5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic for the vegan athlete
This book is great for anyone considering veganism but especially if you are (or want to become) a vegan athlete. (I do triathlons)
There is a chapter that goes over special considerations for vegan athletes and also gives a great overview of sports nutrition in general.
I was a little nervous giving up all animal products thinking there would be some...
Published on Feb. 16 2004 by Roman A Milner

2.0 out of 5 stars Newbie Vegan
I knew giving up animal products was the right thing to do, but after reading "Becoming Vegan," I got the impression that it would have to be a long, gradual process, as (according to page v of the book) one of the co-authors is not yet vegan herself.

If you're looking for the motivation to become vegan, I urge you to listen to Bruce Friedrich's...
Published on Nov. 15 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful guide, March 5 2014
This review is from: Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting A Healthy Plant-Based Diet (Paperback)
I am at this time a Vegan, with the help of this book, very clearly written advice, it opens the door, and it is up to you as to if you walk through it, I did. If any one is looking for a better way if eating, I suggest getting this book. before you start, Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with information!, May 31 2013
Though I have just started using this book, I see it is absolutely packed with all you need to know about becoming vegan. It is very thorough and well organized. Greatly appreciated for a beginning vegan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, March 4 2013
I have not been able to find another book quite as detailed and easily understandable.
This book is great for anyone wanting to become a Vegan it has detailed explanations and charts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The nuts and bolts of the Vegan diet!, April 11 2002
By A Customer
I am not a vegan, but am interested in the diet. I may give it a go, at least to see what it is like, after reading this book and seeing how straightforward and non-exotic it really is! I don't think I will ever be interested in the political aspects of Veganism, so the general lack of political tone was welcome in this helpful book, which did a lot ot make it straightforward and non-intimidating! (If you want more history/political background, there are a number of excellent books out there you should read in addition to this one.)
The book is long on the nuts and bolts of veganism -- benefits and pitfalls, how to plan a varied, good tasting, healthy menu, how to get the vitamins and minerals that are more difficult to get on a plant-based diet, etc. It does not get on a soapbox, nor does it try to proselytize -- I suppose the assumption is that the reader is open minded simply by the fact that he or she is reading it. Either way, it gives straightforward, no-nonsense advice on how to do it and be healthy while doing so!
One nice touch is a section towards the back called "Vegan Diplomacy" -- which has tactics of how to deal with non-vegans, especially those whose minds are a bit more closed to this kind of thing, and how to maintain good relations with a meat eating world!
This book is a "must have" if one is contemplating going Vegan or interested in the diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars High-level nutrition information for everyone, Aug. 11 2002
SierraC "Celestial" (Sierra Nevada Mtns, California United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent nutrition information for everyone, whether vegan, vegetarian or omnivore. My sister recommended this book because she is attempting to design a healthful diet for herself that is also respectful of all living things. I bought and read the book (and continue to use it as a reference work) because I want to know as much as I can about nutrition. Even though I am not in the process of "becoming vegan," I am not at all disappointed in my purchase. The authors rely upon scientific studies in drawing their conclusions and making recommendations. Their chapter, "Big Fat Lies," provides one of the most enlightening summaries of essential information about fat in the diet currently available to the general public. Truthfully, all eaters should read Becoming Vegan and analyze and modify their diets accordingly. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan or not, a must!, Dec 11 2002
I'm a 22 years old vegetarian boy who's trying to get into veganism, but it's quite hard due to my country of residence (Spain.)
In this book it's not only clear why anyone should become vegan but also is very informative and clear for people learning about nutrition.
A++ for the Author and all the contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you'll need, Dec 9 2002
By A Customer
Everything is listed in this book. This is the only book on Veganism that you'll need. It covers all nutritional aspects, all the vitamins you will need, how to eat properly and even some recipies.
If you are new to the diet, than this will help you be succesfull in the change and most importantly, wont leave you deficient of nutrients.
There is information for people of all ages who want to or have to become Vegan.
This book will be your Vegan bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Vegans!, Nov. 9 2002
Paul (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
It is almost unfortunate that this book has the title it does, because it clearly presents such a wealth of information on nutrition that anyone - including meat eaters - who are interested in a healthy diet will find lots of information here to help them. There is no missionary style here to convert anyone to a meatless diet - just very well presented facts from people who know what they're talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative read, Aug. 6 2002
Doug Duea (Woodbury, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very informative and helpful towards adopting a vegan diet. It explores the most common questions that prospective and neo-vegans might have, such as "How do I get B12?" "Are vegan diets safe and adequate?" and "How do I get enough calcium?".
Aside from these basic questions, the authors delve into the depths of vegan nutrition, using the latest scientific research to debunk some of the commonly held myths. There's information on protein, minerals, fats, carbohydrates, and the latest news on the benefits of phytochemicals. This may sound daunting, but the book is informative without being boring. (I read it in one day!)
The authors cite numerous studies across the world that compare vegans to ovo-lacto vegetarians and nonvegetarians. They do this for each section that they discuss. Even when there were some areas where vegans might fall a little short, the authors gave the information in straight terms, without bias.
Finally, I liked that after the general nutritional information, there were chapters on the new vegan food pyramid, vegan athletes, vegan infants, vegan children, vegan adolescents, vegan 50+, weight issues (both over- and under-), eating disorders, and vegan diplomacy.
I would recommend this book to ANYONE who is adopting a vegan diet or is even considering adopting one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Vegans or Potential Vegans, Oct. 22 2001
"kalisti23" (Mendocino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a Vegan for the last three years, and I still found this book an incredible resource. The language on dietary considerations is very down-to-earth and easy to understand, while getting all the facts across.
I gave copies of this book to some friends who were looking at making the very difficult (for most of us) shift from being a vegetarian to being a vegan, and it helped aleive many of their doubts.
It's scary changing our diets, and there are certainly dangers in making the change over to a animal productless diet; these dangers are clearly articulated in this book, and suggestions are given at how to best compensate for the lack of certain key items (such as the infamous Omega fatty-acids).
The most interesting parts to me were the age specific parts. When my child is born, I will want to raise him or her as a vegan, but I would never jeopardize their health; this book gave me a newfound hope, and some very important bits of advice.

Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting A Healthy Plant-Based Diet
Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting A Healthy Plant-Based Diet by Vesanto Melina MS RD (Paperback - Sept. 2 2004)
CDN$ 23.95 CDN$ 17.48
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available