5.0 out of 5 stars "I kick ass for the Lord!"
This movie has it all. It has to be one of the funniest, bloodiest, most enjoyable horror movies I've ever seen. Don't go into it expecting to be scared...it won't frighten you in the least. But it works wonderfully as a campy, blood-splattered ode to zombie movies.
Published on June 25 2004 by Allison Mansfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Great....but gory you say?...disgusting, you say?
Published on May 1 2004 by ...

5.0 out of 5 stars "I kick ass for the Lord!", June 25 2004
Allison Mansfield (North Babylon, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
The actors completely nail their quirky characters, and the entire movie is peppered with hilarious, memorable lines such as "I kick ass for the Lord!" and "Your mother just ate my dog!" Not to mention the all-out gorefest which includes an unfortunate bowl of pus pudding, two love-struck zombies getting it on, and an all-out finale involving a roomful of partying zombies, one remaining human, and a lawnmower.
If you only like straight horror movies, and like to be frightened by what you watch, this movie is not for you. If you can handle buckets of gore and manage to laugh while watching it, DEFINITELY give Dead Alive a chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars *staring at television screen*, Oct. 24 2002
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
Many of you will assume I often found myself saying the words spoken above because of the often painful depictions of bodily dismemberment that have saturated Peter Jackson's ambitious zombie massacre movie. And to some extent, you would be correct. But I say this also because of the aweful DVD release from trimark, who have yet to prove themselves as an even halfway decent DVD studio. For those of you who don't know me, you are probably unaware that I grade based on the movie and the DVD. the movie gets *** out of *** for being the greatest movie ever made (I know, I say that a lot), but the DVD merits only * out of ** for being so pathetic (although it could be worse). The audio and video is bearable, mind you (no more, no less), but the features include a trailer and...a trailer. For a movie this adored by fans of the genre, I find this a great disturbance in the force. Even so, I must recommend this DVD for the film itself, which is so great that it deserves a special award for "Best gore-fest that redefines modern horror cinema and is so bold and creative that it should merit a deluxe DVD treatment so that we can make it's ardent fans vomitous with pleasure." The movie really is that good, and If you can stomach the last twenty minutes (not to mention the fist seventy) you should be "peffectly arwightt."

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead and/or alive, Feb. 22 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
Currently Peter Jackson is reknowned for his fantasy movies and exceptional cult remakes. But once upon a time, he was better known for splatter-gore horror movies, like the "Dead Alive," a bizarrely hilarious movie full of zombies, rat-monkeys and messy death. Glorious!

Lionel (Timothy Balme) is a downtrodden young man, who has the unpleasant honor of caring for his nasty mum (Elizabeth Moody). Then he meets store clerk Paquita (Diana Peñalver), and the two young people fall in love. Unfortunately, during a date to the zoo, his mom follows them so she can wreck his date.

She succeeds, sort of -- she gets bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey from Skull Island (the same one where Kong came from?) and dies. But poor Lionel can't get off that easily -- because of the bite, his mom comes back to life as a flesh-eating zombie. Soon zombies are running amok, and Lionel and Paquita must find a way to get rid of them. Can true love triumph over the undead?

Be forewarned: this movie is gross. Very disgusting. Lots of fluids and body parts, and zombies eating people in detail. And the whole movie climaxes with hundreds of zombies crashing a party, and a spectacularly gory sequence involving a, uh, lawnmower and chainsaw.

But gore alone doesn't make a movie a cult hit -- any idiot can make a zombie movie. This one is special because of Jackson's twisted sense of humor; "Shaun of the Dead" definitely owes a stylistic debt to him. How many movies do you see where a character tries to clean up the blood after Zombie Mom has lunch?

Jackson sprinkles his 1950s setting with all sorts of weird characters -- a kung-fu reverend and a Nazi vet among them. He takes every weird zombie scenario and runs with it, whether it's Lionel babysitting a hyper zombie baby or the Reverend McGruder announcing, "I kick ass for the Lord!" or "Stand back boy! This calls for some divine intervention!"

But the movie is also notable for a very touching love story, between Lionel and Paquita -- and like any good hero, Lionel has to overcome obstacles (the zombies and Mum) before they can live happily ever after. Both actors do very solid jobs, and Balme really makes us like his downtrodden mama's boy, especially once Lionel picks up that lawnmower.

