5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
I have been a chronic procrastinator my entire life. After being hindered by this problem in college, I have made it a primary focus to overcome it as I enter the world of self-employment.
I saw three excellent things about this book:
1) A great system to help you overcome procrastination
When my girlfriend saw me reading this book, she said, "It's...
Published on Jan. 24 2003 by Nicholas Kruse

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Management with a Really Ugly Metaphor
Is life more fun when your are excited and motivated? Can you get more done then?
Published on Nov. 20 2001 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Jan. 24 2003
I saw three excellent things about this book:
1) A great system to help you overcome procrastination
When my girlfriend saw me reading this book, she said, "It's pointless to read a book about how not to procrastinate -- either you do it or you don't! What, is he going to give you strategies?"
Actually, that's exactly what Tracy does. I've done pretty much all of the things he suggested at one time or another -- make a list, write out your goals, plan out your day, etc. -- but he explains how to combine all these things together.
2) Clear, concise writing
I am so fed up with authors who blather on and on. This book gets it done in 113 pages of large type -- short and sweet. I especially like the way Tracy gets big ideas into short sentences -- I recall them in my head when I'm tempted to slip back to my old ways.
3) Positive attitude
Let me tell you, a life of procrastination can make a person feel pretty down -- about missed opportunities, failed obligations, etc. But Eat That Frog is positive without ever being condescending. Reading it actually got me excited about changing the way I do things.
Now, as any procrastinator knows, you can't just change in a day. I'm still not a model frog-eater myself. But I've seen definite improvement in my work habits since reading this book. My girlfriend has even relented and picked it up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Management with a Really Ugly Metaphor, Nov. 20 2001
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
What idea do you think Mr. Tracy uses to get you in that mood? You can probably guess from the title. He wants you to think about your biggest and most important challenge (that you are most likely to put off) as a big, ugly, live frog that you are going to eat first thing every morning. Now, that should really turn you on! No? Well, I guess you're not bloodthirsty enough to make a big success then.
All kidding aside, except for the poor choice of metaphor this is a pretty good book. It combines in 21 rules the key points from many people who have written well about time management including Peter Drucker, Alex Mackenzie, Alan Lakein, and Stephen Covey. So you can save a lot of time by reading this book instead of many others.
I would like to compliment Mr. Tracy for giving full credit to most of those whose ideas he uses, which he did not always do in the books he wrote in the past.
The sections are short in this book, and many pages are blank. Most people could read this book without rushing in less than two hours.
You are encouraged to use all 21 rules, and there's an exercise at the end of each rule to help you get experience. He feels that following these rules for 21 days will be enough to form a new set of habits. Many behavioral researchers would argue that it takes longer.
Mr. Tracy has applied all 21 of these rules in his own life, and testifies to their effectiveness. His key message is to spend your working time on what will do you the most good and skip doing the rest, and he gives you several ideas to identify what those areas are and how to make psychological and skill progress in them. For example, you should first do those things that will make you more successful in the key aspects of your job. To get more time to work on self-improvement, give up on watching television and listen to audio tapes on these subjects while driving.
The book has three minor weaknesses. First, time management is viewed as a discipline . . . with little emphasis on the inspirational. If you had to do something unpleasant to save the life of your child, you would easily feel inspired to do so. If you had to do the same thing to meet a personal plan for self-improvement, would you be inspired enough? Although the book talks about getting inspired, it seems to rely on a taste for self-discipline that many lack.
Second, Mr. Tracy writes in aphorisms that are often not explained. As a result, it isn't always clear what he is talking about. The material is highly condensed in this way, and you will often wonder why he is telling you what he is telling you. For example, he tells you to stay away from white flour. Now, unless you have read a lot about how white flour affects your blood chemistry to cause your blood sugar to crash and make you feel tired while your body burns less fat so you gain weight (which also makes you more sluggish), you would never be quite sure what all this has to do with time management
Third, Mr. Tracy's 21 rules could have easily been condensed into many fewer, which would have made them easier to remember and saved you time in learning how to apply them. He also projects many personal preferences onto everyone else. For example, he wants to be sure that you sit up straight as you work. I couldn't quite figure out how that helps with time management. Maybe you avoid having to see a chiropractor, and that saves time.
