march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Audio Cassette|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 25, 2016
Pretentious drivel. The worst faux-academia has to offer. I slogged my way halfway through it, buried by kitchy jargon. The most interesting part was when I finally realized the chore this was and tossed it in the trash. I didn't even want to inflict it on another. It's like the worst novel you'd read in an entry level literature class.
on July 25, 2014
Wow. its not my cup of tea. Had to force my way through it, and a month later, I cant remember if I even finished it. Some might like this sort of super sci-fi giberish, but it was painful torture to try to read it to get my moneys worth.
on April 3, 2000
If you want to know how seriously this book should be taken, you have only to look at the kind of people who give it rave reviews. I'm afraid that an endless series of techno-jargon does not a novel make, and the fact that the jargon is never explained confirms the book's pretentiousness. When a new item of tech-terminology is introduced and not elaborated on, the reader can only conclude either that the author is being lazy or that he is hoping a simple-minded readership will assume that he knows better than them. The whole novel is suffused with the sensation of the author chancing his arm.
Neuromancer is an uninteresting, unimaginative and ultimately daft book whose inexplicable popularity is just further evidence that the tendency to mistake opacity for profundity is becoming as common in fiction as it is in literary criticism. Truly dreadful.
on May 13, 1999
This is one of few novels that I have yet to finish. Gibson recants an uninteresting story filled to the bursting point of useless jargon. If entertainment is least on your list of priorities then this book is for you.
on July 16, 2001
Quite frankly, it pains me to give this book even one star, but there's nothing lower.
Picture the worst spaghetti western you've ever seen. Now get rid of the horses and hats and replace them with computers. There, now you have Neuromancer. The plot is so cliched it hurts. A lot. With a flat plot and characters that are hard to give a damn about, I was left feeling completely bamboozled by the people who said this book was a masterpiece of cyberpunk.
If you want a great book of the cyberpunk genre, read Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson instead.
And for those who said it was a mind-rattling, brilliant book: read "Foucault's Pendulum". Then we'll talk about mind-rattling brilliance.
on February 5, 2004
The birth of cyber punk and as well a book that has quite a following and is usually highly reccomended. I don't see why.
I'm a huge tech geek and I love both cyberpunk as a genre and other types of fiction, but I found this book to be flat out terrible.
While reading the book it just didn't seem interesting, it wasn't enjoyable. Add to the fact that this book is written in an absolutely absurb style that makes no sense.
Bottom line, skip the book unless your on some sort of halucinetic drug... maybe reading it will be intersting then.
on April 3, 2001
When I got this book, I thought I was in for a delight. William Gibson is probably the most famous science fiction writer alive, and Neuromancer got rave reviews from everyone. However, after I finished reading the first page, I was lost already. The plot was almost impossible to decipher because Gibson does not introduce his characters. Basically, a random person will show up and end up being one of the main characters. Gibson's choppy desrcriptions didn't help either. I despise this book with a passion.
on March 24, 1999
I had read good things about this book many times in science fiction magazines, so I decided to give it a try. Besides, I knew most of the cyberspace buzzwords, since I had bought a collectible card game based on the cyberspace concept.
I quit reading after 2 chapters. The problem is that a lot of information is crammed in mostly every sentence, so reading becomes extremely tedious. Reminded me of law cases that I had to read for law school: tedious and pretentious writing, unnecessary to illustrate intellectual concepts. I had the book lingering by my bed for a few months, and I tried it a few times, but I just could not get into it.
Then I checked out from the library the unabridged audiotape. I tried to listen, but the narration was so boring that I had to quit listening.
What a disappointment...
on May 11, 1999
I simply don't understand the allure of "Neuromancer." Anyone involved with the publication of this book should take a refresher course in English. If William Gibson can get published, anyone can.
It isn't Gibson's story line that's necessarily bad, just his writing. His descriptive efforts are typically wasted because they are, for the most part, unintelligible. It was very hard to picture what much of anything looked like excepting, perhaps, the Sprawl. The whole novel just seemed like a first draft.
Hey, that which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger (and pickier).
on October 21, 1999
Absolutely unreadable; I couldn't force myself farther than 100 pages into this morass. The "story," such as it is, has all the depth and interest of a video game with pretentious techno-babble commentary. Worse yet, the book takes itself *so* seriously. There's not even the unintentional humor one sometimes finds in spectacular flops like _The Bridges of Madison County_ or _Plan 9 From Outer Space_. _Neuromancer_ is leaden and plodding; an absolute dud. This is the kind of book that leads people to erroneously dismiss science fiction as shallow, nerdy drivel.