5.0 out of 5 stars YOU HAVE TO LOVE THIS CHANCE

3.0 out of 5 stars ...
Published on July 9 2004 by Aly

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU HAVE TO LOVE THIS CHANCE, Nov. 15 2002
Renee' Quinn (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kurt Cobain Journals (Hardcover)
having just become a Cobain fan....... I found this to be a great chance to read first hand just what was or was not going on in this young mans mind....... there were things that I found extremely funny...... things that I found to be very sweet and loving......... then there were the darker parts that though I hate to think that he would take his on life..... it matters not the end is still the end...... I have been on a mission to read each and everything thing that I can find about this talented young man I just had to have this book...... and I must say with all honesty I will take great pains to make sure that this book stays close for a long time to come.......
wonderful insight to a troubled mind and life of someone that touched so many lives (whether or not he ever really wanted to)
a must read and own for all KURT COBAIN fans.........

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Feb. 6 2012
This review is from: Kurt Cobain Journals (Hardcover)
Very fast delivery, book was in excellent condition, better than I expected. Extremely cheap price, will definitely purchase from this buyer again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow up and read this book if you're so inclined to do so!, July 9 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
The problem with the people who give Journals a negative review is the fact they haven't read Journals. And the kicker is that these so-called "fans" are so terrified of reading it and somehow "desecrating" Kurt Cobain's soul in the process that they dare not read it. These tpes of people don't even belong here reviewing something they haven't even read let alone opened with their own hands. It's not like Kurt's going to come back from the dead to haunt any of you people; None of you are even worth it. Anyway, Journals is a good read for anyone interested in the documentation of an every-man's life because it's such a rare thing to see someone's letters of any profession, word-for-word (the airbrushing was a rumor... or not!), in their own handwriting. To the naysayers: Go naysay your heads off, and don't come back 'til you read Journals.

3.0 out of 5 stars ..., July 9 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
I HATE how people are saying it's "disgusting" reading Kurt's Journals...If you don't think it's right, then don't read it.Make a choice for yourself.Kurt's gone and his privacy should be respected, however, people are going to buy Journals no matter what you say. I only flipped through it in the book store the other day. Interesting to say the least. And I'm going to buy it. Despite all the bashing I've read about it. Despite the fact that it's repeating facts I already know [he was a druggie, suicidal, such and such]. Despite the fact that buying it will help Courtney more than anyone else. When I die, if I'm a recognized celebrity I would want my journals to be published. It's a way for fans to see more about the person they idolize.I'm not saying I idolize Kurt and thats why I'm buying. I'm just saying there is people like that.