What is your idea of a compelling life? What would create a compelling life for you? What are you not yet doing that's necessary? Learn to hesitate to procrastinate about those things, then!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with a lot of Tracy-isms, July 13 2004
Please don't judge this book by it's size. Keep in mind that some of the all time best books were small; As A Man Thinketh, The Richest Man in Bablyon, Acres of Diamonds and more. If you are looking or were expecting one of Brian Tracy's huge 300 page books, you'll be dissappointed. But if you are looking for some nuggets of powerful information, you'll be very satisfied.
Brian is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars KERMIT THE FROG?, March 20 2004
Yes. The Muppet's Kermit the Frog sang one song titled "It's not easy being green". After reading Brian Tracy's book, you'll be singing "It's not easy to continue being a procrastinator now"!
This book contains 21 wonderful chapters. Each chapter is like a different store in a Mall called the "Action Now Mall". Some days you need something from a store. Some other day you need something from some other store. Well. Same thing happens with Mr. Tracy's book. Just keep it near yor personal workspace. And use it like that. Consult it and put it away. As many times as you need it. As many times as you would go to the Mall.
So, don't pay attention to other reviewers saying this book is a waste of money. This book is NOT a novel. It's not even intended to be read from start to finish in a single night. This books is like a reference text or a manual or an instruction booklet. YOU NEED THIS BOOK IF YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO STOP PROCRASTINATING NOW.
Carlos Sicilia, Caracas, Venezuela

5.0 out of 5 stars I now actually look forward to my plate of frog every mornin, Sept. 13 2003
Stephen Cords (Brockton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Great title, great information, great book.
I was one of the worst procrastinators on the planet until I got this book. A set of stairs outside my home that needed fixing actually got to the point that they were dangerous before I went out, ripped them off and replaced them. Why? I feared the frog that lived there. I was convinced that the project would take a full day (at least) and would probably need a professional carpenter before I was through. I read this book and decided that the stairs were my first frog. That sucker slid down my throat in an hour and a half and the stairs are strong and attractive.
In case you haven't gotten the analogy yet (or read about the book in the editorial review), the frog of the title represents the biggest, worst, most dreaded task on your plate for any given day. If you put it off and put it off it's possible to worry about the the job longer than it will take to finish it. Even worse, the frog may grow because you've let it go for so long and then swallowing the damnable amphibian becomes nigh impossible.
There are loads of other great information on how to determine what your particular frog may be, the best way to approach it and other time management techniques included as well, but the title really says it all. After the frog goes down the hatch the rest of the day is yours. Open wide and say ribbit!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, motivational, concise., Aug. 20 2003
JWH (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
In "Eat that Frog," motivational speaker and author Brian Tracy supplies 21 recommendations for better time management to be more productive with less procrastinating. Although it took me over a year to actually get around to reading this book after I purchased it, once I had read it I found it to be both entertaining and helpful. The clever theme from which the title is derived is the premise that if you start your day by "eating a live frog" you know that the most unpleasant part of the day is behind you. By metaphor, the same principle applies if you tackle the most difficult or unpleasant task of the day first. These tend to be the most important tasks, but often the very same tasks that we avoid or procrastinate upon. Since nothing is gained by staring at the frog, you might as well eat and get it over with. This cutesy presentation is actually amusing and entertaining and makes for light and enjoyable reading. Although much of what the author presents is rather intuitive and obvious, such as breaking large daunting tasking into multiple smaller and more manageable tasks, the reader inspired to read this material will find additional motivation within its pages. Since reading the book about six months ago, I have been more productive at tasks that I NEED to do, but don't WANT to do. Simple advice is often the best advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Procrastinating!, July 20 2003
Rich M. (Union, KY United States) - See all my reviews
'Eat That Frog', by Brian Tracy, is an excellent book on ceasing procrastination and on time management. While I'm not personally a procrastinator, and this problem seems to have a straightforward solution (it does -- 'stop worrying about it and just do it'), many otherwise intelligent people are plagued with this problem to some degree. In this short (113 pages in hardback), easy-to-read book, Mr. Tracy urges his readers to tackle the least-desirable, hardest task first, rather than putting it off in favor of completing easy, less important tasks. (That what the title refers to -- if one has to eat an ugly frog, he should do it immediately, so that he doesn't spend all day worrying about it.) He then goes through the typical time management strategies of Pareto and quad-based prioritization, division of large tasks into smaller component tasks, etc.
