5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Italian Vegan Cookbook Ever!!!!!!!, Nov. 30 2002
Muddy "Muddy" (cambridge, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine (Paperback)
Bryanna has created the absolute best cookbook ever! My friend originally bought this and when she told me I should get it, I remarked "why would I need an Italian cookbook, I know how to cook vegan Italian!" I was then treated to several meals at my friend's apt. where she used Nonna's Italian Kitchen and was I wowed!!! I couldn't believe how delicious these recipes are and how satisfying - much better than anything I've ever had as a non-vegan! Now every year for my birhday, my friend knows what I want for my birthday meal from her- the lasagna al forno Bolognese on page 113 - to die for (or to live for really!). Buy this book - all my non-vegan friends love the dishes and can't believe it's not dairy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, especially if not everyone in your family is veg*, Jan. 3 2002
I am Italian, I love cooking and I love eating, and I am also a vegetarian tending to vegan, and that's why I got this book.
This book contains many favorites of Italian cooking, in vegan version. So where meat is called for in the original dish it's replaced by seitan or similar vegan meat substitute; same with cheese and other animal products.
It's very useful if you are vegan but not everyone in your family is, as you can cook the same dish in two version, like I often make hunter's chicken for my husband and a hunter's seitan (or other meat substitute) for my daughter and myself.
The reason why I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is that the book is not always precise in its descriptions of original dishes and many of the Italian names are mispelled, sometimes badly; from these two aspects it looks like the Mrs. Clark-Grogan didn't do an accurate research, but instead relayed on her relatives to give her the correct information. But overall, the book is a great buy, and I wouls suggest it to any vegan and to anyone who wants to eat good but also healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any vegan kitchen, Aug. 14 2001
A. Thompson (Vaucluse, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
I took a while to cotton on to the joys of this book. I don't know why, but I had it for several months before I realised what a gem it is. I think it's the excellent background info she gives, the way she doesn't talk down to you, and the handy hints that aren't confined to veganism, eg "many cooks like to drain the pasta over the serving bowl to warm it". Now all you clever cooks out there may say "doh!", but I'd never thought of that before. Oh, and the whole fresh pasta section is just spot-on. Besides giving a truly terrific recipe for egg-free fresh pasta, she has some indispensable hints on the type of pasta machine to buy and how to look after it. I too can't wait for her vegan Chinese book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, April 21 2013
I was happy with the speed of delivery of this order, and it arrived in the condition it was described. I have not made anything as of yet, so I cannot comment on the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, July 23 2002
By A Customer
As an Italian who grew up in a meat eating household, I was looking for tasty Italian meals that are not meat centered. This book is excellent and the recipes I have made are very flavorful. My meat eating husband likes everything I have made from this book. I am not actually a vegan, but limit my dairy and have had great results with this book. Also, I love the multiple details and explantations she give about Italian history and food.
One note though, many of the recipes are involved so if you don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, this may not be the book for you. Also, I am not into meat analogs, so I have avoided this chapter. But, other than that I think this cookbook is excellent for anyone looking to prepare healthy veg. Italian meals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryanna is brilliant!, April 4 2004
By A Customer
Once again, Bryanna has written a book that inspires everyone to eat well - by "well" I mean both healthfully and with gusto. Fantastic vegan fare.

5.0 out of 5 stars vegi delight, March 16 2002
By A Customer
I was happy to find a vegan book that has so many varieties for vegan cooking. The author gives a lot of suggestions of trying the same recipe. She shows you how to make your own meat (imitation) with great flavor. I can't wait to try them. Even if you don't know where to buy the ingredients for your recipe, she tells you where you can get them. Now I am not afraid to tread in this new area of cooking for me.
I would have liked to see the pictures for most of these recipes. There are no pictures in the book, but what it lacks in photographs, it more than makes up for with great recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best cookery book I own!, Nov. 25 2001
Maureen Cram (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the book to buy for all your vegan and vegetarian friends and family members. It is easy to read and to use... has great recipes and handy hints in a novel layout - and the best part of all is that everything tastes delicious! Some vegan recipes might be healthy but they are not always as tasty as the 'original' Not so with this book! Bryanna's book is filled with recipes ranging from basic cooking instructions to exotic desserts... all yummy and all relatively easy to make.
As an added bonus, Bryanna gives lists of mail order resources for sometimes hard to find items - this is especially valuable if you are like me and live in a rural area without easy access to health stores.
If you buy just one recipe book this Christmas season, this is the one to get! If I could give it six stars I would!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like being on vacation in Tuscany!, July 20 2001
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book with a nice combination of quick and other more involved recipes. I love Grogen's side notes on the recipes and her comments in the beginning of the book. The recipes are divided up into courses of an authentic Italian meal, so it's easy to plan a full menu, or just a single dish. These dishes would appeal to anyone, vegan or not. These are good, wholesome meals. Grogan mentioned in the introduction that Italian was her favorite cuisine with Chinese and Indian running a close second. Maybe she could be convinced to write a Chinese Vegan cookbook next?

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!, June 2 2001
I have been looking so long for decent "cheese" fillings for pasta, and I've found it here. She gives tasty alternatives to soy in many of her recepies, which I appreciate, because being vegan doesn't necessarily mean that you like Tofu.

ARRAY(0xb5f1acfc)

Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine
Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine by Bryanna Clark Grogan (Paperback - Feb. 28 2003)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68