4.0 out of 5 stars These one-star reviewers haven't read Journals! Ignore them!, July 5 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
Kurt documented his drug abuse, suicide attempts, and other problems in this Journals compilation so that the entries could be read after he killed himself. That's the ONLY reason somebody like him would do that. His entries aren't even numbered or marked with dates because he just wanted to keep track of his daily rants, whines, and problems for future reading. Who they were meant for exactly is obviously a mystery, but he kept them for SOMEONE. The "fans" who say that selling Kurt's Journals is "disgusting" need to actually read the journal entries before making judgments, because there's isn't anything in there that Kurt hasn't mentioned in interviews or Azzerad's CAYA. I hate preachy fans of any band, but that stands double for supposed "morally-upright" Nirvana fans. They practically worship Kurt Cobain when he was the most self-absorbed, self-indulgent druggie ever to grace he music world. They're such hypocrites. He deserved the "tragic" ending to his life that he gave himself. Wanna talk about somebody's greediness? Then talk about Kurt's daily $400 a day heroin binges... and how he killed himself and took hemself out of his daughter's life forever. Kurt allowed Courtney to get her hands on his journal entries by killing himself, so it's his fault if he didn't want them released. All in all, Journals was an interesting read. Ignore the born-again Christian Nirvana reviewers who gave this book one star, and see for yourself if you like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boycott, June 30 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
All fans of Nirvana know it was stated in Kurt Cobain's will that these journals were not to be printed." Journals", as well as "Heavier Than Heaven", are just apart of Courtny Love's money making scheme.
Boycott "Journals" and "Heavier Than Heaven" if you care at all about the santety of a dead man.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely disgusting, June 28 2004
Lauren (Duluth, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
I find it absolutely disgusting that people would buy this book. First off, it's a blatant disregard for his privacy. People say, "He's dead anyway, he doesn't care." He's dead, so he doesn't have a right to privacy? That's awful. Also, Kurt Cobain may have let others read his journals, but those were people close to him -- I highly doubt, guarded as he was, that he intended for the world to see his writings. Finally, it's only a way for Courtney Love to make money by exploiting her dead husband, because she was irresponsible enough to throw away all of the money he left her, as well as the money he left for their daughter.
To the reviewer who said we're exploiting him just the same by buying the greatest hits CD -- that's absolutely wrong. Music recorded in a studio always has the potential to be released, and I'm sure Kurt Cobain knew that. Also, "You Know You're Right" was released only after a lengthy battle between Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, and Courtney Love, the former team being for its release. Krist Novoselic has always dealt with Nirvana's business after Kurt Cobain's death in a way that he feels is beneficial to the fans, and not only to make money. It has always seemed to be a thankless job, as he doesn't get the proper respect for all that he does. The remaining members of the band releasing a song considered to be their best unreleased track is entirely different from Courtney Love selling her husband's private thoughts.
The biggest Nirvana fans seem to be the ones buying this book, and it's strange because they should be the ones to understand how much Cobain valued privacy. Let the man rest in just a little bit of peace. He's already the object of the same idol worship that he despised (which I will freely admit to at times). Let's at least preserve his privacy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A shameless money making venture., June 25 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
I found this book to be dismally disappointing. Firstly, the majority of the pages found in this book were rehashed already in the biography by Charles Cross. Those that weren't already available were uninteresting and told us nothing even the most meagre of fans didn't already know. He liked the Knack. He liked the Vaselines. He hated fame. WE KNOW!
It is a painful read, disjointed, disorganised and an insult to fans. Several pages end mid-sentence and the following page goes on to a completely different topic. It brings a whole new meaning to the word 'extract'. We know Kurt wrote more than this, and they had to be more engaging considering the dull contents of these journals. The very select pages within this book are a money-making ploy designed to milk the Cobain legacy and keep Nirvana 'fans' appeased, and considering the enormous sales it has seemed to work.
On top of this reading someone's personal writings made me feel sick to my stomach. What he wanted people to know he put in his songs and these were his personal thoughts in his personal notebooks. First ask yourself if you would like your personal thoughts to be published and sold and then do yourself a favour and invest in a copy of 'In Utero' instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Making Plan, June 16 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
At first the thought of having a copy of Kurt's Journals to me was great then I thought. Supposedly not all of the Journal has been released only parts. Someone he "Loved" released them by pure greed and, when his Journal was stolen when he was alive her referred to the feeling as if he had been "raped". Why would you want to make such a personal thing public? He I am sure is looking down very angry at all that has happened surrounding his suspicious death and the greedy and pathetic ways of someone he "loves". I recommend you read "Love and Death the Murder of Kurt Cobain". It sheds light on the whole situation and I must say after reading it (my friends whom read it agreed completely) I would never purchase something that would give profits the wife of Cobain in any way shape of form. I burned my 2 Hole CD's and refused to buy anymore Also
Everyone i knows boycotts movies , magazines and TV shows with her in it. I will never buy another Smashing pumpkins or Billy Corgan item either. Never again will a penny of my money go to fund a murderer. Read "Love and Death the Murder of Kurt Cobain" the book it is great. PS you will not get all of what he wrote in the journals because they were heavily edited as to not make Courtney look bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read......but......., June 14 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
This book was very fascinating, but you get the feeling throughout that it has been edited--and strangely altered in places that look like someone has scratched things out, and in a different handwriting, made corrections to his words. Not a huge amout of insight in to the man, other than seeing his original lyrics in his own hand writing and a few rough drafts of personal letters he wrote, along with some interesting doodles. People looking for deep insight, won't get more than lyric sheets and lists of his favorite bands.....and you'll be left feeling sort of creepy when you're done.

Journals
Journals by Kurt Cobain (Paperback - Nov. 4 2003)
CDN$ 26.50 CDN$ 16.62