Fortunately, since it's short and easy-to-read (should take maybe an hour or so), even the worst procrastinator will probably get around to reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 4 2003
Liora Hess "ReviewsAtLioraHessDotCom" (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Eat that Frog is an excellent motivational book. The complaints I see by most here are along the lines that there's nothing new in this book. To me, there's nothing new in MOST self help books. After all, we each know that the way to stop procrastinating is to just do what we dread, the way to lose weight is to burn off more calories than we consume, the way to keep house is to clean and organize on a regular basis, and so on. What we seek is some motivation and some reasoning for doing what we dislike doing.
Brian Tracy gives this motivation and reasoning. This is a short, fast read. As the author says, it doesn't go into all the psychology of procrastination; rather, it gets right to the action. Brian Tracy covers such things as determining priorities, delegating and eliminating some tasks, knowing what's okay to procrastinate about, and whether to tackle your "frog" (your big task that will lend the greatest results) first or a lesser priority task.
The result is a clear, concise book that is helpful and shows that by regularly eating your frogs first, you develop a habit that makes it easier to accomplish more than the average person and do it with increasingly less effort. An excellent, worthwhile book that you will likely refer to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A froggie a day..., Dec 19 2002
This book is really quite simple but was just what I needed.
I had previously read Covey Leadership Center's "First Things First" time management and liked it, but found it cumbersome to go through the whole planning process. I would have great intentions and try to stay on track, but then get distracted and bogged down again. Complicated planning processes don't always work for us procrastinators!
Tracy's book is much simpler but it actually has been much more effective for me. I liked the imagery of a big, green, bulgey-eyed frog representing my most important task that I really wanted to procrastinate. My husband and I now have fun laughing about which "big frogs" are hopping around our desk! For some reason, it really helps me focus and get a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I have eaten my "daily froggie".
Now every day I concentrate on just indentifying my "frog" task and making sure it gets done. If I do only that, my effectiveness goes up for all the other tasks as well. Amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars QUICK, EASTY READING!, Feb. 27 2002
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book does not make for in-depth reading; however, the helpful hints and techniques found here are certainly worth reading. Personally, I would have preferred to see these suggestion expanded upon in greater detail. This book will be particularly helpful for those readers who want a quick, easy read. Those who find it difficult to set priorities, finish tasks, make the best use of their time and are winners at procrastination will benefit the most. We all have our moments of procrastination, and we live in such a fast-paced society with so many obligations that fall upon us. It is no wonder we are stressed to the max and can never find enough hours in a day to do all the things that need to be addressed.
While this little book is not going to solve all one's problems in time management, it is a helpful guide that may allow us gain more control over our lives, make the best use of our time and, perhaps, reduce some of our day-to-day stress. As I often tell my clients, "Each of us has 1,440 minutes in each day to accomplish our tasks, with the exception of the day we are born and the day we die. For some reason, time management is not a priority on either of those days!" Like all good advice, the suggestions in this book will only work if one is committed to putting into action the advice that is given.

Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
CDN$ 17.12 CDN$ 12.78