5.0 out of 5 stars It really, really helped
Published on June 25 2002 by jschult

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning:
This is a well written book that will probably help if you have a child that is mildly challenging. If you know or suspect your child has oppositional defiant disorder, get professional help.
Published on Dec 24 2002 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars It really, really helped, June 25 2002
"jschult" (Hamilton, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Defiant Child, First Edition: Eight Steps to Better Behavior (Paperback)
When my husband got this book we were at our wits' end with our four year old. I was beginning to believe she had no conscience at all. We had a three week wait before we could get in to see the child psychologist. This book helped us understand what was going on, that her behavior wasn't our "fault" but that we were a factor, and that we could actually influence her behavior - which at the time seemed impossible. The process Barkley recommends seemed slow at the time, but looking back, it worked amazingly quickly! We didn't get through all 8 steps; just steps 1-3 made such a difference that we didn't need to. The psychologist we saw, while he hadn't read this book, said it seemed to be very much in line with current clinical practice, and encouraged us to use it. A year and a half later, we do have to go back and make sure we give our child her "special time" (one of the steps) or she slips back into some of her bad habits, but we are actually enjoying being parents now. This is not just a "self-help" type book, though it does give self-tests to help you evaluate your situation. It has a lot of substance, and discusses clinical differences between ADHD, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, and Conduct Disorder in a clear, professional way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning:, Dec 24 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, Nov. 20 2002
This book is the same as everything else that Dr. Barkley has written. There is nothing new here. It is all negative. "Your kid is a monster" attitude. Give him drugs and he will be fine. Don't waste your money. I want something more positive and helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Help for Parents at Their Wit's End .. ., May 10 2001
The author, eminent in his field and writing from many years of clinical experience and research, has produced a state-of-the-art book on dealing with defiant children. The book is particularly useful in stressing the fundamental importance of taking a positive approach to the child's misbehaviors--focusing on praise and coming up with effective incentives to promote better behavior, rather than continuing with criticism, punishment and the kinds of misguided parental discipline that (with these types of children, at least) serve to worsen both the problem and the child's already impaired self-esteem.
The book elaborates on a program that requires a great deal of discipline on the part of the parents to carry out. But it really is "the ticket" for reprograming the child to change behaviors that are both problematic and potentially very serious to his/her healthy development.
It's simple enough. All kids adopt and change behavior based on basic principles of reinforcement. This book clarifies just how to reward the behaviors that are wanted and successfully discourage or even eradicate behaviors that are so troublesome. This book should be a "godsend" to parents who have felt totally inadequate to deal with the challenges of such a temperamentally difficult youngster.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a big hit in our household, June 11 2000
By A Customer
This is just another rehashing of the same old reward and punishment doctrine. There's little new or fresh here...in fact, the strategies in this book actually made things worse. Not the book to read if you're looking for real help with a child who hasn't responded to traditional "good discipline."

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Understanding of My childs behavior, March 22 2000
I have read most of this book and have begun to understand my childs behavior a lot better. I will start initiating the plan as soon as I finish reading the book as best as I can, due to the fact that my son lives with his father and is only with me on assigned visits by the courts.

Your Defiant Child, First Edition: Eight Steps to Better Behavior
Your Defiant Child, First Edition: Eight Steps to Better Behavior by Christine M. Benton (Paperback - Oct. 7 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01