summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on December 5, 2000
To anyone who has or is planning on reading this book, consider this. This book has alot of words which feel good and can make anyone's guilty conscience ease in thinking that "your own will is god's own will." (quoted from Walsch's books) If you will it, then God wills it because he loves you and wants you to live in freedom, right? Will is a precurser to action. If there is no such this an a 'right' or 'wrong' will, then in essence there is really no such thing as a 'right' or 'wrong' action. If someone else's actions hurt you, you feel that action is wrong. But the person who hurt you certainly had his feelings for acting that way, right? It was his will, therefore he was justified and right and god's right there to back him up. The victim is suffering. Where is his god when he needs him? Was the victim correct in believing the action wrong? Was the perpetrator correct in believing his action was right? In this book, god says that WE have the authority to decide what is right or wrong. The action is both right and wrong, right? Wrong.
This is when you may want to take a look at the Bible. The Bible portrays God as a loving yet HOLY God. Holy is defined as exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness. He loves us but sees a REAL AND DISTINCT right and wrong as clear as day where sometimes it appears to be a tangled mass to our limited senses. He created us and gave us a conscience which can in most cases discern a right and wrong in a situation. He gave us a free will which allows us to then choose that right or wrong. Are we always going to do the right thing? No, and He knows that. When we do wrong thing, it is unhealthy at best to believe that doing wrong is the right thing to do because we desire it. We're NOT God. We do wrong all the time and God simply wants us to acknowledge this. He wants us to exercise our FREEWILL to do right according to our conscience and what's told in His book. But he knows that even still we will do wrong when attempting in good faith to do right. And that is why in a generous act of sacrificing Love He sent His Son Jesus Christ to SHOW us the way, sacrifice Himself on the cross for our wrongs, and be there still today to forgive our wrongs when we believe in Him and in the truely amazing thing He did for us. It's a beautiful thing!
I urge you to believe that the Holy Bible is not a lie and Jesus Christ simply did the things the book said He did and is the person He claimed to be. 11 disciples took everthing they said and wrote to their grave and never recanted even after much persecution. Wow!
I've been a believer in Christ for less than a year and He's worked wonders in my life. I would have been a fan of these books if God had not put me on His path.
In case you're wondering, I gave this book 2 stars because it has reinforced my faith in Christ by giving a glaring example of what God is not.
If you've read through all of this, thank you. I encourage you to write me. God bless!
on December 6, 1999
CWG II strikes more as a fictional account than one of truth. To declare a book as partially written by God is not necessarily a heretical event, but more of one that requires serious soul-searching in order to ensure that one is not misleading others through delusions of grandeur.
Mr Walsch would come across as more sincere in his book if there were less rehashing of CWG I's contents and less marketing involved.
This book raises some serious issues pertaining to life, yet the "answers" given by "God" do not seem genuine in their essence. The book preaches that Hitler went to heaven, death is a good thing. It says, "Hitler didn't hurt anyone...he didn't inflict suffering...he ended it." While it is true that death need not necessarily be a bad thing, I invite the discerning reader to reflect on the implied statement that murder is acceptable because it ends suffering. This seems like an extremely twisted version of morality. If that were the case, why then do we not begin to engage in an orgy of violence and murder?
The book reads as if it is a written form of feel-good therapy. It promotes openness in sexuality, but takes this to extremes and appears to advocate not only free and public sex by explaining it as a release of one's inhibitions, but even tells us that more highly-evolved beings engage in sex in front of their children.
Mr Walsch has created a work of fiction that is very interesting to read, not so much for its uplifting worth (of which I can find little evidence, except in parts pertaining to pure love) but for its twisted version of God.
The book contains some semblance of truth, yet these truths have been revealed to us in the past, in psychology books, in inspirational material. The only really new information the reader receives begs for a lot of discernment on the reader's part, as it would strike as being a little offensive as well as immoral.
While others condemn the trilogy as heresy and blasphemy, personally, I will only go so far as to say that it is sad to think that the world is so desperate for some form of spiritual help that it is ready to accept everything Mr Walsch teaches through his "God" as the truth.
This book is a recommended read for those who wish to challenge their ideas, as a testing ground of faith. Reading it, one must constantly pause and review what is being said, to decide for one's self if it is true or false. Mostly, I came up with "false".
CWG II is not recommended, however, for the reader who seeks to have a greater understanding of God in itself. The reader must tread with caution on the grounds of the book, for it is flimsy and fails to hold its truths up when placed under a magnifying glass.
on July 3, 1999
GIST: Seeker questions God. God answers. HAMMOCK-TIME: Takes a long lazy weekend in your hammock or beach chair to finish. STYLE: Fast-paced. SKIMMING QUOTIENT: Temptation to skim, high. The material is often unnecessarily repetitive. QUIBBLES: I don't know how anyone, Walsch's editor or readers, could approach this book, the trilogy in fact, and not see eventually that this is the terse, at times, murky, subconscious of the author, Walsch, at work. No where is this more apparent than in the discussions of politics, and world affairs throughout the trilogy -- for example, God's explicit high opinions of Bill Clinton's mission and motives are embarrassing to read, in light of 1998, when the Lewinsky scandal and allegations of misuse of campaign-fund/nuclear secrets unfolded. Walsch has a protective, clever subconscious: God helps Walsch paint himself out of a corner, at several turns, by alerting Walsch he may be filtering, colouring, God's actual opinions and meanings.
