5.0 out of 5 stars Find God through beginning/renewing a Childlike Faith
Published on Feb. 17 2000 by Timothy P. Sandifer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, quick read...
Granted, I'm a college student and not a parent, I still appreciated this book for it's attempts to explore "childlike faith" and rediscover that that is where God wants us all to be.
Published on July 21 2003 by NGK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Find God through beginning/renewing a Childlike Faith, Feb. 17 2000
Timothy P. Sandifer "?" (Godfrey, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
Through his Youth Specialties publications, previous work in THE DOOR magazine, and other writings, Mike Yaconelli has always tackled issues in very fresh, non-conventional ways. His willingness to challenge us to see things differently has enabled me to continue to believe that God is worth pursuing, even when most Christians were unknowingly persuading me otherwise. The same holds true here in this incredibly powerful book.
If you are tired of hearing the same cliches and thoughtless pragmatism of most current Christian authors (such as "5 Easy Steps to a Happy, Spirit-Filled Life"), let Mike help you rediscover the true nature of what Christianity is intended to be. Mike highlights the importance of doubt, questions, wonder, mystery, passion, honesty, and "wild abandon" to God... themes that are seldom spoken of in Christian circles today but are in desperate need of inclusion. Christians who may have become stale (and boring) in their persuit of God can rediscover the joy and wonder of what drew them to Christ in the first place. And for new or potential Christians who may not be corrupted yet by the current version of happy, quick-fix, Americanized Christianity, here's a chance for you to start on the right foot. Skip the fluffy stuff. Yac is back.

5.0 out of 5 stars God I challenge you to a game of Hide and Seek!, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder The Adventure od Childlike Faith (Paperback)
Hey all,
This is an amazing book. However if you are looking for a deep thelogical description of what a child like faith is this book isn't for you. For that matter if you want anything deep and theological, find a different author. Mike writes for your everday people. He writings are for people who want a break from acadamia and want somthing that is just plain and simple.
This book capture real life examples of childlike faith. It show how boring life is with out the carefreeness of childhood. It makes you want to go out and revive the passion and naivity of childhood. It makes you long to play with God.
I love this book it made me realize that my life is boring and needs some passion in it. I have long ingored the call of My savior to come out and play. I have grown accustomed to the noise of this world and have forgotten what the quiet wisper of God sound like. If you can relate then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars want to build a sandcastle?, Sept. 24 2003
Johnny Bradford "irish exile" (Manteca, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
This book is truely amazing. I read it in three sittings, desperately trying to squeeze in a few more pages when supposed to be working! It left me crying out for more as I reluctantly finished. Yaconelli has a genuine gift in story-telling and illustrates his thoughts with heartwarming tales. Some stories are hilarious, others sad, but you can't help but be moved by these pictures of the simplicity of God's love for undeserving scum like us. Theologically it's sound. The beauty of Dangerous Wonder is the style in which Yaconelli writes - continually finding God in everyday occurances, in creation, in children. This book reawakened my senses to the youthful idealism and energy of childhood, which although I have never lost, is constantly under seige from the dullness of life and the daily routine. Thank you Mike, I feel recharged again, ready to build more sandcastles and enjoy coloring! Never lose the wonder.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read that will make you think..., Oct. 23 2000
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
I read this book in one day, so that say something about how well-written and interesting it is. It brought back long-forgotten childhood memories. We really do lose our sense of wonder as we get older, even if we fight doing so. This book leads you to think childlike thoughts again, to see how big the world really is, and to remember how fun it is to color outside of the lines. While reading, I remembered adventures in the summer sun and the fun of making believe on the playground in kindergarten. And I started thinking that maybe life could be fun again.

I wouldn't say that this book is an incredible life-changer. But it will *enrich* your life. It will get your creativity bubbling and your excitement stirred. It will remind you of your dreams, and it will make you wonder why you gave them up along the way. This book is worth buying!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, quick read..., July 21 2003
NGK "NGK" (Mt. Washington, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
I've been fascinated with the "childlike faith" idea for the past few years now, and this book is a nice glimpse into that idea with a variety of simplistic reflections that don't complicate things, but rather, tell life how it is.
Many people come to Christian living books with expectations to take them deep, deep and deeper, and are disappointed when they don't "feel" like that the book was that deep. However, I don't think Mike writes simply for fun...he does so to help us understand that we don't have to use big words to impress God...b/c a child-sized heart is big enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read...You Won't Be Disappointed!, Dec 29 1999
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
Dangerous Wonder was recommended to our Bible study class and I am glad that I read it. It encourages us not to display child-like behavior; however, to have child-like faith. Do you remember feeling like your Mama and Daddy would always take care of you no matter what? This book compounds this feeling a million times by reminding us of how much God loves us and is looking after us. I was raised in a Christian home, by very loving parents and went to church regularly, yet somehow missed the magnitude of Christ's love for us. Think about Jesus' outstretched arms on the cross as his way of saying, "I love you thiiiiiis much!"ÿ

4.0 out of 5 stars Thankful for this book, Oct. 30 2003
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
I just learned that Mike Yaconelli died in an auto accident today. His death reminded me of how much I enjoyed his book Dangerous Wonder.
His journey into a "Childlike Faith" was very well written and gave a good insight into some of the missing aspects of today's Christian. I recommend this book to any Christian who is seeking a renewed wonder.
Thank you Mike for your wonderful book, your work with Youth Specialties, and your faithful work. You will be missed.
"A four year old girl leans into her baby sister's crib and whispers 'Baby, remind me what God sounds like, I am starting to forget.'"

5.0 out of 5 stars If this book doesn't move you, you're dead., Jan. 28 2002
Mark Marshall (Corpus Christi, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
Dangerous Wonder greatly moved me. It expanded my view of God and of his love.
Mike Yaconelli does the almost impossible with this brief, easy to read, book -- he helps us see the God Who is beyond words. He helps us see the love of God which is beyond comprehension. And he challanges us -- me -- to break out of the boxes we put ourselves and our faith in.
This is the best book I've seen on childlike faith and what it looks like to live it out. If you find your faith getting stale, dusty, and, yes, boring, get this book -- now.
Mark Marshall is the author of God Knows What It's Like to be a Teenager.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Wonder can set you free!!!, March 24 2001
Jennifer G. Partin (Louisville, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
I have read (poured over) this book 5 times. Each time my pulse races, my heart pounds with excitement and encouragement of following Jesus the Rule Maker. (If you struggle with rules of religion, you'll like His rules.) This is such a great book for everyone, the seeker, the new believer, the tired old burned out one, youth workers, ministers, everyone! You will cry, laugh, applaud as you find yourself somehwere in the pages of this book. If I could keep only two books from my library, I would keep my Bible and Dangerous Wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of such is the kingdom of heaven, June 2 2003
ESBYoda (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Wonder (Paperback)
So often the Christian path leads to a focus on a legalistic, sufering focused march. Here, Mike Yaconelli reminds us that Jesus was serious when he told us to be like the little children. Mike reaquaints us with a Savior who wants our "joy to be full" and our lives to filled with the Spirit. If you're discouraged about your faith, or if you've been put off by church in the past, or if you are a happy Christian that just wants to be reminded of the Joy of His pressence, then "Dangerous Wonder" is for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dangerous Wonder The Adventure od Childlike Faith
Dangerous Wonder The Adventure od Childlike Faith by Tremper Longman (Paperback - Sept. 29 2003)
CDN$ 16.73 CDN$ 12.99