5.0 out of 5 stars a change of pace for one of Sci-Fi/Fantasy's best
I'ma big fan of OSC's sci-fi books, with their strength being character development & ethical dilemmas as opposed to "gadgetry" or technological advances. So I was interested to see what he would do with the fictional account of a biblical matriarch from 3,000 years ago (give or take). I found this book profoundly moving.
As a man reading a book by...
Published on July 10 2004 by Todd, compulsive reader

3.0 out of 5 stars All of Card's empathy, none of his great stories.
Not surprisingly, this book had all the incredible characterization and empathy and human complexity that Card is so good at. Also not surprisingly, there's none of the incredible premises, settings, or plots that he is alos incredibly good at. He makes the biblical story human, but not terribly interesting. And Abraham has the same problem that a lot of his major...
Published on Dec 22 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars a change of pace for one of Sci-Fi/Fantasy's best, July 10 2004
As a man reading a book by another man, about a woman from long ago & lacking in historical details of what her life was really like, you would think this book would lack authenticity. I can't say how women would react to it (although my wife found it excellent). But to me, the author's portrayal of Sarah's stigma of barrenness, her struggle to find a role for herself in Abraham's world, her deft handling of their visit to the Pharoah in Egypt, and her weary patience with her (fictional) spoiled sister Qira (in this book, the author has her married to Lot of Sodom & Gomorrah fame), all ring true.
This is supposed to be the first of a series of three books on women from the Old Testament; based on this one, you can definitely sign me up for the next two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome, May 24 2004
By A Customer
Orson Scott Card, whose Ender and Shadow books stand as some of the most inovative science fiction of recent time, here tries his hand at biblical fiction. While his prose remain reasonable and crisp, his characters here become rather flat. Card's novel rendition of the first matriarch Sarah falls short for the reason much biblical fiction fails, the desire to turn the characters into paragons. Here Abraham is allways the perfect husband and the perfect servant of the Lord. Sarah's faith strays, but never for more than a sentence before it whips back into a state of spiritual perfection. Even the character's who serve as antagoinists, Hagar for example, never come to life.
The result is unfortunate. The novel becomes deadly dull as we read how varrious saintly characters interact, except when a character is not a saint, in which case they are quickly forgiven. Conflict and genunie doubt are, at all times, here kept at a minimum.
The most interesting thing about this book is the way it presents the Mormon perspective on the story of Genesis. Here Abraham, far from the first monotheist, is the carrier of ancient wisdom handed down along a direct line form Noah. This non-textual take is common among Mormon readings. However, it hardly makes this rather dull read worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, May 7 2004
S. Lester (Orange, CA) - See all my reviews
I love this type of book, and Orson Scott Card does it so well! I read "Rachel" after I read this one, and I plan on reading "Rachel and Leah" as soon as it is released in paperback.
Both "Sarah" and "Rachel" cover the lives of their respective biblical characters in such depth and understanding. For a man to penetrate so deeply into a woman's mind who lived so long ago is truly inspiring.
I really enjoy Card's interpretation of events. It seems to match my own fairly well. He sticks to what's in the Bible, but adds and interprets based upon his knowlege of human behavior.
Buy this book and read it over and over! Prepare to go on a journey into the characters, with the characters, and outside of the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Sarai, May 6 2004
H. A Truett "Wordy Girl" (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This was an interesting account of the wife of "Father Abraham." I love that, at the end of the book, Card explains why he made certain decisions about the story and where he did his research. I don't always agree with his interpretation of the story, but (as has most Biblical fiction) the book has made me anxious to open my Bible and read its account of Sarah, digesting every word like precious wine (excepting that I don't actually like wine, but you get the picture). My favorite part of the book was his interpretations of Lot's wife and Hagar, the handmaid who bore Ishmael. If those women truly were how they are portrayed in this novel, then it would explain a lot about why their lives turned out how they did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! give me more!, March 27 2004
What a fantastic way to learn about the wonderful women of the Bible. I hope Orson continues, beyond Genisis!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah, Jan. 30 2004
Christian J. Graham "whisker88" (Warren, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I have often considered the Bible as a whole to be the greatest and long-lived piece of Science Fiction ever written. That being said, who better to write an accessible and entertaining retelling of one of it's most beloved tales from the Old Testament then Orson Scott Card himself?
It is obvious that Orson Scott Card believes in the lives and deeds of the characters of which he writes in "Sarah." He approaches the subject matter in "Sarah" with a delicate, simple and reasoned approach. I can't imagine anyone taking offense to this book. The appearances of God throughout the book are subtle and take place for the most part out of view of the reader, with the exception of the arrival of angels in and destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.
My views on the Bible aside, one must give Orson Scott Card the proper credit for the effort of writing this book, developing biblical characters into mainstream popular fiction cannot be an easy task. I would recommend this novel to anyone who seeks clarification of the story of Sarah as told in the Bible. This is a good retelling of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites!, Dec 6 2003
Food lover (NY, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent combination of historical fact and fiction. Card has a vivid imagination that allows readers to go back in time and feel as if they were a part of Biblical history. Just be careful to remember that truth and fiction are craftfully interwined here and not to lose sight of the important messages behind the story.
As one of my all time favorite books, I had to read Rebekah and Stone Tablets immediately thereafter. I'm still waiting for the 3rd installment of the Women of Genesis trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This ones a keeper!, Oct. 12 2003
By A Customer
I couldn't put this book down and was sad when it ended. I can't wait to read the next one! This is also a book I would want to keep in my bookshelf so I can read it again! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - I finished it in 2 days!, July 23 2003
Sally L. Neff (Nyack, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. It was absolutely thrilling to read this modern midrash (interpretation) on Sarah's story. How wonderful it was to hear Sarah's voice emerge from the text. I thought the book was well researched and I found the author's deviations from the biblical text to be fascinating. I finished this 390 page book (hardcover) in 2 days and it was a pleasure! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll fall in love with Sarah, May 20 2003
By A Customer
After reading Stone Tables, I was looking forward to Sarah's story as told by Orson Scott Card. I was not disappointed. From the very beginning of the book, Sarah is a deep and complex girl who believes in the God of Israel. The rest of the book serves to develop her character even more and settle her deeper and deeper into our hearts. She marries Abraham, and subsequently they travel into Egypt, as recorded in the Bible. I loved OSC's interpretation of the scriptural account and was grateful that he took the risk to add some details. The dialogue, especially between Sarah and Abraham, is brilliant and true to life. OSC is adept in his understanding of human nature and this is very evident in this work.
As in Stone Tables, I was pleased with the outcome, the overall presentation of the characters, and the resolution of the story.

Sarah
Sarah by Orson Scott Card (Hardcover - Oct. 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.88