march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 15, 2002
having just become a Cobain fan....... I found this to be a great chance to read first hand just what was or was not going on in this young mans mind....... there were things that I found extremely funny...... things that I found to be very sweet and loving......... then there were the darker parts that though I hate to think that he would take his on life..... it matters not the end is still the end...... I have been on a mission to read each and everything thing that I can find about this talented young man I just had to have this book...... and I must say with all honesty I will take great pains to make sure that this book stays close for a long time to come.......
wonderful insight to a troubled mind and life of someone that touched so many lives (whether or not he ever really wanted to)
a must read and own for all KURT COBAIN fans.........
on April 23, 2004
I've always been fascinated by Kurt Cobain. Although I'm only thirteen, I've sensed some sort of connection between me and his music. Like most people, I wanted to peek inside his mind; I wanted to know everything. Everything thought, every dream, every moment, every mood. Who doesn't? Maybe some would consider it violating, reading his own personal journals, but you just can't help but want to. And it was worth it. Do I feel guilty? Not at all.
Kurt's journals are one of the fewer *real* life account diaries in which is genius. If anyone who has read the Diary of Anne Frank, you can bet Journals by Kurt Cobain is just as remarkable on its own. You can follow Kurt on the same journey as you did with Anne; Through the happy times, the sad times, and times when you just don't know how to feel but try to anyway. The outcome is amazing. Filled with doodlings, letters, funny yet sarcastic-mocking comics, shopping lists, and random writings from Kurt.
You can also note from his writings that Kurt was not afraid to say what he wanted to say. He did not fear anyone, although sometimes he feared himself. He believed grunge and punk rock was more than multi-coloured hair, worn out Metallica t-shirts and wallet chains; He believed it was all about how you are and your attitude about everything. You couldn't just become it overnight.. It was something that was in your soul, like you already were it. He speaks of how he seemed to be lured into everything. And also how people judge without knowing, and how he could see through people, love people, and find good in everyone.
I'm not telling you to read it. I'm not telling you not to read it. Some might argue it's an invasion of privacy, his privacy. That some things are better left alone, untouched, unjudged. Maybe so. Others might tell you to read it. What would it hurt? Maybe so. But if you really wanted to know Kurt, on a much more deeper level, more personal, I would say read it. But I'm not telling you, remember?
'Don't read this when I'm gone. Okay, I'm going to work now. Look through my thoughts, and figure me out'-Kurt Cobain
Indeed, Kurt. Indeed.
on July 9, 2004
The problem with the people who give Journals a negative review is the fact they haven't read Journals. And the kicker is that these so-called "fans" are so terrified of reading it and somehow "desecrating" Kurt Cobain's soul in the process that they dare not read it. These tpes of people don't even belong here reviewing something they haven't even read let alone opened with their own hands. It's not like Kurt's going to come back from the dead to haunt any of you people; None of you are even worth it. Anyway, Journals is a good read for anyone interested in the documentation of an every-man's life because it's such a rare thing to see someone's letters of any profession, word-for-word (the airbrushing was a rumor... or not!), in their own handwriting. To the naysayers: Go naysay your heads off, and don't come back 'til you read Journals.
on June 28, 2004
I find it absolutely disgusting that people would buy this book. First off, it's a blatant disregard for his privacy. People say, "He's dead anyway, he doesn't care." He's dead, so he doesn't have a right to privacy? That's awful. Also, Kurt Cobain may have let others read his journals, but those were people close to him -- I highly doubt, guarded as he was, that he intended for the world to see his writings. Finally, it's only a way for Courtney Love to make money by exploiting her dead husband, because she was irresponsible enough to throw away all of the money he left her, as well as the money he left for their daughter.
To the reviewer who said we're exploiting him just the same by buying the greatest hits CD -- that's absolutely wrong. Music recorded in a studio always has the potential to be released, and I'm sure Kurt Cobain knew that. Also, "You Know You're Right" was released only after a lengthy battle between Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, and Courtney Love, the former team being for its release. Krist Novoselic has always dealt with Nirvana's business after Kurt Cobain's death in a way that he feels is beneficial to the fans, and not only to make money. It has always seemed to be a thankless job, as he doesn't get the proper respect for all that he does. The remaining members of the band releasing a song considered to be their best unreleased track is entirely different from Courtney Love selling her husband's private thoughts.
