Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on March 18, 2010
I cannot believe that this absolute masterpiece of work has so few reviews. Siegel is a genious and his original synthesis presented here should be required reading for the psychology profession and anyone seriously dedicated to the question of what makes us human. This is one of the few pieces of work I have read where every sentence, page, and chapter, serve a meaningful purpose and are drenched with valuable insights. Dan Siegel is as important to psychology as Bruce Lee was to martial arts. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on September 30, 2003
This is an accessible book. I'm still in the process of reading, but NOTE: This is paperback edition is subtitled differently than the hardback:
The Developing Mind: Toward a Neurobiology of Interpersonal Experience
but the copyright page states these two are the same book. Since the Amazon page for the hardback (innocently) suggests you buy both together to save, I thought I'd point out: Save even more: just buy the paperback edition! Hope this helps prospective readers.
In the meantime, the book confirms what years as a manager in large corporations has lead me to suspect - a healthy work culture affects the business in tangible ways! Still reading...
on September 14, 2003
As the founding editor of an academic literature review journal, I must say that Siegel's book is a masterpiece. Both the field of developmental psychology and neurobiology are fraught with discrepant theories, but Siegel (professor of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles) manages to accurately represent the findings in both fields and integrate them in a way that will profoundly affect the way therapists and doctors will view their client's problems. In particular, he shows how our sense of self is intimately interconnected with the development of the brain, the processing of emotional circuits, the construction of cognitive frameworks (the "mind") and our interactions with parents, peers and society. But this book is not for the faint of heart since Siegel presumes the reader has a general understanding of psychodynamic theory.