5.0 out of 5 stars Which one to buy?
Since the content of Tolle's books has been covered well elsewhere, I'd like to address the person new to Tolle and wondering where to begin.
Published on April 14 2004 by AfroAmericanHeritage

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the original instead...
I bought both "The Power of Now" and "Practicing the Power of Now" at the same time and read both books quickly one after the other.
Published on July 11 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Which one to buy?, April 14 2004
This review is from: Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now (Hardcover)
In my personal experience, if I could only afford to purchase one book, I'd start with PRACTICING THE POWER OF NOW. I feel that it essentially restates the material found in the original POWER OF NOW but in a format I found easier to digest. I don't see much point in owning both books (which I currently do.)
If you connect with PRACTICING and want more, then I'd recommend the audio book/retreat Realizing the Power of Now: An In-Depth Retreat With Eckhart Tolle. (It's less than $10 if you purchase the audio file from Audible.) I'm only half way through listening yet I constantly find myself thinking "Ah...now I understand what he meant." It truly is an excellent supplement.
There is one more Tolle book here, STILLNESS SPEAKS. I borrowed this from the library. It's basically just out-takes from the other books, sort of a quotable quotes book that restates things in a nutshell. It would make a nice gift to a Tolle fan, but again, doesn't offer anything more than the other books. I suppose my message is: everything you need to know is in the original POWER OF NOW, stated perhaps more clearly in PRACTICING and excerpted in STILLNESS but supported well in audio format by the retreat CD.
I find Tolle's basic message very powerful, enlightening and simple. As he himself constantly repeats, he's not saying anything new...be here now. But he explains it in a way which finally connects the dots for me. Unfortunately, this simple message seems to be getting constantly repackaged and I hope it doesn't turn into a "Chicken Soup for the Enlightened Soul" series. (I should probably go make sure that's not the title of an actual book! <g>)
Curator, AfroAmericanHeritage dot com

5.0 out of 5 stars Practicing the Power of Now, June 26 2008
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
Practicing the Power of Now is a handy companion to Eckhart's wildly popular The Power of Now. Essentially, Practicing the Power of Now contains the same information as in the first book. However, I have to say that I prefer this format. The first book was written in a question answer format. These questions came from the author's students. He also included amalgamated questions that covered a variety of common queries. These question and answer sessions gradually took the reader from common perception through to an understanding of the illusions that we generally accept as real and the importance of the present moment.

Practicing the Power of Now is written in formalized chapters summarizing much of the material written that first book such as being and enlightenment; the origin of fear, entering the now, dissolving consciousness, etc. The best quotations, mediations, and exercises first previously presented are also included.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the original instead..., July 11 2005
By A Customer
I was disappointed to see that the "Practicing" book is, to me, no more than an abridged version of the original (even though some new material has been added in this one -- but you really have to search for it!). I was expecting a book with new ideas on how to exercise "the power of now" but obviously, I was wrong.
The complete material from the original book is your best bet -- and it costs a few bucks less than this "abridged" version too!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Feb. 18 2013
I now have a way better understanding of the book the Power of Now it has given me the depth i needed for more understanding

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Wisdom for Enlightened Relationships, April 20 2004
Barbara Rose (BornToInspire.com) - See all my reviews
There is so much breathtaking wisdom in this book. I wanted to give you a sample of Eckhart Tolle's profound guidance concerning relationships, as this area continues to plague men and women.
" Never before have relationships been as problematic and conflict ridden as they are now. As you may have noticed, they are not here to make you happy or fulfilled. If you continue to pursue the goal of salvation through a relationship, you will be disillusioned again and again. But if you accept that the relationship is here to make you conscious instead of happy, then the relationship will offer you salvation, and you will be aligning yourself with the higher consciousness that wants to be born into this world."
"Do not accuse each other of being unconscious. The moment you start to argue, you have identified with a mental position & are now defending not only that position but also your sense of self. The ego is in charge. You have become unconscious. At times, it may be appropriate to point out certain aspects of your partner's behavior. If you are very alert, very present, you can do so without ego involvement - without blaming, accusing, or making the other wrong."
"LEARN TO GIVE EXPRESSION to what you feel without blaming. Learn to listen to your partner in an open, nondefensive way.
Give your partner space for expressing himself or herself. Be present. Accusing, defending, attacking - all those patterns that are designed to strengthen or protect the ego or to get its needs met will then become redundant. Giving space to others - and to yourself - is vital.
Love cannot flourish without it."
This book brings you profound wisdom to free you from pain in all areas of your life, and bring you fully into the present to illuminate your true self. It is one to re-read many times, as well as to share with others.
Highly Recommended! Barbara Rose, author of 'If God Was Like Man'

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and Encouraging, July 4 2014
J M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I especially enjoyed the large print edition without having to don reading glasses! Eckhart seems to be able to read my mind by inserting the very questions I'd ask him after each segment of information. He shines a light on the programming that hums along in the background, sabotaging our best intentions By 'practicing the power of now', Tolle, believes that we can eliminate suffering for ourselves and others. I felt refreshed after reading this book, as well as encouraged to try his methods. His solution to being able to truly forgive others, alone, is worth the read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book review, April 14 2014
Book was ok. I had expected a lot more. Power of now book was a lot more powerful than this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely biased as I love all of Eckhart's work, Jan. 27 2014
Excellent addition to the Power of Now. My life was so transformed by Tolle's work that I am completely biased. So, a enjoy all his publications and DVDs. Therefore, I am not that reliable for an objective review of his material as I am ovely positive. But what can I say, I was on a path of complete self destruction and Tolle's Power of Now and A New Earth saved me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Enlightenment, Jan. 25 2014
This is a rewarding read for those of us ready to explore our spirituality. It expresses everything you know in a beautiful simplicity that only a good author can deliver. Open your mind to it's unending potential. This book will take you there and beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eckhart Tolle"s NOW, Oct. 9 2013
II slowly clarifies aspects of living as I reread the book. This will continue to
be helpful as my own insights expand. I would have preferred the non-shortened version, Tolle's writing can take expanding on--he doesn't get lost in obfuscations.. Randi

CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88