've had it for four weeks and for four weeks I've been able to figure out what to eat at a restaurant and be able to get on the back of a motorcycle and go on a long trip without fear! Try that with ibs! Thank God for Heather and the fact she has found an answer and shared it with so many of us. If the book cost a thousand dollars, it would be worth it! Get it, read it, your life WILL change. You CANNOT eat like everyone else, this books shows you how to eat for you......

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST reading...not just for the newly diagnosed!, Aug. 21 2003
By A Customer
I'm still not sure if I have Crohn's or IBS, but this book has provided MUCH more help than anything the drs have provided. Seriously, this book is worth its weight in gold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Clarification, Aug. 10 2003
I found this book, as well as the authors other work on the subject (Eating for IBS), full of useful information. However, I feel a better distinction between the two types of IBS should have been made when recommending dietary guidelines. Some of the recommendations, such as snacking on sour dough bread, will actually aggravate the constipation dominant form of IBS.
I also found several contradictions between the author's soluble/insoluble fiber content recommendations and several other sources listing the soluble/insoluble fiber content of various foods.
Overall, I would say this book would be a good reference to be used with other sources for anyone suffering from diarrhea dominant IBS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have IBS? This book is a must!, July 28 2003
By A Customer
I can't recommend this book highly enough. For years I've been plagued by what doctors had diagnosed as IBS. They talked about foods, particularly fiber, but since I've been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years, I thought I knew what I needed to about food, and was told that my diet was good. I thought the answer for me was in eating very little, no more than twice a day, and hoping... Nevertheless, the problems persisted, becoming at times quite debilitating. A few weeks ago I learned of this book. I carefully read it, and, last week, for the first time in ages, I had two cross-country flights without any difficulty, and a week's vacation with only one problem. It's all due to this book, which is quite well written, extremely practical, with detailed suggestions, and transformative, in my experience.
Now, I suddenly have the feeling that perhaps actually feeling "normal" is possible, and normal is taking on a completely new meaning for me. For anyone with IBS, or who knows someone with IBS, this book is a MUST!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Ever Needed to Know..., July 22 2003
Ignatius J. Reilly "Not my Real Name" (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
...I learned from my gastroenterologist! As the third in a long line of those who suffered from what my grandmother used to call "the screamin' itch", it's a tremendous relief to finally be able to both name and treat this affliction. Only recently diagnosed, I spent most of my earlier years wondering why nobody else in my class looked like that were trying to smuggle a Rubik's cube. What the heck did I eat last night, a Chinese Throwing Star? It got to the point where I was looking for a milder variety of oatmeal.
Unfortunately, the diagnosis does little to help my superiors at the pepper plant understand my (seemingly quite understandable) lack of enthusiasm for my job in Quality Assurance; but once a pepper-taster, always a pepper-taster.
Top notch book, beautiful diagrams!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Ever Needed to Know..., July 22 2003
By A Customer
Top notch book, beautiful diagrams!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›