countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 29, 2011
If you are looking to make your life more meaningful, more joyous and more fulfilling then you are going to be richly rewarded when you read this book. If you are finding you're spending too much time 'slicing baloney' as I like to call needless conflict/egocentric positionality then you must read this book.

I have read dozens of books on 'spirituality' and felt before I started that I had a very good understanding of how 'it all works'. Michael Singer has written a book that distills it all down to simple, easy to understand concepts that each of us are intimately familiar with. You are going to wonder as you read this book if Michael has been reading your mind or somehow knows you inside and out.

And he will give you some great tips on how to integrate his concepts into your life quickly and painlessly so you live at higher and higher levels of consciousness and joy.

I have given this book to many friends and my adult children and recommended it to countless others. Every one of them has thanked me for sharing it with them. I hope you will too.
on August 26, 2008
This book is remarkable in that it tackles the major questions of life (who am I? what is my purpose in life? what is spiritual reality?) in plain language and vivid examples, without getting enmired in complex philosophical, psychological or religious jargon. The book takes the form of a journey of inquiry, beginning with paying attention to the internal monologue or "voice inside your head", noticing how it distracts your consciousness from the reality of the present moment. From there, Singer explains the value of developing a sense of your self as the witness who can observe the actions of mind and emotions, without identifying with them. He goes on to explain how we can liberate our consciousness from suffering, attain true happiness, and what we can learn by contemplating death. I highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in spiritual reality, regardless of their religious or philosophical affiliations, as the concepts are presented in a very universal manner.
We all have a little voice inside our heads that constantly narrates all of the events of our lives. It rambles on about the events of the day. It reminds us that the person we are talking to is named Sue. It also makes sure that we remember every bad thing that Sue ever did to us and all the judgments we might have about our current conversation.

Often we get so used to this voice endlessly droning on that we aren't even consciously aware of what this voice is saying or how it subconsciously affects everything in our lives. Even when we do recognize the voice, we tend to automatically assume that it is telling us the truth. We don't realize that everything that this voice says is actually colored by our previous experiences, our fears, and our insecurities.

The Untethered Soul seeks to make us aware of that little voice. To gain an understanding of what that voice is saying and how it affects us in our choices and our view of the world. Essentially, how those views constrain our lives and limit our ability to love and be loved. Then, this book asks us to quiet that voice and open ourselves to the possibilities to a whole different way of thinking, feeling, and being.
on February 7, 2016
I have never written a book review, but after suffering through The Untethered Soul I was compelled to save others the time and money. I consider myself an open-minded individual, but had to remind myself several times to remain so and that the best was yet to come. It never came.

I was excited when I found this book on Amazon and read the excellent reviews. I ordered and couldn't wait for it to arrive. Let the enlightenment begin!

The first couple of chapters introduced the interesting concept of our 'Self' or 'Spirit' being the observer and separate from our thoughts, emotions, and occurrences. I liked the idea and looked forward to discovering how this concept could be applied to everyday life, but from there on the author simply repeated this idea using slightly different wording. It is full of vague and convenient examples and analogies while completely void of practical, scientific, or clinical information. I don't even know why he bothered dividing into chapters. They all seem the same as he blabbers on about whatever came to his mind in the possibly one day it was written.

He also contradicts himself on numerous occasions. An example is chapter 15 where he instructs his readers to simply choose to be happy for the rest of their lives. Ummm...okay, tell that to someone who has just lost a loved one or suffered some other traumatic experience. Choosing to be happy at a time like that would likely be considered psychopathic. Regardless, this contradicts his opinion of how emotions such as happiness are separate from the self, something we simply experience, and not within our control.

Some stand out moments include his analogy where he refers to ice as 'simply concentrated water', which demonstrates the level of accuracy you can expect from this book. However, the prize goes to the section about how God would rather hang out with happy people! By this point I was convinced the author was at least one French Fry short of a Happy Meal.

It was just horrible. Please look elsewhere for enlightenment and best of luck to all.
on March 22, 2009
This book is simply profound. Michael Singer's teaching around resisting and clinging and the implications for our availability to live vibrant fulfilled lives is the nourishment our souls need. I am rereading parts already and this one will be a party of my teaching/coaching in the years to come. This is the millennial version of the Road Less Traveled.
on November 18, 2013
i read this book twice and suggested it to like minded friends..they loved it too. it helps you rediscover yourself. not like any other book i have read...helped me through some tough times when i used his suggested practices.
on May 20, 2016
I read this book twice .
I found myself really wanting to absorb Mr Singers words and methods .
I have read books before with the same message so there were no surprises .
However I enjoyed it,s symplicity and practicality , the chapter on happiness was very refreshing I had more then a few aha moments .
Singers explanation and addition of TAO was a bonus .
I highly reccomend this book .
on January 19, 2011
My partner was given this book and I picked it up one day. Since then I have given it to two friends for christmas and they in turn have bought copies for other people. I am not eloquent enough to describe what is unearthed as you read this book but it is a true gift to humanity. I will read it over and over.
on November 18, 2007
This is a seminal, breakthrough book. I found that reading it was enlightening and awakening in a way that very few books achieve, and I read about a book a day. For me, it's in the same category as Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, in that it not only contains accurate information about liberating consciousness from its entanglements, but also delivers a TRANSMISSION OF PRESENCE.

Read it!
on June 18, 2016
I wish everyone would read this book. Anyone who struggles with negative thoughts--read this book! Your thoughts are not you. You are the one observing the thoughts. Just acknowledge them and let them pass instead of struggling with them and being consumed by them. That's the gist of it, for me, anyway. It's a big Ah-hah! book.