5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
I have been a chronic procrastinator my entire life. After being hindered by this problem in college, I have made it a primary focus to overcome it as I enter the world of self-employment.
I saw three excellent things about this book:
1) A great system to help you overcome procrastination
When my girlfriend saw me reading this book, she said, "It's...
Published on Jan. 24 2003 by Nicholas Kruse

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Management with a Really Ugly Metaphor
Is life more fun when your are excited and motivated? Can you get more done then?
Published on Nov. 20 2001 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Jan. 24 2003
I saw three excellent things about this book:
1) A great system to help you overcome procrastination
When my girlfriend saw me reading this book, she said, "It's pointless to read a book about how not to procrastinate -- either you do it or you don't! What, is he going to give you strategies?"
Actually, that's exactly what Tracy does. I've done pretty much all of the things he suggested at one time or another -- make a list, write out your goals, plan out your day, etc. -- but he explains how to combine all these things together.
2) Clear, concise writing
I am so fed up with authors who blather on and on. This book gets it done in 113 pages of large type -- short and sweet. I especially like the way Tracy gets big ideas into short sentences -- I recall them in my head when I'm tempted to slip back to my old ways.
3) Positive attitude
Let me tell you, a life of procrastination can make a person feel pretty down -- about missed opportunities, failed obligations, etc. But Eat That Frog is positive without ever being condescending. Reading it actually got me excited about changing the way I do things.
Now, as any procrastinator knows, you can't just change in a day. I'm still not a model frog-eater myself. But I've seen definite improvement in my work habits since reading this book. My girlfriend has even relented and picked it up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Management with a Really Ugly Metaphor, Nov. 20 2001
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
What idea do you think Mr. Tracy uses to get you in that mood? You can probably guess from the title. He wants you to think about your biggest and most important challenge (that you are most likely to put off) as a big, ugly, live frog that you are going to eat first thing every morning. Now, that should really turn you on! No? Well, I guess you're not bloodthirsty enough to make a big success then.
All kidding aside, except for the poor choice of metaphor this is a pretty good book. It combines in 21 rules the key points from many people who have written well about time management including Peter Drucker, Alex Mackenzie, Alan Lakein, and Stephen Covey. So you can save a lot of time by reading this book instead of many others.
I would like to compliment Mr. Tracy for giving full credit to most of those whose ideas he uses, which he did not always do in the books he wrote in the past.
The sections are short in this book, and many pages are blank. Most people could read this book without rushing in less than two hours.
You are encouraged to use all 21 rules, and there's an exercise at the end of each rule to help you get experience. He feels that following these rules for 21 days will be enough to form a new set of habits. Many behavioral researchers would argue that it takes longer.
Mr. Tracy has applied all 21 of these rules in his own life, and testifies to their effectiveness. His key message is to spend your working time on what will do you the most good and skip doing the rest, and he gives you several ideas to identify what those areas are and how to make psychological and skill progress in them. For example, you should first do those things that will make you more successful in the key aspects of your job. To get more time to work on self-improvement, give up on watching television and listen to audio tapes on these subjects while driving.
The book has three minor weaknesses. First, time management is viewed as a discipline . . . with little emphasis on the inspirational. If you had to do something unpleasant to save the life of your child, you would easily feel inspired to do so. If you had to do the same thing to meet a personal plan for self-improvement, would you be inspired enough? Although the book talks about getting inspired, it seems to rely on a taste for self-discipline that many lack.
Second, Mr. Tracy writes in aphorisms that are often not explained. As a result, it isn't always clear what he is talking about. The material is highly condensed in this way, and you will often wonder why he is telling you what he is telling you. For example, he tells you to stay away from white flour. Now, unless you have read a lot about how white flour affects your blood chemistry to cause your blood sugar to crash and make you feel tired while your body burns less fat so you gain weight (which also makes you more sluggish), you would never be quite sure what all this has to do with time management
Third, Mr. Tracy's 21 rules could have easily been condensed into many fewer, which would have made them easier to remember and saved you time in learning how to apply them. He also projects many personal preferences onto everyone else. For example, he wants to be sure that you sit up straight as you work. I couldn't quite figure out how that helps with time management. Maybe you avoid having to see a chiropractor, and that saves time.
What is your idea of a compelling life? What would create a compelling life for you? What are you not yet doing that's necessary? Learn to hesitate to procrastinate about those things, then!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat That Frog!, Sept. 25 2009
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time (Paperback)
There's just never enough time in a day. We try to manage our time better. We make lists. We work longer hours. Still, the work just never seems to get done.

Right off, Eat That Frog! states that no amount of organization or hard work is going to make us more productive. There are so many hours in the day. That can't be changed.

Instead, we need to look at our work differently. Not only do we have to prioritize but we have to do so properly. It won't help to do a hundred things in a day if these activities aren't actually creating revenue or aren't the best use of our time. Instead, we have to find that one task that is most important to do each day and complete it, even if that job isn't glamorous or fun. It might even be plain ugly (hence eat that frog). From there, we can eat the next biggest frog and so on.