The biggest Nirvana fans seem to be the ones buying this book, and it's strange because they should be the ones to understand how much Cobain valued privacy. Let the man rest in just a little bit of peace. He's already the object of the same idol worship that he despised (which I will freely admit to at times). Let's at least preserve his privacy.
on June 25, 2004
I found this book to be dismally disappointing. Firstly, the majority of the pages found in this book were rehashed already in the biography by Charles Cross. Those that weren't already available were uninteresting and told us nothing even the most meagre of fans didn't already know. He liked the Knack. He liked the Vaselines. He hated fame. WE KNOW!
It is a painful read, disjointed, disorganised and an insult to fans. Several pages end mid-sentence and the following page goes on to a completely different topic. It brings a whole new meaning to the word 'extract'. We know Kurt wrote more than this, and they had to be more engaging considering the dull contents of these journals. The very select pages within this book are a money-making ploy designed to milk the Cobain legacy and keep Nirvana 'fans' appeased, and considering the enormous sales it has seemed to work.
On top of this reading someone's personal writings made me feel sick to my stomach. What he wanted people to know he put in his songs and these were his personal thoughts in his personal notebooks. First ask yourself if you would like your personal thoughts to be published and sold and then do yourself a favour and invest in a copy of 'In Utero' instead.
on June 3, 2004
All this crap about how Journals is an "invasion of privacy" is a load of bull. The same fans that complain about how Journals "violates" Kurt Cobain have rushed out to buy the distasteful "Greatest Hits" CD just for "You Know You're Right", which was posthumously released just to cash in on the dead musician. Apparently, these hypocrites think it's OK to profit off Kurt's personal feelings and words, but only if they are set to music instead of paper.
Even though I'm not a Nirvana fan anymore, I think this book gives readers an insightful look into Kurt Cobain and his life. In the earlier letters and notes before became famous, he clearly stresses (and obsesses) over minute details of unimportant everyday things, while at the same time seeming to neglect the general everyday things that people are supposed to keep up with (like having a steady job, cleaning house, going out during daylight hours, and even hygiene). Some people interpreted his focusing on minute, unimportant details as perfectionism, but he is no perfectionist, and he himself comments on how he regularly does certain things halfarsed to spite people he doesn't like (even if it ends up hurting him in the long run). It seems like he didn't see himself as being able to attain certain goals, so he just didn't try. I think he was more than capable, but his self-image was so poor that it hindered him from becoming anything more than he thought he could be-- which, in his eyes, was not much. One of his earlier letters to a friend that details one of his many suicide attempts-- one that involved a cinder block and train tracks. He wrote of it so casually that it was quite unnerving. More than anything though, Kurt seemed angry at himself rather than sad for himself. He didn't have much of a regard for his own well-being even in when he was in his late-teens, early-twenties, and that disregard for his body and his life became even more extreme as the years progressed. During his famous "rock star" years, Kurt Cobain sounded like a b*tch to be around. His writing from this period was so vengeful and angry (especially towards his fans and the media) that it verged on the hateful. His writings from this period also show the major shift in his behavior; he was no longer the simple stoner kid that could live off $2.00 a day and a little bit of pot. No, he was now a heroin-fiend who was spending up to $400 for his drug habit alone. No matter how much Kurt denied it (and he denied many, many things), money was obviously a very important part of his now-pathetic life. He began shutting everybody out, and then he ended everything. Other than the personal letters that Kurt wrote, there isn't much else that a Nirvana fan hasn't heard seen before. There are some handwritten lyric sheets, but many fans have seen them in CAYA. This is a pretty good read, even for non-Nirvana fans as well (Kurt's vitriol-filled later writings confirm the fact he wasn't as kind as Rolling Stone and MTV tried to make people believe). Anyway, I recommend this book, but it's not something so good you'll want to read twice. Most public libraries stock Journals, so I say go for it.
on May 12, 2004
Many readers will have a different viewpoint on Kurt's diaries. This book is subject to personal taste. Regardless of your viewpoint, I believe that this can be considered one of the greatest autobiographies ever written. Nothing can give us an insight into one's life better than that one's own personal writings.
Throughout this book, we read the story of his life. His own writings let us see into his mind. We see his thoughts and hear his voice. The book starts off by telling us the story of an aspiring songwriter, lost in the world. Kurt is in the process of trying to start up his band. His sounds are "rough" sounding, his lyrics lack that certain punch necessary. It was a tough time. The record industries wouldn't notice him. After all, he was on the verge of developing a whole new era of music, the grunge era. This was new to the world, and Kurt struggled to make it visible.
