5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all birding enthusiasts!
Published on July 20 1999 by Shawna Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginning birders
Published on May 29 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all birding enthusiasts!, July 20 1999
Shawna Ellis "Constant Reader" (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs: Eastern Region (3 CDs) (Audio CD)
This booklet and CD collection is quite helpful when you return from the field after birdwatching. The songs and calls represented give a wide range of the common sounds you will hear. Alarm, breeding , and colony calls are all included (for species to which they all apply). It also does such a fantastic job of showing some less common calls that you may have never known belonged to a certain bird! After only owning it five days, it has already proved useful on several occasions and answered questions about bird calls that I've had for years. The text gives clear explanations of what the calls are used for and the circumstances in which they were recorded. The CD version is convenient for quick location and is organized for ease of use. We highly recommend it! The sound quality is terrific!

5.0 out of 5 stars The must have CD set for birders!!, March 20 2001
Since I've owned this set I have listened to it at least 100 times!
This incredible CD set and accompanying pamphlet are simple and easy to use. Each bird is identified prior to playing the song. Most birds have several songs played, either multiple birds singing the same song, or different types of songs that a particular bird uses.
For example the Blue Jay features typical calls, immitation of Hawks, etc.
If you are a birder then you simply must have this CD set!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, June 1 1999
By A Customer
This 3-CD song guide is beyond perfect. Not only does it cover ALL the common songs, it contains specific information and sound on specific calls such as calls from the nest by females, migration calls, flight calls/sounds, aggressive calls, interaction calls, begging calls, and alternate song types, etc., etc....it is truly amazing. Having the CD-version allows instant access to any species in the collection. The best part is I got my order (this CD and another) in two business days, even with the holiday in the middle! I recommend it highly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide Range of Species w/ Excellent Recording, Jan. 19 2002
Lang Elliott dusts off his very thorough bird song library and packages it under the (apprently more popular) "Stokes" brand name in this decent CD. There are 99 species here grouped as follows:
Disk 1 - Seabirds; Heron-like Birds; Swans, Geese, Ducks; Hawklike Birds; Chickenlike Birds; Marsh Birds; Shore BIrds; Gull-like Birds
Disk 2 - Pigeonlike Birds; Owls + other Nocturnal Birds; Swifts,Hummingbirds; Woodpeckers; Flycatchers; Shrikes, Vireos; Jays, Crows; Larks, Swallows; Chickadees, Nuthatches, Wrens; Thrushes, Mimics
Disk 3 - SWarblers; Tanagers, Grossbeaks, Buntings; Sparrows; Blackbirds, Orioles; Finches
The accompanying booklet provides a very brief description of each bird's calls. I think its a very good overview of alot of different bird calls. I prefer Lang Elliot's "Know Your Bird Sounds Vol. I & II" (which are hard to find). While only covering 35 species each, "Know Your Birds" gives around 3-5 different types of calls apiece which certainly increases one's chances of recognizing the birds in their element.
For an all around intro to birds, I recommend "Common Birds and their Songs".

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the intermediate birder, Nov. 21 2003
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I first received this as a gift when I was a beginning birder (basically from the backyard) and to be honest - at that point it was too much for me. I just got confused because actually listening to birds and all their different types of songs/calls and then trying to figure out which bird on the cd it might have been was tough (I'd forget what the bird sounded like and it'd leave before I found it on the cd). But that was me as a beginner. Now that I have a few bird songs under my belt and I can tell the difference between a woodpecker and a nuthatch without a second thought (yea, I was a real beginner) this cd is of better use. Now I can use it to hone in on birds that I think the song might be rather than having to go through so many because it was all so new. So, bottom line, I think its an excellent set of cds that you can really learn from but its better for someone who has thew basics down rather than someone who is the blank slate just starting to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relive Hitchcock., May 18 2001
A fellow birder brought Stoke's discs on a bird walk early one refreshing May morn' along with a small CD player. I admit I felt uneasy. This was a chance to get away from technology, not be weighed down by it. But yee' have little faith.
Within a few foot falls we heard what our guide identified as a common yellow throat warbler off in the bush. It seemed this bird was teasing us, saying, "i'm out here but you'll never see me, ha, ha, ha". My friend frantically fumbled with the discs and clicked the >> button 39 times as he counted out loud. Guess he didn't see the little number on the display. To our surprise, as the sound sample played, and we all nodded in agreement "uh-huh, yep, that's it", the warbler hastily arrived on the scene, mad as friggin' hell. He popped all around us from tree to tree as we excitedly looked through our binocs in what birdwatchers often lie about at conventions. Apparently, the bird wholeheartedly endorses the CD. In fact, lucky for us we weren't in Bodega Bay with a couple of fish crows and a script from Alfred Hitchcock.
The best part was we all got a great close up view of this striking warbler! Samples also worked with an oven bird, house wren, and blue-winged warbler. But don't take my word for it, 4 out 5 birds recommend Stoke's to all the birdwatch challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real "TWEET" for any BIRDWATCHER!!!!!, April 22 1997
By A Customer
This is a reference to real "CROW" about for learning and listening to the Bird Songs of the Eastern U.S. Each CD track has 1-2 different bird's calls and songs making them easy to find. The accompanying guide also helps with written descriptions of what to listen for. It also references the page numbers in the Stokes' Field Guide to help describe each bird, its range and habits. It has been a "HOOT" to listen to for over 3 hours (on 3 CDs) and has kept me humming like a bird. I have already been able to identify some birds through their songs because of it. What a true "tweet"!!! Its a fantastic value at a "cheep" price that will drive you "cuckoo" if you let it "swift"-ly fly by. Thank You for a "RAVEN" success, Lang Elliott along with Donald and Lillian Stokes

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginning birders, May 29 2002
By A Customer
I bought this collection to replace a set of Aubudon tapes that I'd lost a few years ago, and have found that I much preferred my old tapes to this collection. While the Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs is very comprehensive and has great depth and variety, I am unable to use it to identify a couple of fairly common bird songs I hear in my back yard. With only the bird name and no other description provided on the cds, all of the songs and calls start to run together. What I particularly liked about my previous tapes was the additional song and habitat descriptions provided around the calls. The Stokes companion booklet provides some of this information, but my purpose in purchasing an audio guide was to listen, not to read. For an experienced birder or someone who knows what they are listening for in the field, this will probably be a helpful guide. For someone just starting out, a collection of fewer songs and more description would be a better bet.

4.0 out of 5 stars great bird info!, May 21 2000
Crawford A. Wilson III (Durham, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
It would be better if the (CD) guide came with more than just sounds. If there were accompanying photos it would be THAT much better. I got it for my mother and took a copy for myself. It can be taken in the field in a CD walkman. it is a great guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous for all who want to learn birdsongs & calls, July 20 1998
By A Customer
I've been looking for this audio cassette for quite a while and when I purchased the Stokes Field Guide: Audio Cassette Version, I was not disappointed. It is wonderful!! to say the least. If you are interested in hearing the various calls and songs of Eastern Birds then get this..... Also get the reference book Stokes Field Guide to Eastern Birds for pictures and detailed descriptions, you will not be disappointed and your birdwatching experiences and adventures will be greatly enhanced.

Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs: Eastern Region (3 CDs)
Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs: Eastern Region (3 CDs) by Lang Elliot (Audio CD - April 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 28.41