march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 10, 2015
Pema is a master. She is funny, honest and to the point. The way she writes makes you stop and think, in new ways. Highly recommend it for those on a spiritual path who may feel they are standing on sandy foundations and need short reminders/teachings to help them along the way.
on November 2, 2015
I bought this book in my third trimester of pregnancy, right about when I began "freaking out" about things.
Pema Chodron's teachings are in line with my personal beliefs, and this particular book has arrived at just the right time.
Reading her words puts things into perspective and helps me slow my busy monkey mind.
I feel this is excellent prep for motherhood, but it would be a great book for anyone seeking to learn more on the path of mindfulness.
on September 13, 2002
Pema Chodron is a Buddhist teacher in the lineage of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, her teacher. In her previous book, THE PLACES THAT SCARE YOU (2001), she wrote that compassionate "warriors-in-training need someone to guide them, a master warrior, a teacher, a spiritual friend, someone who knows the territory well and can help them find their way" (p. 113). For many of us, Chodron is that "someone."
COMFORTABLE WITH UNCERTAINTY is a compilation of 108 excerpts from Chodron's previous books that may be read as a collection of short, daily meditations for compassionate warriors-in-training. These teachings will stick with you, and they will resonate throughout the day. Readers expecting to find something new here may be disappointed. But for others, this book will offer an excellent introduction to Pema Chodron.
G. Merritt
on August 10, 2010
I have read this book once all through out. One teaching a day. It has opened my mind to see the things as they are. It has helped me to understand how it feels to be kind to yourself and to others feel like. Now I am reading this book for the second time. Everytime read, it seems that I understand what it is to live in the moment and enjoy every moment, to be gentle and loving whether things go your way or not. It opened my heart to living a life of simplicity while bringing joy to myself, through helping others.
This book will open you heart to live a joyful life regarless of the circumstances you are facing at the present moment.
on April 21, 2004
This older audio book is inspired by the Buddhist tradition of the 108-day retreat, and offers insight on how to act from an awakened heart and other traditional Buddhist principles. Also included are ideas about ways that people stay stuck by always seeking pleasure and avoiding pain, how they are always trying to create security zones, and other limiting beliefs. The soothing voice of Tami Simon helps to make this audio book a success. I ended up buying the book version after istening to the tapes.
on December 8, 2013
I read it every day and meditate on the words. It's an awesome book. I really believe the author in right on the mark.
on February 24, 2003
I write this review because I think the other reviews herein did not do justice to this exquiste gem of Buddhist teaching. Ms Chodorn is eloquent and articulate in her delivery of helpful insights into the human condition and gentle and simple in her understanding of what may restore balance. The book can be read piecemeal or from beginning to end. The glossary offers edification on Buddhist Sanskrit meanings, which I found helpful, since I am a beginner to Buddhism and not a student of Sanskrit. This book offers a path of healing and wholeness. To see it without this meaning is to miss the point. I have recommended it to many people, beginners and scholars of Buddhism alike. Without exception the book was well received. Buy the book -- forget the audiobook. This is one book you will want to hold and leaf through the pages. I would give it much more than a five star rating were it possible.
on January 24, 2016