5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Book for Fibromyalgia Sufferers!
Published on March 5 2002 by Sharon A. Hutchinson

2.0 out of 5 stars The Fibromyalgia Advocate
This book was ok but it had alot of info. on stuff I don't need. It also repeated itself ALOT! It wasn't what I thought it was going to be from the info given. I was very disappointed.
Published on July 6 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Book for Fibromyalgia Sufferers!, March 5 2002
This review is from: The Fibromyalgia Advocate: Getting the Support You Need to Cope with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome (Paperback)
I had borrowed this book from my local library, having heard that it is was extremely helpful to anyone suffering from Fibro. Not only were they right, but the book exceeded all my expectations! To see in words the symptoms I am suffering from, answers to questions about what is happening to my body and my mental state, page after page of suggestions on how to tell other people, from family to doctors about the disease, how you are feeling etc. etc.--it was a godsend. Just 2 weeks before, my left hip suddenly gave way while I was shopping; this had never happened before. Not five minutes into the book and suddenly there was the explanation as to why the hip can suddenly collapse. It may not cure me, but knowing the WHY of some of the aspects of this confusing illness helps my mental state. If you have fibro, if you know someone who does, if you are a health professional who would like to increase his/her knowledge of the condition, you MUST have this book. By the time I had to return the book to the library, I had already purchased it off the Internet and it has become my bible. As indispensible as medication, a good night's sleep and a positive attitude. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful piece of work by Dr. Starlanyl., Jan. 17 1999
By A Customer
This the 2nd book on FMS/MPS I personally own, written by this author. It's focus is on how to be more of your own advocate in light of the many frustrations, misunderstandings, and unknowns surrounding the conditions of FMS & MPS. It reviews some material from the first book, but is chocked full of new and revised information. It also has extensive bibliography, and reference sections. The worksheets alone are great. This is truly another valuable reference tool for those of us with MPS, FMS, or both. Written by a compassionate physician who understands all too well the numerous frustrations and problems patients encounter, as she has both conditions. As a health care professional, and FMS patient, I was pleased with both it's content and presentation. This book has a permanent place on my bedside stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Michael L. Johnson, Feb. 28 2004
Michael L. Johnson (Sherwood, WI United States) - See all my reviews
"The Fibromyalgia Advocate" along with "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Mypfascial Pain" are two must haves if you or someone you love suffers from FMS. The pain and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia is REAL and it is NOT all in the patient's head (IAIYH) as some doctors may suggest. FMS patients are suffering and suffering miserably. These two books are wonderful resources for the FMS patient and family. I use them in my patient lending library in my office.
Dr. Michael L. Johnson, author of "What Do You Do When the Medicaitons Don't Work--A Non-Drug Treatment of Dizziness, Migraine Headaches, Fibromyalgia, and Other Chronic Conditions".

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best resourses to date..., Jan. 19 2004
Amanda Johnson (Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
I have read many books on the subject, but this is the one I am always referring back to. The information is accurate, informative, concise, and easy-to-read for the layperson.
One of the most useful sections is 'What Your Doctor Should Know: Information for Medical Specialists,' which detail how the disease affects the physician's specialty and can be copied at your convenience. Some information from Dr. Starlanyl's first book, "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual," has been recycled, but both are worth owning to have for reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best help for those newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia, June 30 1999
By A Customer
I found this book to be greatly helpful in educating me in what is fibromyalgia and how to get the help I need. My primary care physician saw I was reading it and asked what they recommended. I take it with me to all Dr. appts and have had no problem getting the help I need to live a productive life with the pain. It has also helped me to understand why things are the way they are, such as the carbohydrate bingeing. I highly recommend this book to anyone with fibromyalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only book needed for the FMS sufferer, Oct. 13 1999
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (FMS) last week after a three month process. This book is extremely conprehensive in all aspects of how one must live and cope with FMS. It gave me insights into what I have been experiencing and helps me to ask the right questions of my doctor, helps me explain my condition to my employer, and made me aware of my rights as someone living with an "impairment" that few understand. Anyone with FMS MUST own and read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks you so much Devin!, May 27 2000
By A Customer
I am so grateful to Devin for writing this book! I find myself using it as a reference all the time. Even though most of us dont have as many resources as she does, I wouldnt even know where to start without her book. Who would ever think that pain releif could be as close as a tennis ball? So many great ideas and insite! If you are looking for a cure you will probably be disappointed but if you are looking for help and support this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fibromyalgia "Bible", Aug. 16 2000
By A Customer
This book has given me more insight on fibromyalgia than any of the other books I have read on Fibromyalgia. If I could only have one book it would be this one. Devin knows how we feel and gives us the information to cope. I have had "new" aches and pains and have found that this book addresses them. If you're looking for information on the way you feel and want to know how to cope, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Devin Starlanyl has outdone herself!, Jan. 26 1999
By A Customer
I never thought Dr. Starlanyl's first book could be topped, but she has topped it herself! Everything, and I do mean everything, you could possibly need to know about fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome is in this book! Without her, I can honestly say, I would never have received disability benefits. It's the best investment I have ever made! This book is the best; there simply is no equal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 13 2000
I found Devin's book to be very helpful. The book is filled with information which should help us learn more about how we can help ourselves. I really like the worksheet chart which can be used to show our doctors where the pain is on a daily basis.
I beleive Devin is doing more than many doctors to make sure those of us with Fibromyalgia are heard and helped.

CDN$ 36.50 CDN$ 23.00