5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice
If you want to learn how to make your life more productive this is a great book. If you procrastinate and can't find the time to get everything done this book will show you the steps to take to get over your procratination and on your way to a new way to live!
Published 1 month ago by Cheryl

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money; a waste of time
I don't write a lot of reviews, and I depend on Amazon reviews to help me have honest, non-biased opinion to help me spend my money. In that spirit, let me say that "Eat That Frog" is a complete waste of money. There are a number of good books on procrastination out there, but this book is not one of them.
What ideas this book may contain can all be...
Published on Nov. 21 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money; a waste of time, Nov. 21 2003
By A Customer
What ideas this book may contain can all be gleaned from the reviews already written here on Amazon. There's actually more substance in some of them than in the entire book itself. I found myself shaking my head and angrily turning every page, frustrated that Tracy could get away with publishing a book so completely devoid of content. Fortunately this book is short; it deserves to be a pamphlet. A very short pamphlet.
That's not completely fair. The book has content, but it's either embarrassingly common sense, or startlingly unoriginal. Add in the fact that Tracy writes like, well, a second-tier motivational speaker and there you've got it. For example, here's a sentence from chapter 9, "Refuse to allow a weakness or lack of ability in any area to hold you back." Does that motivate you? Does it help you in any way? Me neither. Fill 113 pages with large type and a lot of white space with this empty, thoughtless, and above all condescending blather and you, too, can write a motivational book.
Oh, and don't forget to fill ten pages with blatant self-promotion ("Double your income, Double your time off!") just to beef up the page count and make the book a little thicker.
Perhaps you really are a desperate procrastinator (like myself) who's looking for someone to help him out of his overwhelmingly negative habits. You want to find a book to help? I'll recommend two: Rita Emmett's "The Procrastinator's Handbook", which, while not original is at least honest and readable, which is more than you can say about "Frog."
Perhaps on the top of the list is David Allen's "Getting Things Done" which is the absolutely best, most practical, applicable, and sustainable system for overcoming procrastination I've ever read. And it's not even a book specifically about procrastination. Yet it works. Magic. Based on the advice in "Getting Things Done" I've finished my bachelor's degree -- 14 years after I first enrolled in college.
The short of it: don't waste a nickel on "Eat That Frog", and spend you money on one of many much, much, much better books. You deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, March 6 2014
This review is from: Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Jan. 24 2003
I have been a chronic procrastinator my entire life. After being hindered by this problem in college, I have made it a primary focus to overcome it as I enter the world of self-employment.
I saw three excellent things about this book:
1) A great system to help you overcome procrastination
When my girlfriend saw me reading this book, she said, "It's pointless to read a book about how not to procrastinate -- either you do it or you don't! What, is he going to give you strategies?"
Actually, that's exactly what Tracy does. I've done pretty much all of the things he suggested at one time or another -- make a list, write out your goals, plan out your day, etc. -- but he explains how to combine all these things together.
2) Clear, concise writing
I am so fed up with authors who blather on and on. This book gets it done in 113 pages of large type -- short and sweet. I especially like the way Tracy gets big ideas into short sentences -- I recall them in my head when I'm tempted to slip back to my old ways.
3) Positive attitude
Let me tell you, a life of procrastination can make a person feel pretty down -- about missed opportunities, failed obligations, etc. But Eat That Frog is positive without ever being condescending. Reading it actually got me excited about changing the way I do things.
Now, as any procrastinator knows, you can't just change in a day. I'm still not a model frog-eater myself. But I've seen definite improvement in my work habits since reading this book. My girlfriend has even relented and picked it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with a lot of Tracy-isms, July 13 2004
Please don't judge this book by it's size. Keep in mind that some of the all time best books were small; As A Man Thinketh, The Richest Man in Bablyon, Acres of Diamonds and more. If you are looking or were expecting one of Brian Tracy's huge 300 page books, you'll be dissappointed. But if you are looking for some nuggets of powerful information, you'll be very satisfied.
Brian is excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Management with a Really Ugly Metaphor, Nov. 20 2001
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Is life more fun when your are excited and motivated? Can you get more done then?
What idea do you think Mr. Tracy uses to get you in that mood? You can probably guess from the title. He wants you to think about your biggest and most important challenge (that you are most likely to put off) as a big, ugly, live frog that you are going to eat first thing every morning. Now, that should really turn you on! No? Well, I guess you're not bloodthirsty enough to make a big success then.
All kidding aside, except for the poor choice of metaphor this is a pretty good book. It combines in 21 rules the key points from many people who have written well about time management including Peter Drucker, Alex Mackenzie, Alan Lakein, and Stephen Covey. So you can save a lot of time by reading this book instead of many others.
I would like to compliment Mr. Tracy for giving full credit to most of those whose ideas he uses, which he did not always do in the books he wrote in the past.
The sections are short in this book, and many pages are blank. Most people could read this book without rushing in less than two hours.
You are encouraged to use all 21 rules, and there's an exercise at the end of each rule to help you get experience. He feels that following these rules for 21 days will be enough to form a new set of habits. Many behavioral researchers would argue that it takes longer.
Mr. Tracy has applied all 21 of these rules in his own life, and testifies to their effectiveness. His key message is to spend your working time on what will do you the most good and skip doing the rest, and he gives you several ideas to identify what those areas are and how to make psychological and skill progress in them. For example, you should first do those things that will make you more successful in the key aspects of your job. To get more time to work on self-improvement, give up on watching television and listen to audio tapes on these subjects while driving.
The book has three minor weaknesses. First, time management is viewed as a discipline . . . with little emphasis on the inspirational. If you had to do something unpleasant to save the life of your child, you would easily feel inspired to do so. If you had to do the same thing to meet a personal plan for self-improvement, would you be inspired enough? Although the book talks about getting inspired, it seems to rely on a taste for self-discipline that many lack.
Second, Mr. Tracy writes in aphorisms that are often not explained. As a result, it isn't always clear what he is talking about. The material is highly condensed in this way, and you will often wonder why he is telling you what he is telling you. For example, he tells you to stay away from white flour. Now, unless you have read a lot about how white flour affects your blood chemistry to cause your blood sugar to crash and make you feel tired while your body burns less fat so you gain weight (which also makes you more sluggish), you would never be quite sure what all this has to do with time management
Third, Mr. Tracy's 21 rules could have easily been condensed into many fewer, which would have made them easier to remember and saved you time in learning how to apply them. He also projects many personal preferences onto everyone else. For example, he wants to be sure that you sit up straight as you work. I couldn't quite figure out how that helps with time management. Maybe you avoid having to see a chiropractor, and that saves time.
What is your idea of a compelling life? What would create a compelling life for you? What are you not yet doing that's necessary? Learn to hesitate to procrastinate about those things, then!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one new idea, not one orginal thought, Dec 27 2002
H. Trivedi "read_now" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Oh, man! What a waste of money this was.
It is a 2 paragraph thought sold for 20 bucks. And those 2 paragraphs do not contain one new idea. If you have ever read any book on setting goals or time management, save your money on this one.
The essence of the book is:
Identify your long term goal.
List all your tasks and align them to the long term goal.
Do the ones that are required to achieve that long term goal urgently and ignore the ones that do not help you reach that goal.
If you really need to read every word, get it from the library and save yourself some money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat That Frog!, Sept. 25 2009
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
There's just never enough time in a day. We try to manage our time better. We make lists. We work longer hours. Still, the work just never seems to get done.

