4.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner
The story of the murderer Billy Porter, as told by various people whose lives he affected.
Published on April 30 2002 by MR G. Rodgers

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and, ultimately, disappointing
Published on Feb. 25 2003 by Charlotte Vale-Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and, ultimately, disappointing, Feb. 25 2003
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
I loved The Long Firm; it was wonderful. So, naturally, I bought author Arnott's second book, He Kills Coppers. After the opening sequence, I started to wonder if I was having an extended senior moment (age often has nothing to do, I've discovered, with those senior moments. A tedious book can induce them; so can bad rap music.) I couldn't figure out which character was which, what was happening, or why.
This is a book that could have used some serious definition, instead of simply placing asterisks between sections. Those asterisks, one learns after much confusion, indicate a shift to another character. And some of the characters are written in third person, some in the first. As well, the copy-editing leaves much to be desired. (Who's instead of whose was one of my favorite goofs.) References to both Beatniks and hippies in supposedly the same era distorts the time frame--Beatniks were of the 50s, hippies of the latter 60s and early 70s. So it's not only hard to jump from one character to the next, it's also tough figuring out the era.
At moments, the book leaps to life and for twenty or thirty pages it becomes gripping. Then the grip eases and we're back in the muddle--reading of characters about whom it's hard to care; killers, cops, thugs of every stripe. And, finally, an ending that leaves one thinking, "So what?"
A very disappointing effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, April 30 2002
MR G. Rodgers (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
This entertaining crime novel is Arnott's follow-up to "The Long Firm" - although it's not strictly a sequel, it's similar in format, and several of the characters from the earlier novel reappear. I thought that it was a good read, though I imagine that it will not surprise or overly impress real crime fiction fans (I am a strict amateur!).
The action takes place mostly in 1966, the strongest part of the book in my opinion, then shifts to 1971 and then again to 1985. Arnott paints a picture of an English underworld in which both criminals and corrupt police operate to their mutual advantage. Yet, this is not a self-contained substratum of society - the dividing lines between the criminal world and "respectable" society are very grey.
Arnott's England is one which is increasingly at odds with itself: the tension of the "swinging" yet still repressed 1960s; prone to mindless violence (soccer riots of the 1970s); and riven by the bitter strife of the mid-1980s. The establishment has lost its way, become corrupt and lost the confidence and respect of the masses it purports to lead.
I enjoyed this novel (as I did "The Long Firm"). Whether or not Arnott can go on to develop new themes in future novels remains to be seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, Feb. 6 2002
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
I've been on a London binge: LONDON FIELDS (M. Amis), CAPITAL (M. Duffy), and now HE KILLS COPPERS. So good I read it one sitting. And like passive people everywhere I am into detail, which Arnott provides so artfully. Especially good is an English soccer riot. What do you call these guys? Hooligans? Rude boys? Anyway, this mass-spectacle is right up there with DeLillo's awesome crowd episodes: the Moonie wedding at Yankee Stadium in MAO II, the epic Giants game in UNDERWORLD. So satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, violent and vintage Arnott, Feb. 14 2002
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
If you loved The Long Firm, you'll really love He Kills Coppers. Arnott is a master at crafting round characters and each of the 3 narrators here jump from the page. Its nice to know that British noir is alive and well in Jake Arnott's hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, Jan. 22 2002
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
The writing is so excellent & London is done with the acuity of Dickens. Arnott's depiction of Great Britain teetering toward dissolution is truly amazing, like a Red Giant about to blow.

3.0 out of 5 stars A really great half a novel, Feb. 7 2002
T. Summers (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
This thing really crackles along for a while and I was expecting great things, but then the dialogue goes flat, the characters thin out and, blah.
It's still preeeetty good, but just.

He Kills Coppers
He Kills Coppers (Hardcover)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.91