Essentially, Eat That Frog! shows us how to clarify our vision. Then, we can make the best use of our time. Most of what we do each day is a waste of time anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with a lot of Tracy-isms, July 13 2004
Please don't judge this book by it's size. Keep in mind that some of the all time best books were small; As A Man Thinketh, The Richest Man in Bablyon, Acres of Diamonds and more. If you are looking or were expecting one of Brian Tracy's huge 300 page books, you'll be dissappointed. But if you are looking for some nuggets of powerful information, you'll be very satisfied.
Brian is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Not Rocket Science, Aug. 26 2008
Glenn Simon Inc "Writer of Edmonton Real Esta... (Edmonton, Alberta / Tochigi, Japan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I couldn't think of a more apt title for this book. We all know that procrastination is what holds us back from being successful. Sadly it's often the hardest most disagreeable tasks that get the best results. This book is not reinventing the wheel but a quick read that teaches you simple principles that make all the difference. The main idea being if you tackle your worst job first the rest of the day should be relatively painless.

Sure the print is large and the book is thin but how much do you need to read to realize you've got to get out there and do your work? It's common sense.

I liked the book it was just what I needed when my motivation was flagging. I figure the cost is worth what you get back and it wouldn't hurt anyone to read it once a year to stay on track. I actually also have the audio book and it fills a long drive nicely.

Danielle Millar, Glenn Simon Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the worst thing first thing, Jan. 31 2008
I study time, efficiency and effectiveness so you would think I do not have a problem with procrastination but sometimes I do. So, of course, I bought a book.

The title comes from do the worst thing first thing and the rest of the day is easy. My modification to this is to creat more than one first thing - eg first thing after lunch. First thing after dinner etc.

"Eat that Frog - 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less time" by Brian Tracy.

It is a short and easy read. Good book. I did not put off reading it - I read it instead of cleaning up my den. As the title suggests, it has lots of ideas on how to get over procrastination.

Brian Tracy is one of the most prolific self development authors and speakers. His stuff is good, although sometimes too shallow.

One quote from the book:

"There is one quality that one must possess to win and that is a definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to achieve it"

By Napoleon Hill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat That Frog, Feb. 5 2007
Do the worst thing first thing, December 29, 2006

One quote from the book:

5.0 out of 5 stars KERMIT THE FROG?, March 20 2004
Yes. The Muppet's Kermit the Frog sang one song titled "It's not easy being green". After reading Brian Tracy's book, you'll be singing "It's not easy to continue being a procrastinator now"!
This book contains 21 wonderful chapters. Each chapter is like a different store in a Mall called the "Action Now Mall". Some days you need something from a store. Some other day you need something from some other store. Well. Same thing happens with Mr. Tracy's book. Just keep it near yor personal workspace. And use it like that. Consult it and put it away. As many times as you need it. As many times as you would go to the Mall.
So, don't pay attention to other reviewers saying this book is a waste of money. This book is NOT a novel. It's not even intended to be read from start to finish in a single night. This books is like a reference text or a manual or an instruction booklet. YOU NEED THIS BOOK IF YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO STOP PROCRASTINATING NOW.
Carlos Sicilia, Caracas, Venezuela

5.0 out of 5 stars I now actually look forward to my plate of frog every mornin, Sept. 13 2003
Stephen Cords (Brockton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Great title, great information, great book.
I was one of the worst procrastinators on the planet until I got this book. A set of stairs outside my home that needed fixing actually got to the point that they were dangerous before I went out, ripped them off and replaced them. Why? I feared the frog that lived there. I was convinced that the project would take a full day (at least) and would probably need a professional carpenter before I was through. I read this book and decided that the stairs were my first frog. That sucker slid down my throat in an hour and a half and the stairs are strong and attractive.
In case you haven't gotten the analogy yet (or read about the book in the editorial review), the frog of the title represents the biggest, worst, most dreaded task on your plate for any given day. If you put it off and put it off it's possible to worry about the the job longer than it will take to finish it. Even worse, the frog may grow because you've let it go for so long and then swallowing the damnable amphibian becomes nigh impossible.
There are loads of other great information on how to determine what your particular frog may be, the best way to approach it and other time management techniques included as well, but the title really says it all. After the frog goes down the hatch the rest of the day is yours. Open wide and say ribbit!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, motivational, concise., Aug. 20 2003
JWH (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
In "Eat that Frog," motivational speaker and author Brian Tracy supplies 21 recommendations for better time management to be more productive with less procrastinating. Although it took me over a year to actually get around to reading this book after I purchased it, once I had read it I found it to be both entertaining and helpful. The clever theme from which the title is derived is the premise that if you start your day by "eating a live frog" you know that the most unpleasant part of the day is behind you. By metaphor, the same principle applies if you tackle the most difficult or unpleasant task of the day first. These tend to be the most important tasks, but often the very same tasks that we avoid or procrastinate upon. Since nothing is gained by staring at the frog, you might as well eat and get it over with. This cutesy presentation is actually amusing and entertaining and makes for light and enjoyable reading. Although much of what the author presents is rather intuitive and obvious, such as breaking large daunting tasking into multiple smaller and more manageable tasks, the reader inspired to read this material will find additional motivation within its pages. Since reading the book about six months ago, I have been more productive at tasks that I NEED to do, but don't WANT to do. Simple advice is often the best advice.

CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40