5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Contemporary Cozy
Published on July 31 2001 by Kent Braithwaite

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
I was very disappointed with this book after reading the rave reviews it received from other people here. It made me wonder whether the other reviewers were really reading the same plodding and cliche-ridden book I did.
Published on April 20 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, April 20 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Cloyingly cute, March 23 2004
By A Customer
This book really strains to be cloyingly cute. If marzipan could write, this is the kind of book it would produce.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply derivative and very disappointing, July 5 2003
I found this book extremely disappointing, particularly in view of the favorable reviews posted here. The characters and plotlines seem to have been put together with assorted pieces from a "write your own amateur sleuth mystery story " construction kit. While the author knows how to construct a sentence and shows some skill in painting over the joints, it does little to disguise the lack of originality or the woodenness of the characters, who just don't ring true. Characters are more than just a compendium of idioscynracies and borrowed props (like the inevitable cat). You never get the feeling that the author really believes in what he is writing, and that inevitably makes it difficult for the reader to go along with him or the situations and people he is writing about. Unless the characters have a life of their own, the story - however clever the plot construction - just doesn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Contemporary Cozy, July 31 2001
As a mystery writer with my first novel in initial release, I've heard quite a bit of conversation regarding Evan Marshall at mystery conventions at which I've appeared as an author. Mr. Marshall is a literary agent who launched his mystery series starring a literary agent with this book. Taking place in Shady Hills, New Jersey, Jane Stuart is the sleuth with a cat and several other hangers-on. In MISSING MARLENE, Jane and her people (including her cat)must find a missing person--Marlene. The book has a well-paced plot and enjoyable charcters. It is a thoroughly enjoyable contemporary cozy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise from this first time author., Nov. 25 2000
Josh Knazan (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
As somebody who's reading taste leans more towards thrillers and harder-edged mysteries, (Thomas Harris, Jeffery Deaver) I didn't think I would be that interested in a book about a woman and her cat. I was pretty surprised to find myself a few hours later, halfway through the book, and completely immersed in the storyline. Mr. Marshall has a way of describing the characters' personalities in a way that makes you feel like you know them. This book was a pleasant surprise from this first time author, and I looked forward to reading further work of his.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW!, Aug. 28 2000
Eliana Knazan (Pine Brook, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I have been an avid mystery reader for years, so when I discovered yet another new author, I wasn't sure what to think. Besides, what kind of dork would name his books using alliteration? An amazing author, that is who! Once I picked up this book, I could not put it down. A+ to Mr. Marshall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Paced, and FUN!!!, Aug. 3 2000
Marsha Kyrmse (Mifflinburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I don't read a lot of mystery books, but this one was a keeper! This book is fast paced, fun, and full of exciting twists. I recommend it to anyone who likes the suspense of mystery, but doesn't enjoy the darkness of most mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable debut!, July 19 2000
MISSING MARLENE introduces Jane Stuart, Nick, and Winky in their debut mystery. Jane is Nick's mother. She is also a literary agent. Winky is their feline cohort. Marlene is the nanny that Nick and Jane felt they could live without but hadn't expected it to happen so suddenly and suspiciously. Jane hired Marlene because she was the daughter of a friend, and when the nanny comes up missing, it's Jane who risks it all trying to find her.
What an impressive debut and cast of characters created by Evan Marshall. Through the mystery, we will meet those around Jane and her small family. Their stories are remarkably interwoven through the mystery without distracting from it. The plot is great, although one part of the storyline (the colorful part) has been touched on many times in other stories, the way Mr. Marshall uses it is just as attention-grabbing. Through the mystery and mayhem, Jane leads her readers to and fro to meet some interesting and unsavory characters and puts herself in some interesting situations. The rough and tumble showdown will leave you hanging until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Feb. 11 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Missing Marlene (Hardcover)
I loved this book! The story is engaging from the beginning and doesn't take you in a hundred different directions just to throw you off. Very well written, and I look forward to many more great books from this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious mystery! What a delight!, Feb. 8 2000
This review is from: Missing Marlene (Hardcover)
What a delight it is to read a mystery that focuses on plot and characters instead of gore and violence! I admit that I was stumped at guessing the villain. Now I look forward to the next one and the next one and the next one--I hope there are many! This is one author who will be on my list of favorites.

Missing Marlene
Missing Marlene by Evan Marshall (Hardcover - April 29 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01