5.0 out of 5 stars The only breastfeeding book you will need., Jan. 6 2011
This review is from: Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers (Paperback)
This book contains so much useful information in an easy-to-read format. The forward is written by Dr. Jack Newman, Canada's foremost lactation expert, so you know the material is solid and science-based. I found this book so helpful to review when I was getting started with breastfeeding, and was soooo glad I had read it before giving birth so I could filter out the not-so-good advice I received from well-meaning relatives, friends, and even hospital nurses. The best part was, I knew right from the beginning that it is not supposed to hurt to breastfeed! Had I not known this, I might have been tempted to grin and bear it, rather than recognizing that the baby's latch was not quite right and taking steps to fix it before things got out of hand. I cannot rate this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book about breastfeeding, March 3 2013
This is THE book about breastfeeding. I read many books about the subject and I think this is most informative and complete I've read. During the first days and weeks of breastfeeding, I went back to the book dozens of times! I especially liked the chapters about how it should be during the first days/weeks. Breastfeeding is a worrisome process and this book was very reassuring. Every time we had a question or wondered if something was normal, this book answered well! If you plan on breastfeeding and have no one close to you to help you figure it out, this is THE book to have on hand. The only thing I would have liked is more details on how it should go after the first month. Overall,it is the best book I've read on breastfeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had read this before the baby arrived!, June 3 2011
This is an excellent breastfeeding book. It has given me the confidence to know that my instincts were right. My newborn wanted to be feed every hour during the daytime for the first two week. I was happy to know that this was normal.

The book is well structured from explaining how mommy and baby are both hardwired for breastfeeding (i.e., it's totally natural), to how to create a good latch, to understanding your baby's feeding patterns and then dealing with common breastfeeding problems. It also provides good tips on how to breastfeed at night (and during the day) so that you minimize the level of effort required to breastfeed (This is key when you have a baby who wants to eat every hour... at the beginning).

The book's motto is any amount of breastfeeding is better than none... so even if you also want to provide some formula to your baby, for whatever reason you may have, this book would be helpful.

This book does seem to encourage co-sleeping. Although this is not recommended by Health Canada, what I have found practical is having my baby in the bassinet in my room and breastfeeding my baby in bed at night (sitting in my bed, not sleeping with the baby). This is another tip from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're pregnant, you need to read it!, Aug. 6 2014
I learned so much about breastfeeding from this book! And why it went so wrong with my first child. If you are a mom-to-be looking to breastfeed, READ THIS BOOK! It makes breastfeeding make sense, which the nurses in the hospital won't do, trust me. You will learn why it fails so many times for so many women, why the medical system in Western culture has sabotaged breastfeeding, and how to protect yourself from it all. Please don't listen to the nurses in the hospital with they're pseudo-medical, typically antiquated "knowledge". Read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, May 2 2014
This is a Great book. So helpful in my breast feeding journey. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to breast feed that has doubts or people deterring them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me through the tough times!, March 10 2014
Fantastic book for any breastfeeding mom. I started reading it when I was pregnant, and I refer to it often. I'm sure I would have given up on breastfeeding early on if it wasn't for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, Feb. 3 2014
This book taught me so much about breastfeeding. I couldn't nurse properly with my first so I bought this book to prepare for my second. I told me everything I needed to know and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, Nov. 20 2013
I borrowed this book from a friend a couple of months after having a rough start to breastfeeding with my son. It was wonderful and offered a lot of practical advice as well as reassurance. I read a lot of other books at the time, and I found this one the easiest to read and the one that made the biggest difference for me. Many of the others (including Dr. Newman's book, to be honest) made my head spin and I did not like the writing styles. Now that I'm having a second baby, I am coming back to purchase the book. I can't say enough good things about it. I plan to read it again BEFORE delivery. If you only read one book before having your baby, this should be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took away my nerves..., May 23 2013
I borrowed this book from our library and am coming here to purchase it. I loved this book! I'm a first time mom with baby due in 5 weeks. I was nervous about Breastfeeding and nervous about remembering all the right steps. This book breaks it down and simplifies it, as well as troubleshooting potential difficulties. I now feel this is something attainable - not necessarily easy, but within my reach :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best breastfeeding book, April 3 2013
I bought 3 breastfeeding books and this is the best one. It really covers all the information that you need to know to make a go of breastfeeding. Also, I did have some difficulties, and this book helped with troubleshooting in those situations, and to know when to seek more help. I like the writing style of the authors and it was really easy to read, and made a lot of sense. It is the only book you need, if you just want to read one book on the topic. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to every woman having a baby. It is a great resource and so clearly written, it is like a knowledgeable friend talking to you. I am even rereading it now, to review some of the information. This is a great book and makes a whole lot of sense. Get it!

Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers by Kathleen Kendall-Tackett (Paperback - Oct. 25 2010)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57