"Dead Alive" is a delightfully stomach-turning ride through a town full of zombies, body parts, and those ugly little buggers from Skull Island. Although it's not for the faint of stomach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Alive finally hits Blu ray, Nov. 12 2011
D. Beelik (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Alive [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is the REAL "Lawnmower Man!". Peter Jackson's low budget campy gore classic finally comes to Blu ray. It's not a perfect transfer but it's a huge step from the DVD. There's a bit of dust here and there but compared to the DVD the film is full frame on the screen (16 X 9), colors are much richer and the sound is a minor step up. The sound isn't very rich sounding and is only 2.0 but I'm still happy. If your a fan, this is a no-brainer upgrade. You'll be very happy with it. Hopefully the full "Braindead" (European/Asian name of the film) version will turn up in a region free blu ray disc soon with better sound, and the full movie intact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hyperactive, July 16 2004
"deadite78" (Fairbanks, Alaska USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
This has got to be one of my all time favorite movies. Camp, blood, ass kicking priests (who turn into lecherous zombies) and hyperative monster babies. It's just awesome. My only complaint is that it's edited all to hell, compared to the original New Zealand release, titled "Braindead."

5.0 out of 5 stars SWEET JESUS!!!!, July 13 2004
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
First of all it angers me to read reviews that state how it is not at all clever when it comes to the lawn mower scene. Come on, what more would you want from this genre of movies, if you guys dont think this is the least bit scary, rent the Care Bears movie, that might suite your likings. It cant get much gorrier then this, and definately graphic I might add. I will admit that the blood did look like pudding with red dye but thats to be expected. I could not ask for more. Peter Jackson, you rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Horror Romp, June 21 2004
"seven10ashbury" (Whittier, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
I saw Dead Alive when it was first released here on video. The box said it was the "bloodiest movie ever made", or at least words to that effect. So, I watched it. I thought it was more of a spoof-satire-sarcastic statement on how horror movies had degenerated since Halloween in 1978. I forget about it over the years and when Lord of the Rings came out and I heard the director's name my ears perked up. I couldn't place him, but I knew I'd seen Jackson's stuff before. Then I heard a blip about this movie and I was stunned that he made Dead Alive, and something as beautiful as the LOTR Trilogy.
Dead Alive is a great movie if you just want to kickback, laugh, gross yourself out, and potentially thorw up everything you've ever eaten. Like the baby food mom fed you when you were a wee-thing. I would rent it first, though, before you buy it. If Jackson never directs again (which he is) then Dead Alive and the LOTR Trilogy make fantastic bookends to his filmography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Look Out For the Lawnmower, May 18 2004
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead-Alive [Import] (VHS Tape)
Last week I returned from a meeting to find some movies awaiting me. One of them was Dead Alive. Dead Alive is a very silly film involving unstoppable zombies and a son's devotion to his mother with a healthy splash of love story.
The movie opens on Skull Island (home of King Kong, remember?) where a trapper is trying to get out with a captured monkey. The natives do not like the idea. We are then treated to the idea that if the monkey bites you then you have the bitten area amputated.
Enter a young Latin woman whose grandmother tells her future and that she will meet the man of her dreams very shortly. That man lives with his mother, a very distasteful woman. She spies on the two at a local zoo where they have just seen the Rat Monkey, a truly ugly specimen brought to life with stop motion animation. The monkey bites the mother and the movie is really underway; like a roller coaster.
Mother becomes even meaner and uglier and dies. But she won't stay down. Neither will anyone she kills. The son tries to keep it under control but the intervention of a greedy uncle really complicates matters.
The remainder is a really silly gore fest as the son gets things back in some semblance of order and the hundred zombies are stopped with some more interesting stop motion animation.
Like I said, very silly, but if you want a horror film that makes you laugh unintentionally, this is it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great....but gory you say?...disgusting, you say?, May 1 2004
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
I first watched this like 3 years ago after being a huge fan of meet the feebles and bad taste. I was very reluctant to see it after hearing all the rumors about it being the most disgusting movie ever or whatever, and I must say it wasn't very disgusting or gory at all..or at least not in the wayI expected it to be. But it IS very good though. this is another cult movie from Jackson which is many people's faovrite although it is not mine....The tapebox picture kicks ass though. Anyway, funny movie, cool tapebox Worth watching once or twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add a couple of stars to that rating, April 20 2004
This review is from: Dead Alive [Import] (DVD)
I love Dead Alive. Ever since I saw it, I have been looking for another movie of this genre that is as much fun. There is no such movie. Dead Alive is one of a kind.
The performances are dead on, there are some wonderful characters, (including a kung fu-fighting priest who declares, "I kick ass for the Lord!" before kicking some serious zombie booty)and the style and art direction are flawlessly executed. It's just one of those movies where you can tell that a vision was truly realized. This is a Peter Jackson film after all (let's all forget about The Fighteners.) As much as I liked Lord of the Rings, it is sad to think that Jackson probably won't ever make another movie like Dead Alive.

ARRAY(0xb2ca42f4)

Dead Alive [Import]
Dead Alive [Import] by Peter Jackson (DVD - 1998)
CDN$ 79.28