5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend
Published on Oct. 12 2003 by Pete Sutliff

2.0 out of 5 stars Caused more pain
The good: The exercises are categorized and easy to understand. The exercises probably are effective for most people.
The bad: Following the exercises precisely for three weeks, I felt much more numbness and weakness. For some, these stretches may actually exacerbate the problem.
Beware, and begin slowly. If you are one who finds benefit, then gradually...
Published on Nov. 12 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend, Oct. 12 2003
This review is from: Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries: A Self-Care Program (Paperback)
As a chiropractor, I can, and frequently do, heartily recommend this brilliant book to people with all kinds of aches and pains so that they can heal themselves. One of the most striking things about this book is it's simple design that makes it very easy to use. Within 15 minutes of picking up this book you can understand what a "stretch point" is (don't skip that part) and begin doing stretches geared specifically to your symptoms. What a great contribution Sharon Butler has made to healthcare!
Pete Sutliff, D.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life and kept me working, May 28 2011
Monique M. (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Several years ago I developed excruciating RSIs in both of my forearms, which then traveled up into my upper arms and shoulders as the muscles attempted to compensate for my condition. I ended up having to abruptly leave my job and go on unemployment insurance while I tried to figure out how to deal with the burning pain, occasional loss of sensation, stiffness, inflammation and my newfound inability to use computers. The next several months of rest had almost no effect or benefit on my RSIs. I thought I would never heal, and wondered what kind of work I would have to find that didn't involve computer use.

Months later, I was working in a crappy job where I didn't have to type too much. I had been getting Active Release Technique (ART) for a while, which seemed to be helping. However, while the treatments were making things better, they hadn't really given me the outcome I was looking for, and the relief didn't last. When I found Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Self-Care Program in the local library, I had found the other piece of the puzzle. A combination of ART treatments 2-3 times a week from my chiropractor and the stretches from this book have restored the life to my forearms!

My favourite stretches in particular are those on pages 96-100 -- I would spend about 20-30 minutes before bed on these stretches alone, and the relief was incredible (plus I'd usually peacefully fall asleep near the end of my stretching). I would do most of the other stretches intermittently throughout the day, or whenever I had the opportunity. That seems like a lot of time spent stretching, but recovering the use of my arms was a fair trade. Not to mention that I now have an amazing job and can handle the necessary computer work, because my arms are infinitely improved. I am not sure if they will ever be as good as new, but I can forget that I have RSIs most of the time (except for when I stop stretching).

It is so very important to follow the author's advice about respecting the "stretch point" (see page 13). Whenever I got impatient and didn't take my stretching slowly and gently, I would either get no relief, or worse, would experience a setback. When stretching, I would literally stop the very moment I felt the slightest twinge in my muscles, hold it, and only move on an increment further when that stretched feeling left (i.e. the stretch point would release).

In summary: the healing that this book has brought me is incredible, and all MDs, DCs, RMTs and PTs should hand out a prescription for this book when RSI sufferers come to them. NSAIDs and sitting around not using my arms didn't do a thing for me. I no longer need ART treatments -- I just keep this book close.

Another great resource is It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!: RSI Theory and Therapy for Computer Professionals, which was also very valuable and helped me realize I didn't need surgery or some other costly intervention. I also think that RSI sufferers would benefit from Esther Gokhale's 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot, because it addresses some of the postural issues that can contribute to RSIs in the upper body and arms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Release the Pain, Nov. 12 2010
This book was written by a massage therapist who no doubt has had a lot of experience dealing with repetitive strain injuries such as carpal tunnel. A key idea of the book is that tight tissues, particularly the fascia, are responsible for your pain and symptoms. The cure then, is to stretch them out and get things back to normal. The book intends to accomplish this goal by taking you through a series of stretches for your particular symptomatic area.

A major strength of this book is its sheer ease of using- in other words, its laid out extremely well. The stretching technique is very well explained and the bulk of the book consists of pictures of stretches that you can do for your troubled areas. Additionally, I like the fact that the author discusses the topic of your posture- which is very important because it could be contributing to your problem AND correcting it will help keep you out of trouble!

