countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on January 14, 2013
I bought this book about 2 months ago, as I was dealing with a lot of overwhelming emotions that made my life a struggle. My boyfriend had just decided to take some time apart since my outbursts and destructive behaviours (especially taking out my painful feelings on him) were making our relationship suffer so badly that separation seemed to be the only solution for the sake of his own sanity. I could just not bare the idea of loosing him because of borderline personality disorder and I thought I must do something about my behaviours.

Then, I found this book and read a lot of positive comments about it. I decided to give it a try... and certainly don't regret it now!
From the very beginning, I felt understood by the authors. Everything is just so clear and easy to understand. This is truly a step-by-step guide to take you from beginner to master in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. I've only gone through the first chapter out of 10, and I already see positive results.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has a hard time dealing with emotions and who have a real desire to change. The only secret to make this book as effective as it is meant to be is to simply take your time and make sure you have practiced and mastered as many skills as possible in the "basic skills" chapters before going for the "advanced skills" ones.

And to anyone who reads this comment: there's is hope. All it takes is a lot of courage, and miracles will happen.

Good luck!
on March 7, 2014
After years of dragging myself through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and believing I was a total failure, and becoming even more depressed, being told to "just let it all go", "leave it at the Cross", "just quit thinking about it", and "think happy, positive thoughts", I now have relief! I needed some validation and to know that I am where I am today through all of my life's experiences. I am living in the "present" now and am not fighting with my past so much (I do have some days with sadness). Knowing that, so called, negative feelings (sadness, anger, and jealousy) are part of being alive, and not something to be cut out of one's life, has been, strangely enough, a great relief. I just needed some tools on living with emotion and this workbook gave me just that!
on February 3, 2014
If you have any kind of issue with regulating emotion, this book has many exercises and tips to help you get through the worst moments of your life. I wish I found it sooner. My life has greatly improved!
on April 18, 2010
This specific workbook was recommended by my husbands psychiatrist, who has many years of experience and leads group and individual sessions of DBT. My husband is not far into it and already sees how many of it applies to him. He says it's like reading about himself. As long as he works on this every day like he's supposed to, in addition to the therapy he receives from his psychiatrist, he finds himself improving. We have checked out many other books, in regards to emotional deregulation, bipolar, and much more, and this is by far the best workbook for DBT. If you don't understand it (the book), perhaps you need to know more about your condition. Understanding what you ahve and what you do to other people, is a key step in getting better.
on May 15, 2013
This book really is the ultimate, affordable, self help class in DBT. Doing the exercises can be very tough, as it makes you face the tough stuff in your head, but that's the best way to get better. We have to face our demons to get over them. This book puts you right in the middle of the battle and helps you win.
on June 3, 2016
This is a wonderful book with clear explanations of both the reasons for anxiety and doubt and also interpersonal problems as well as good exercises for addressing all of the above. I am finding it very useful.
on June 26, 2014
I knew when someone refered me to that book it as purposes, but I didn't know what exact6ly until I open it and start to get into it... I'm not a big reader, but this work book is amazing, exercises that help very much and questions you have to ask yourself makes you think a lot about how your are and who you are...

I'm learning a lot about myself and about the others too... Glad to have that book sometimes in hard situations..! Help me to figure out things for myself!
on November 15, 2009
This book is one that should definitely be used in conjunction with a trained DBT teacher in a group setting. Having lived with depression on and off, without proper instruction and timing I am tempted to look at the instructions and ideas and say 'Yeah, right."
The actualy DBT program is usually spread out over a year with reinforcement of the skills and this time frame would be necessary to accomplish this and I re-emphasize this needs to be done with proper guidance. It might be labelled 'Mindfulness meets CBT' as the two concepts appear to be blended.
I felt there should be a rearranging of some chapters as some of the practices might be more beneficial if presented in a slightly different order.
Don't attempt this program solo because you might just read through the book hastily and gain little benefit.
on October 11, 2015
Excellent therapy book, that was recommended by my psychiatrist! I like how it starts right at the beginning, how well explained it is, and how we don't feel any judgement in it - some books are good to judge, some books are good to explain help and heal without making you feel like an idiot or a psycho - this falls in the second category. Thanks!
on August 24, 2015
This book is great. Always helps me get back on track and is very comforting. As with anything, use regularly for best results! I noticed changes soon after and am hoping for the best as I continue through this book.