Right off, Eat That Frog! states that no amount of organization or hard work is going to make us more productive. There are so many hours in the day. That can't be changed.

Instead, we need to look at our work differently. Not only do we have to prioritize but we have to do so properly. It won't help to do a hundred things in a day if these activities aren't actually creating revenue or aren't the best use of our time. Instead, we have to find that one task that is most important to do each day and complete it, even if that job isn't glamorous or fun. It might even be plain ugly (hence eat that frog). From there, we can eat the next biggest frog and so on.

Essentially, Eat That Frog! shows us how to clarify our vision. Then, we can make the best use of our time. Most of what we do each day is a waste of time anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Not Rocket Science, Aug. 26 2008
I couldn't think of a more apt title for this book. We all know that procrastination is what holds us back from being successful. Sadly it's often the hardest most disagreeable tasks that get the best results. This book is not reinventing the wheel but a quick read that teaches you simple principles that make all the difference. The main idea being if you tackle your worst job first the rest of the day should be relatively painless.

Sure the print is large and the book is thin but how much do you need to read to realize you've got to get out there and do your work? It's common sense.

I liked the book it was just what I needed when my motivation was flagging. I figure the cost is worth what you get back and it wouldn't hurt anyone to read it once a year to stay on track. I actually also have the audio book and it fills a long drive nicely.

Danielle Millar, Glenn Simon Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Size doesn't matter., Feb. 25 2006
By A Customer
Eat that frog is only 125 pages and 12 chapters, but it is jam packed with powerful information that will help you overcome procrastination and reach your goals. Eat that Frog is like a personal coach that you can refer you again and again.
I would also recommend-' George Quest '.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, March 10 2002
By A Customer
I was very disappointed with this book. Usually anything written by Tracey is motivating. Everything in this book was coined by someone else. Absolutely nothing new and a total waste of my money.

ARRAY(0xba35b294)