The book continues on, as Kurt's lyrics begin to increase in strength. His band forms, and demos are made. From this point on, the plot of his diary is difficult to interpret. Some may even say there is none, I say otherwise. In my eyes, the plot of this story is simply the plot of life. It shows us that life isn't always easy. As we read about Kurt's struggles with music, love, and family, we learn that life isn't a piece of cake. We are shown that with hard work and determination, one can achieve anything they desire.
Later on in Kurt's diaries, we see him change the world. We see him overcome his struggles and completely change the music industry, as the world once knew it. His life was a success, but for some reason, it wasn't good enough for him. This is where the conflict comes into play. He was unable to accept the things that he did for the world. Perhaps it was invisible to him at this point; perhaps it was something that would take time to understand. Sadly, this was time that Kurt would not give himself. He committed suicide.
I found it very interesting to be there right along with Kurt's thoughts throughout his story. It really is incredible to look into Kurt's mind and be able to read what he was thinking, to be able to see his world. His world was an incredible place. His attitude, slightly hard to understand, is also quite out of our world.
If you've ever wanted to know what it would have been like to have been somebody famous, this book won't tell you. This book will teach you a valuable lesson though. It will teach you some lessons about life, and it will bring you closer to understanding why Kurd did the things he did. To put it simply, this book just might enable you to look at the world from Kurt's eyes, and that truly is an amazing thing. Definitely worth reading.
on April 6, 2004
Its pretty intresting to read this book because it does give you alittle insight of Kurts mind. Kurt was a caring, funny, artistic, wounderful person and this book does give you an insight on that. This book contains cartoons, letters, and songs he was working on at the time, and just some thoughts Kurt had on different issues. If your looking for proof of his thoughts of a depressed and suicidal person, you wont find them in this book at all. If you really wanna know the truth, Kurt only mentions suicide twice and hes referring to the past thoughts he had on it. The way he wrote in the journals is like he was writing to the person reading them, like he knew someone would be going through them. The beginning passage gives you that thought because he writes, "Iam going to work, dont read my journals when Iam gone.....Ok, im leaving now, read my jorunals and try to figure me out". Its hard to say what his feelings would be about someone reading his journals. I didnt think it was right at first to read them and swore I would never get the book but, I got the book for a gift for Christmas. So, I decided sence I already had it, I guess I would read it. Im glad I did, its a nice look into the mind of Kurt and you wont really end up judging him at all but, understanding him some. All in all, its a good read so decide for yourself if you want to buy it or not.
on April 2, 2004
I am a self-confessed maniac when it comes to Kur(d)t Cobain, I am eager to accept conspiracy theories on possible involvement of Courtney Love in his death, (mostly to soothe my own personal feeling of loss) I believe it was a selfish and greedy move of marketing to sell these copies of eclectic journals to a still-mourning public, but the thing is: we're told to get over it, and we just can't. These journals can help condole the Cobain fan, it also offers insight into his life.
First of all, this book is filled with handwritten journals, (easily read if you are a chicken-scratcher like me) full of humor, depression, and early song lyrics, (see the early version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' (would it have been a hit had it been released with the given lyrics?)) and irony.
One of the most fascinating things in this book is that you really get an insight into how much he dreamed of Nirvana becoming stars, (ironical, because Cobain supposedly hated stardom).
The only bad thing about this book, is it feels like you're reading your best friend's journal, and while you know you won't get caught, you secretly wonder whether he'd be mad. Also, I believe Courntey f'in Love has probably tampered with these writings.
This book is an insight into Generation X's John Lennon. If you read it, you'll judge.
on January 3, 2004
I too hesitated when I saw this book in the bookstore. Was reading it an invasion of privacy? In my childhood I was taught that reading the journal of another without permission was a despicable act. However, this man fascinated me, and I was deeply moved by the opportunity to learn about the human being that he was rather than the icon he became. I suppose I justified reading it by the fact that I have kept detailed and very personal journals for 26 years and while I am a very private person, I have kept these journals with the knowledge that one day, in all likelihood, they would be read by someone else. As one who journals I do it knowing that if I put my thoughts outside of myself in this way, I accept the possibility (fact) that they will be read at some time or another. I would never claim to know what another person (Kurt Cobain in this case) would think about this, but for me, this knowledge is a part of keeping a journal. While it will surely not be on the scale of Kurt Cobain, I will "live on" after I'm gone. A message in a bottle of sorts. Kurt Cobain had an intensely fascinating mind and as an artist and writer, I was glad to have had the opportunity to get a small glimpse of the creative process that produced the music that amazed me so.