march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on December 5, 2007
I read and used this workbook a few years ago... It really helped me to understand assertiveness. I have always been 'too nice' and whenever I stood up for myself I felt bad... this workbook helped me to learn the difference, and gave practical excercises to do in order to learn how to be assertive. I would highly recommend this book...
on February 16, 2001
This book was easy to read, easy to understand and very easy to apply immediately to life circumstances. I particularly found useful the chart of behaviors and the aspects of appearance very well written, vivid and clear. This book was full of accurate user friendly information that anyone would be able to apply in their lives whatever their circumstance or job.
on March 22, 2014
This is a great workbook format to fill in and work through.
I 'did the work' and it has already paid off. Communication is something to work on in every encounter.
It is not easy work, but it is rewarding.
I do not have a partner for some of the exercises, but I did stand in front of the mirror!
I didn't realize how much my body language revealed.
I took written notes and find it easier to remember if I write stuff down, and it's easier to review the major points instead of flipping through sections you already read.
My first confrontation with my boss went better than before. I was not as anxious and felt calm after it was over. Usually I put myself down for saying too much, or being a doormat and saying nothing at all. I didn't feel superior, and wasn't overpowered by the aggressive boss. It was easy to see his communication style and just let it be his problem, and not make it my own.
on February 6, 2016
Great book. I like that the writers are very down to earth and are not trying to sell you some sort of miracle trick. A lot of good advices that are explained in a clear but not simplistic way. The context in which these advice should be taken is also well explained, and the book uses a lot of warnings that the situation you're in will greatly influence how relevant the advices are.
on October 14, 2015
Great basic little workbook on assertiveness. If you have never done any assertiveness training this is a great place to start. Most people mistake assertiveness with being aggressive. It is quite the opposite. This book will teach you how to express yourself reasonably when you are angry and to understand why you are angry.
on November 28, 2014
Great book, very helpful. already ordered 3 copies to give to people who kept trying to borrow mine.
on March 23, 2013
This is not an easy read like the book:
" How to win friends & influence people"
but is very worthwhile.

The final Chapters 11 to 16 are the best & can be read straight away & still understood.
I found that I had to keep re-reading certain sections just because of the great volume of
important examples it gave.
That is a bonus because it can be used to apply to any situations even if the person
you're speaking to is very vague or unwilling to change their viewpoint.
In other words it allows you to deal with failure.
e.g.
bottom of page 129 :
" Don't try to change their mind. You can't control what others think.
They have the right to their opinions - even if they are mistaken ...............
you can't force them to do so "

Knowing how difficult some people are to deal with is a hard but valuable lesson.
I think anyone - no matter how good their diplomatic skills -
could gain something from this book.
on August 5, 2014
Answers many questions. Easy to use. Recommend it even as a thought provoking read.
on September 19, 2009
My psychologist recommended that I use this book to help with my interpersonal skills. Although the book is easy to read and has lots of room for writing in your personal thoughts, it does require some professional guidance. I've made it to chapter 3 on my own and have skimmed ahead to glimpse at some of the other chapters, but until my psychologist is able to spend some time on this book with me, I'm at a bit of a standstill.
on May 8, 2016
3.5 STARS- A decent "workbook-style" book promoting "assertiveness" in a broad sense of that word, not the narrower view that emerged from the Women's Rights movement of the 70's.

The organization could be improved and it could be better written and edited. Further, there is limited information pointing toward the empirical or clinical basis for the effectiveness of this approach; a red flag for any science-based practitioner.