Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

on September 14, 2015
Informative. I like how they have exercises/stretches for each profession.
on June 15, 2015
Best book on the market
on January 7, 2015
doing these exercises helped me to paint again and ride my bike once more... I recommend it to everyone...
on October 27, 2013
This book is enjoyable to read and incredibly helpful. The examples used to explain what is going on in the body are very clear and allow for a visual understanding. It is well organized and easy to use. It could be beneficial to everyone. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in taking care of their body and preventing injury.
on May 28, 2011
Several years ago I developed excruciating RSIs in both of my forearms, which then traveled up into my upper arms and shoulders as the muscles attempted to compensate for my condition. I ended up having to abruptly leave my job and go on unemployment insurance while I tried to figure out how to deal with the burning pain, occasional loss of sensation, stiffness, inflammation and my newfound inability to use computers. The next several months of rest had almost no effect or benefit on my RSIs. I thought I would never heal, and wondered what kind of work I would have to find that didn't involve computer use.

Months later, I was working in a crappy job where I didn't have to type too much. I had been getting Active Release Technique (ART) for a while, which seemed to be helping. However, while the treatments were making things better, they hadn't really given me the outcome I was looking for, and the relief didn't last. When I found Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Self-Care Program in the local library, I had found the other piece of the puzzle. A combination of ART treatments 2-3 times a week from my chiropractor and the stretches from this book have restored the life to my forearms!

My favourite stretches in particular are those on pages 96-100 -- I would spend about 20-30 minutes before bed on these stretches alone, and the relief was incredible (plus I'd usually peacefully fall asleep near the end of my stretching). I would do most of the other stretches intermittently throughout the day, or whenever I had the opportunity. That seems like a lot of time spent stretching, but recovering the use of my arms was a fair trade. Not to mention that I now have an amazing job and can handle the necessary computer work, because my arms are infinitely improved. I am not sure if they will ever be as good as new, but I can forget that I have RSIs most of the time (except for when I stop stretching).

It is so very important to follow the author's advice about respecting the "stretch point" (see page 13). Whenever I got impatient and didn't take my stretching slowly and gently, I would either get no relief, or worse, would experience a setback. When stretching, I would literally stop the very moment I felt the slightest twinge in my muscles, hold it, and only move on an increment further when that stretched feeling left (i.e. the stretch point would release).

In summary: the healing that this book has brought me is incredible, and all MDs, DCs, RMTs and PTs should hand out a prescription for this book when RSI sufferers come to them. NSAIDs and sitting around not using my arms didn't do a thing for me. I no longer need ART treatments -- I just keep this book close.

Another great resource is It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!: RSI Theory and Therapy for Computer Professionals, which was also very valuable and helped me realize I didn't need surgery or some other costly intervention. I also think that RSI sufferers would benefit from Esther Gokhale's 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot, because it addresses some of the postural issues that can contribute to RSIs in the upper body and arms.
on November 12, 2010
This book was written by a massage therapist who no doubt has had a lot of experience dealing with repetitive strain injuries such as carpal tunnel. A key idea of the book is that tight tissues, particularly the fascia, are responsible for your pain and symptoms. The cure then, is to stretch them out and get things back to normal. The book intends to accomplish this goal by taking you through a series of stretches for your particular symptomatic area.

A major strength of this book is its sheer ease of using- in other words, its laid out extremely well. The stretching technique is very well explained and the bulk of the book consists of pictures of stretches that you can do for your troubled areas. Additionally, I like the fact that the author discusses the topic of your posture- which is very important because it could be contributing to your problem AND correcting it will help keep you out of trouble!

All-in-all a great resource for people suffering from repetitive strain injuries- and not just for the infamous carpal tunnel- I could see this book being of good use for a lot of other aches and pains as well. Also recommend Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow for those looking for a good resource on that particular condition.
on April 11, 2004
If you have an RSI, get this book. (Also, I just found out that Sharon Butler has a web site: [...] I'm definitely going to check it out.)
This book presents information on RSIs not found elsewhere. It begins with a concise but thorough discussion of the role of fascia in the development of RSIs. From my personal experience with over a dozen MDs, many doctors, even hand specialists, don't understand the role of fascia in these injuries. As a result, despite their good intentions, they can't effectively help many RSI sufferers. Neither can many well-intentioned physical therapists.
Also, never before had I heard of the concept of the "stretch point," which is the secret of success for this program. I suspect that people who don't get results with this program have not applied this concept but are stretching too hard and fast, only worsening their symptoms.
Besides helping you figure out which stretches to do for your symptoms, there's a "Prevention by Profession" section that lists various professions and the suggested stretches to do for them. It's not just computer users who get these injuries!
If I was able to recover from my disabling RSI, so can you. Good luck with your recovery!
on November 12, 2003
The good: The exercises are categorized and easy to understand. The exercises probably are effective for most people.
The bad: Following the exercises precisely for three weeks, I felt much more numbness and weakness. For some, these stretches may actually exacerbate the problem.
Beware, and begin slowly. If you are one who finds benefit, then gradually increase the number of stretches and the time you spend stretching. If, however, your symptons increase, slow down or stop.
Good luck!
on October 12, 2003
As a chiropractor, I can, and frequently do, heartily recommend this brilliant book to people with all kinds of aches and pains so that they can heal themselves. One of the most striking things about this book is it's simple design that makes it very easy to use. Within 15 minutes of picking up this book you can understand what a "stretch point" is (don't skip that part) and begin doing stretches geared specifically to your symptoms. What a great contribution Sharon Butler has made to healthcare!
Pete Sutliff, D.C.
on June 10, 2003
Each of her exercises are easy to understand and really hit the spot. And the method of cross-indexing the troubled spot of your body to the correct stretching exercise makes it easy to find the right one for you.