All-in-all a great resource for people suffering from repetitive strain injuries- and not just for the infamous carpal tunnel- I could see this book being of good use for a lot of other aches and pains as well. Also recommend Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow for those looking for a good resource on that particular condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Jan. 14 2002
Fauzia Aref (Castro Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Fellow RSI and Carpal Tunnel sufferers, here's some relief!
I have tried almost all the exercises in this book. Thank you Sharon Butler - you've made my life a little less painful!
There are a few exercises in this book that gave me instant relief which I found pleasantly surprising. I have been to an orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist for a year now. None of them have given me the quick relief I got from doing some of these exercises. There is one exercise in which you pinch the skin between the thumb and fore finger in a certain way. That exercise greatly reduce the pain in the palm and my thumb. Also some of the exercises for fore arm pain reduced my pain considerably.
This book gives you a better understanding about why stretching helps and what is happening internally to the fascia.
There are details of symptoms and what exercises to do to alleviate those particular symptoms along with diagrams. I bought this book along with "Reptitive strain injury" by Emil Pascarelli. Both the books compliment each other pretty well.
I now have a pretty good picture of what is happening when you have carpal tunnel or/and RSI and how you can get some relief.
My suggestion: Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great relief for me, April 28 2003
After 3 years of suffering RSI from working at a PC, I was desperate, and had tried regular medicine, and even acupuncture (this last, I'm still on, and it works) but the best relief I have found was from the series of exercises found on this book. From upper-body to hand-fingers, this book (Comprised of mostly full-page illustrations) helps you relieve the symptons of your RSI. I can't say I don't have any pain anymore, but I can say it has greatly reduced, and improving.
There is little text in this book, dealing mostly with how you should do the repetitions and how to avoid further injury, then it is right ot the action with the diagrams and instructions for every exercise.
If you have an RSI try this book, and also check for your posture while working, seating, and standing. I have a great non-commercial link about this for you, write me if you want it.
Health and peace to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for only 10 minutes a day!, Jan. 29 2003
Richard C. Jensen (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This book works pretty good. I still get some occasional pain in my wrists and elbows, after a long day (and evening) at the computer, but the exercises help about 80-90%. You don't have to do all of the exercises in the book; I do 10 of them, and those ten take up 7 minutes daily. Not a big price to pay for avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome! There are other things you can do to prevent or reduce CTS, like taking a B-complex vitamin supplement daily. I take 25 mg a day; 50 mg is also fine. Don't buy the extended-release forms---they can cause liver damage. Taking vitamin B6 alone may also help, but don't take more than 100 mg/day for extended periods, because you could wind up with even more nerve damage than before. For a detailed list of nutritional supplements and their potential side effects, the book The Failures of American Medicine is a good reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this book!, April 11 2004
If you have an RSI, get this book. (Also, I just found out that Sharon Butler has a web site: [...] I'm definitely going to check it out.)
This book presents information on RSIs not found elsewhere. It begins with a concise but thorough discussion of the role of fascia in the development of RSIs. From my personal experience with over a dozen MDs, many doctors, even hand specialists, don't understand the role of fascia in these injuries. As a result, despite their good intentions, they can't effectively help many RSI sufferers. Neither can many well-intentioned physical therapists.
Also, never before had I heard of the concept of the "stretch point," which is the secret of success for this program. I suspect that people who don't get results with this program have not applied this concept but are stretching too hard and fast, only worsening their symptoms.
Besides helping you figure out which stretches to do for your symptoms, there's a "Prevention by Profession" section that lists various professions and the suggested stretches to do for them. It's not just computer users who get these injuries!
If I was able to recover from my disabling RSI, so can you. Good luck with your recovery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, and not just for carpal tunnel syndrome!, Aug. 18 2000
By A Customer
I have had a number of typing-related problems, including muscular overuse syndrome, tendonitis, and various nerve impingements. I checked this book out of the library one night and found the stretch where you lie on your back and gently open your hand and bend your wrist backwards. I tried it, and I felt 70% better IMMEDIATELY. By now, with the help of strengthening exercises too, I have recovered enough to return to work. I can even be a little irresponsible (though I can't recommend this to others) and overdo it until my arms get painful and tight again, because I know that 5-20 minutes of Ms. Butler's stretches will fix me right up.
I also use her idea of the "stretch point" to stretch other sensitive parts of my body, like my legs and feet. (I'm a runner.)
If you could give a book 6 stars, I would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, April 3 1998
By A Customer
I wouldn't have bought this book if I had had a chance to look at it, since it uses words like "bodywork", which turn my stomach, and has a somewhat new-age-y tone which repels my mind. But as it turns out, I bought it sight unseen from Amazon, and thought I'd try it out. I had started experiencing RSI symptoms about a month earlier. One evening I picked up the Butler book and did a few of the exercises. The next morning I woke up without pain in my forearms for the first time in several weeks. I still have some symptoms which these exercsises have not (yet?) alleviated, but it's definitely alleviated some, and perhaps prevented others from getting worse. The exercises are easy and non-stressful (physically or mentally). Even I -- who ordinarily hate physical exercise of any kind -- enjoy them.END

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have carpel tunnel, buy this book!, Jan. 20 2003
I cannot suggest this book strongly enough. A year ago, I got mild carpel tunnel and severe tendonitis from teddy bear making and typing. I had tingling in the fingers of my left hand. After one day of doing these exercises, the tingling was gone. A year later it has now returned, so I am doing the exercises again and getting the same relief.
Also, I recommended this book to a friend with carpel tunnel. A month ago I asked her how she was doing and she said she was now fine. Any time she had some symptoms, she simply did the exercises and the symptoms went away.
This book deserves ten stars. The exercises are very easy, can be done at work or home, in bed or even in the car (some of them!) Definitely try them before you consider surgery or any drastic treatments.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›