BROWNIE POINTS: I like Walsch -- sincere, vulnerable, warmhearted, deluded Walsch. It's easy to get concerned over him: He seems too eager to embrace, and be embraced by a good ole guru network of a few famous superficial New Age/New Thought teachers. He needs to be careful. The freshness has long gone from most New Age books, more now a swamp of jaded ideas, imagery, anecdotes. It was sad to see the progression from a basically inquisitive seeker that Walsch was in CWG 1 to the more aggressive, sometimes cocky messenger he now feels himself to be. I don't understand why his initial publisher or a writer-friend didn't sit him down and tell him, offer it as fiction and let there be some mystery to it; let readers play with the idea that this possibly could be divine intervention. In all, it's intriguing to wonder what some New Age type author will come with next -- Gidget goes to the Ganges? SUGGESTED SUBSTITUTES: After the adventure above, I intensely needed something down-to-earth, quiet, sensitive, such as a new book on the need for sacred rest, entitled, Sabbath, by Wayne Muller. Also, if you're still intrigued by New Age authors, I've noticed that Shakti Gawain still has a level head on her shoulders; she gives honest, perceptive analyses of the traps both Eastern and Western pathways produce.
on March 5, 1999
What a farce! The author had me going in the first two books - thinking it MIGHT be possible that God had something to do with this book. But, this third one made it clear that the author was quite creative in his approach. What he has done is bring us much of Wayne Dyer's and others' thoughts and claimed God spoke them to him. His agreement with God supposedly called for three books - but, he's getting greedy. On page 243, he has "a wonderful idea!" to "make a little booklet of [his] Marriage Statements." He was so pleased that God told him to include the wedding vows he and his wife wrote. Now, he's giving marriage advice - someone who has apparently been married at least 3 times! Giving marriage advice?
On page 241, the author asks "Do You know what I wish?" God's reply: "No. What?" God didn't know? The all knowing, all seeing God didn't know? Come on now.
The book is also anti-Catholic which offends me. (see page 127 - "One Church even insisted that God would punish you if you did not go to church every Sunday." and page 128 ("it [the early church] denounced the doctrine of reincarnation as heretical. Then it created the sacrament of confession.")
His books so far have probably made this author quite wealthy. And, he's capitalizing on it with his foundation. Well, he won't get any more of my money.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And to think, I actually asked for this third book.
on January 13, 1999
I was initially quite interested in the first two books of Walsch's series but after forcing myself to read half way through this book I am now convinced he is motivated by profit. His ideas are quite profound and I must say he makes some great points in very important areas. He points out the fact there there are two previous books so many times in his conversation that he is obviously trying to get readers to buy them all. If these books are so good you would want to buy them all and he wouldn't need to advertise that there are other books on the way or already written. I couldn't read past the point where he started talking about the seven chakra levels and so much other drug induced ideas. He even tells the reader at the beginning of this book that these are GOD's ideas being screened through him so that we shouldn't take everything he says literally. Please don't take these book seriously but there are some good points to take home.
on November 4, 2001
Compared to Book 1, this was a bit of a disappointment. As with the first, it contains a good deal of wisdom, but this one appears to be more of a personal political commentary than a source of divine inspiration.
Most of the text lays out a plan for a stable world government. This comes across as overly simplistic, as wishful thinking. It offers a very human concept of utopia, not a divine plan. It covers the superficial requirements for world peace, but does not offer any substantial spiritual instruction to get us there.
I think there may be some level of divine inspiration behind this book, but it appears that a good deal of it was filtered through Mr. Walsch's personal opinions and limited perspective.
on April 6, 2002
I couldn't relate to this book. If God were talking & wanted the 'world' to read his book ..he'd have given examples that touched a chord with all humans.Seems to me that he speaks Enlish, follows american politics ...and just about everything else falls in to 'eastern theory' or 'eastern mystics'..he should know theres no east ..theres India, theres China, theres Japan..they all have their distinct philosophies.
I am pretty certain if God were talking I'd be able to relate to him...Unless of course God wrote this book for Americans...maybe theres book 6 or 7 for the rest of us.
on June 15, 1999
I was going along with this book until the author claimed that God endorces communism as the most evolved form or government. Then he tells us that the most highly evolved beings in the universe go about naked spurning technology in favor of a simple tribal life. Jesus Christ spacemen? New Age nonsense. Free enterpise has proven to be the best way to distribute good and services. History teaches as much. The author needs to take Economics 101.
on February 5, 2000
I bought and read Book 1, and thought it an excellent, provoking book. I could be convinced that the author may genuinely be in contact with God. As an Agnostic, I like these kind of books. However, book 2, although interesting, put me off, because of the constant references to America, what a great place it is, etc. After all, everybody knows that God is English!
on December 27, 1997
I was taking a look at Conversations with God: Book 2, and it seemed like a wonderful sequel to Book 1...until I hit upon Chapter 6. God puts men down blatantly in this chapter like you wouldn't believe. Sorry, but the God that I love treats both sexes as equals. My God loves _all_ creation, not just half of it.