5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightenment, presented with elegant simplicity
Published on Aug. 26 2008 by David Wegenast

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it a very boring read. I know others wrote that it was ...
I bought this book to try to come to terms with the death of my sister. The book was of no help. I found it a very boring read. I know others wrote that it was amazing and they could all relate to it. I couldn't it. I tried many times. I guess it just isn't my cup of tea.
Published 14 days ago by Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightenment, presented with elegant simplicity, Aug. 26 2008
David Wegenast "Omanand" (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself (Paperback)
This book is remarkable in that it tackles the major questions of life (who am I? what is my purpose in life? what is spiritual reality?) in plain language and vivid examples, without getting enmired in complex philosophical, psychological or religious jargon. The book takes the form of a journey of inquiry, beginning with paying attention to the internal monologue or "voice inside your head", noticing how it distracts your consciousness from the reality of the present moment. From there, Singer explains the value of developing a sense of your self as the witness who can observe the actions of mind and emotions, without identifying with them. He goes on to explain how we can liberate our consciousness from suffering, attain true happiness, and what we can learn by contemplating death. I highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in spiritual reality, regardless of their religious or philosophical affiliations, as the concepts are presented in a very universal manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put this book on your MUST READ list, May 29 2011
Amazon Customer (Tempe, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
If you are looking to make your life more meaningful, more joyous and more fulfilling then you are going to be richly rewarded when you read this book. If you are finding you're spending too much time 'slicing baloney' as I like to call needless conflict/egocentric positionality then you must read this book.

I have read dozens of books on 'spirituality' and felt before I started that I had a very good understanding of how 'it all works'. Michael Singer has written a book that distills it all down to simple, easy to understand concepts that each of us are intimately familiar with. You are going to wonder as you read this book if Michael has been reading your mind or somehow knows you inside and out.

And he will give you some great tips on how to integrate his concepts into your life quickly and painlessly so you live at higher and higher levels of consciousness and joy.

I have given this book to many friends and my adult children and recommended it to countless others. Every one of them has thanked me for sharing it with them. I hope you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Untethered Soul, Dec 6 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
We all have a little voice inside our heads that constantly narrates all of the events of our lives. It rambles on about the events of the day. It reminds us that the person we are talking to is named Sue. It also makes sure that we remember every bad thing that Sue ever did to us and all the judgments we might have about our current conversation.

Often we get so used to this voice endlessly droning on that we aren't even consciously aware of what this voice is saying or how it subconsciously affects everything in our lives. Even when we do recognize the voice, we tend to automatically assume that it is telling us the truth. We don't realize that everything that this voice says is actually colored by our previous experiences, our fears, and our insecurities.

The Untethered Soul seeks to make us aware of that little voice. To gain an understanding of what that voice is saying and how it affects us in our choices and our view of the world. Essentially, how those views constrain our lives and limit our ability to love and be loved. Then, this book asks us to quiet that voice and open ourselves to the possibilities to a whole different way of thinking, feeling, and being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Food, March 22 2009
This book is simply profound. Michael Singer's teaching around resisting and clinging and the implications for our availability to live vibrant fulfilled lives is the nourishment our souls need. I am rereading parts already and this one will be a party of my teaching/coaching in the years to come. This is the millennial version of the Road Less Traveled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, Jan. 19 2011
Lauralie Webb (Errington, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
My partner was given this book and I picked it up one day. Since then I have given it to two friends for christmas and they in turn have bought copies for other people. I am not eloquent enough to describe what is unearthed as you read this book but it is a true gift to humanity. I will read it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars best, Nov. 18 2013
C. Dulong (Toronto, ontario) - See all my reviews
i read this book twice and suggested it to like minded friends..they loved it too. it helps you rediscover yourself. not like any other boook i have read...helpedme through some tough times when i used his suggested practices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Nov. 18 2007
This is a seminal, breakthrough book. I found that reading it was enlightening and awakening in a way that very few books achieve, and I read about a book a day. For me, it's in the same category as Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, in that it not only contains accurate information about liberating consciousness from its entanglements, but also delivers a TRANSMISSION OF PRESENCE.

Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is simpler than people think. Just be happy. That's all that matters., Oct. 13 2014
I grew up in a VERY religious family. "The Untethered Soul" contains more insight and valuable life lessons than any of the religious teachings I ever received as a child in church. If every religious person simply began living their lives according to this book's teachings, rather than based on parables from an ancient book, written by man, the world would become a much better place.

People need to realize that the meaning of life is not some "test" from an egotistical god. It's about the journey to happiness.

Organized religions want people to believe that THEIR path is the ONLY path to enlightenment, but that is simply not true. If anything, religion pushes people to think that they are better than others. Islam even teaches their followers to actively hate non-believers. Christians become judgmental jerks to "non-believers", ironically at the same time their Bible specifically states that passing judgment on others is a sin. It's the polar opposite of 'compassion and love' as religions claim to teach. I've just gotten tired of all the hypocrisy. If people just focused on happiness, rather than making sure they pay their tithing, pray before meals, and attend weekly meetings, all of them would be happier, and would become better people.

I teach my kids that being happy is the most important thing in life. Only do things that bring happiness into your life. Help others. Be compassionate. It has nothing to do with religion or God. It's about doing good in the world and helping your fellow man. The true path to enlightenment is to live one's life in the moment, and according to one rule, and one rule only... to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." -The Golden Rule

5.0 out of 5 stars This book appeared so easily and effortlessly, Sept. 6 2014
This book was casually mentioned by an employee of a health food store. She added that it was so powerful that she was reading it for the second time. It has been said that if "IT" comes in our awareness three times, pay attention. I received all three in one conversation. This book appeared so easily and effortlessly, was not "looking" for it, took the action step, and here I am today saying...follow your own true voice, it will never lead you astray. Am I going back for a second read? Yes. The purpose? A constant dose of inspiration and understanding and unconditional love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Sept. 29 2013
In every chapter I feel he was speaking directly to me because most of what he is saying I experienced. I will recommend this book to my family and friends

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer (Paperback - Sept. 15 2007)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40